Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In house free agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fips

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRC signed a 2 year contract last summer, so expect him to be back next year. Is overthecap.com a realiable source? According to them we are about 1million $ under the cap. And that number contains the contracts of DRC, Tamme, Kuper and Bailey.

Carter, Duke and Holliday will be brought back to very cheap prices since they are ERFA

Chris Harris will sign a fair long term deal, as will Woodyard.

I think Moreno will be back, like several other guys because of the chance to win the super bowl.
Winder23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fips wrote:
DRC signed a 2 year contract last summer, so expect him to be back next year. Is overthecap.com a realiable source? According to them we are about 1million $ under the cap. And that number contains the contracts of DRC, Tamme, Kuper and Bailey.

Carter, Duke and Holliday will be brought back to very cheap prices since they are ERFA

Chris Harris will sign a fair long term deal, as will Woodyard.

I think Moreno will be back, like several other guys because of the chance to win the super bowl.
Kuper already took a large paycut and isn't under contract next season.

DRC's second season is either a player or team option, it is unclear as to which.

Harris is a RFA and we can match any offer given and tender him at a high level and match any offer.

Champ is 10 million dollar hit and will undoubtedly have to take much less or risk being released.

Dreessen and Tamme account for around 6 million combined and could be released or restructured.

The cap will not be a major concern next year, it is the year after that I worry about. Von and DT are FA's. If Manning is till playing it could be hard to get everyone signed.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt Manning plays any longer than next year, if he even does. To be completely honest with you, if we win it all this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him call it a career.

Thanks, Tzimisce
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I highly doubt Manning plays any longer than next year, if he even does. To be completely honest with you, if we win it all this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him call it a career.

Maybe the same for Champ as well.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

I expect Manning back next season. Remember how Elway's career finished? It wouldn't surprise me if the John's sit him down and tell him we're going for the repeat if he's interested.

In saying that, I don't think we see him in 2015. The contract was designed such that we can cut him cheaply after year 3, so I think that would be the natural retirement point. I always felt like year 1 was going to be the dry run, years 2 and 3 were the genuine superbowl shots, and if we win both, then even better.

If we come out of next season empty handed then it's time to let the era come through. Re-sign Von and Demaryius, let Bailey and Manning walk off into the distance, roll with Brock and probably make a coaching change.
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

I totally disagree. To be honest, if Manning can hold up and doesn't suffer any significant injury as well as have our Offensive Line bounce back to protect him well- I can see Peyton playing till 40.

Peyton is a total football guy and the only way I see him step away from the game is if he feels he can no longer perform at an elite level or if he is no longer willing to put in the grueling off season work.

If the Broncos win it all this year, I think it would have the opposite effect of what you suggest. I actually think it would motivate him to come back. Denver has a core group of talent that can keep our Super Bowl window open for at least 4 years.

Barring injury, I have no doubt in my mind, Peyton will give us at least 2 more seasons.
Were I a betting man I would put the odds at retiring after year 4 of his 5 year contract.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowshon Moreno Yes. He's one of the most important players on this entire offense. His pass protection skills alone make him worth bringing back.

Andre Caldwell - See ya

Eric Decker - If it wasn't for PFM's age/limited amnt of time left, I would say good riddance. He drops too many passes, and has been in the top 10 in that stat for the last 2 years for WR's with at least 40 targets. However, because PFM realistically has 1-2 seasons left, it's not worth the cost/time of shuffling up our starting receiving corps.

Trindon Holliday(ERFA) - Yes. He is a bit turnover prone, but his explosiveness is something that you just can't replace.

Zane Beadles, Winston Justice, Dan Koppen, Chris Kuper, Steve Vallos, JD Walton - We might keep Beadles, but the rest of these guys are gone

Robert Ayers, Shaun Phillips - We probably only keep one. I guess I'd rather keep Ayers, as long as he doesn't cost too much.

Mitch Unrein - Sure, why not? He's a good rotational guy, and he'll come cheap.

Stewart Bradley, Paris Lenon, Wesley Woodyard - Woodyard is our number 1 priority. The other two guys are gone.

Tony Carter(RFA), Chris Harris(RFA), Quentin Jammer, DRC - We'll keep Carter cause he's cheap, Harris because we'd be insane not too, and Jammer's gone. I would like to keep DRC too, but I don't know if we'll be able to afford him. Unless we give Champ the heave ho/restructure.

Mike Adams - I would like to keep him, as Duke seems to be a bit injury prone thus far. But Adams is a starting caliber safety for many other teams in the NFL, so he's probably gone.

Duke Ihenacho(ERFA) - We'll keep him for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
I totally disagree. To be honest, if Manning can hold up and doesn't suffer any significant injury as well as have our Offensive Line bounce back to protect him well- I can see Peyton playing till 40.

Get Clady back and then have team possibly investing a "high" draft pick (pick 32 hopefully) on a LG, the offensive line would be rock solid.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Champ is more likely to hang it up after this season if we win it all than Peyton.

paul-mac wrote:
and probably make a coaching change.

Why the hell would we do that? Fire a coach after winning one or two Super Bowls? If we win a Super Bowl with Fox, and especially if we win two, Elway will let Fox coach here as long as he wants to.

