Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In house free agents
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: In house free agents Reply with quote

Going to have some interesting decisions coming up at the end of the season

What players would you like to see kept?

RB: Knowshon Moreno(1.31m club option)

WR: Andre Caldwell, Eric Decker, Trindon Holliday(ERFA)

OL: Zane Beadles, Winston Justice, Dan Koppen, Chris Kuper, Steve Vallos, JD Walton

DE: Robert Ayers, Shaun Phillips

DT: Mitch Unrein

LB: Stewart Bradley, Paris Lenon, Wesley Woodyard

CB: Tony Carter(RFA), Chris Harris(RFA), Quentin Jammer, DRC

S: Mike Adams, Duke Ihenacho(ERFA)

By the way