Something to keep in mind when talking about contracts and free agents to be, we have $10m in cap space this year, meaning a $10m roll-over for next year; thus if the cap next year is $130m, we can spend $140m on player contracts. The value of contracts we're obligated for in 2014 is $112.7m, leaving us with $27.3m (if my guesstimate of a $130m cap in '14 is accurate) to sign our in-house free agents, other free agents and our draft picks. And that's before we waive anyone currently under contract or re-negotiate some of the bigger contracts to make more room.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AnAngryAmerican"]I think Champ is more likely to hang it up after this season if we win it all than Peyton.

Totally agree.

paul-mac wrote:
and probably make a coaching change.

Why the hell would we do that? Fire a coach after winning one or two Super Bowls? If we win a Super Bowl with Fox, and especially if we win two, Elway will let Fox coach here as long as he wants to.

Something to keep in mind when talking about contracts and free agents to be, we have $10m in cap space this year, meaning a $10m roll-over for next year; thus if the cap next year is $130m, we can spend $140m on player contracts. The value of contracts we're obligated for in 2014 is $112.7m, leaving us with $27.3m (if my guesstimate of a $130m cap in '14 is accurate) to sign our in-house free agents, other free agents and our draft picks. And that's before we waive anyone currently under contract or re-negotiate some of the bigger contracts to make more room.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/[/quote]

Add another 6 mil to that number as spotrac has Kuper with a 6 mil cap hit in 14, but as Winder23 pointed out, Kuper is a FA next year after restructuring his contract. We are in great shape Cap wise. I have heard that the Cap will stay around the same next year as it was this year, around 123 mil.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Peyton is a total football guy and the only way I see him step away from the game is if he feels he can no longer perform at an elite level or if he is no longer willing to put in the grueling off season work.

If the Broncos win it all this year, I think it would have the opposite effect of what you suggest. I actually think it would motivate him to come back. Denver has a core group of talent that can keep our Super Bowl window open for at least 4 years.

Barring injury, I have no doubt in my mind, Peyton will give us at least 2 more seasons.
Were I a betting man I would put the odds at retiring after year 4 of his 5 year contract.

Plenty of players, especially ones as competitive as Manning, would like to go out on top. If he gets that chance, especially after a year where he's been injured, he's clearly lost some of his velocity, and he's getting older, there's certainly a chance he hangs it up.

I highly doubt he plays for the final few years of his contract, and I sure as hell don't see Manning playing till 40. Remember, at some point Manning will become ineffective. It happens to everyone. I'd rather we not pay him $20MM when that comes around.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Plenty of players, especially ones as competitive as Manning, would like to go out on top. If he gets that chance, especially after a year where he's been injured, he's clearly lost some of his velocity, and he's getting older, there's certainly a chance he hangs it up.

I highly doubt he plays for the final few years of his contract, and I sure as hell don't see Manning playing till 40. Remember, at some point Manning will become ineffective. It happens to everyone. I'd rather we not pay him $20MM when that comes around.

Thats a great point, but hes have the best year of his career, maybe the best year ever for a QB. I dont believe he would become ineffective in one off season. I wonder how many years he could keep up this pace?
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thats a great point, but hes have the best year of his career, maybe the best year ever for a QB. I dont believe he would become ineffective in one off season. I wonder how many years he could keep up this pace?

I think that his velocity has been better this year than last. It can still run hot and cold, but he seems to have strengthened it somehow. I can definatley see him playing until 40.

I truly dont understand why so many people are saying we sign Eric Decker over DRC. I know that Peyton and Decker have chemistry, but its a proven fact that you can plug-and-play WRs with Peyton. IMO losing an above average #2 WR is a far easier bullet to take than losing your above average #1 CB.

I also think that both Decker and DRC command between 7-8M per year. At that price, I go with DRC. They are the same age and CB is a harder position to fill than WR. Take Decker off the team and assume a WR picked in the 1st/2nd takes his spot. That player is likely to succeed because A) Peyton makes WR's look better than they are B) He will be the #4 weapon game planned for after DT, Julius and Welker, giving the rookie single coverages.

Now think of a CB to replace DRC. Bailey is done, Carter is below average. That leaves Chris Harris and Webster. We will need to either take a CB in the 1st/2nd (And IMO I trust a rookie WR to make a positive impact far more than a rookie CB) or sign one in FA, and the going price for a starting quality CB is likely 5-8M. So basically you are going to end up spending the $$$ anywats.

IDK if that made any sense. Basically I think we need to come out of the draft with a starting WR and starting LG. If we need to trade a pick or two to move up, go ahead. This team is deep as hell as it is and its unlikely all 7 picks could make the team anyways.
marktheshark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure everyone wants to get rid of Andre Caldwell. If a loss of Decker and King both happen, Caldwell knows the system.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marktheshark wrote:
Not sure everyone wants to get rid of Andre Caldwell. If a loss of Decker and King both happen, Caldwell knows the system.

Would not hurt to keep Andre- I def agree. However, Caldwell has intimated he is not happy just collecting checks not to play. I think he will go elsewhere next season where he believes he will get playing time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: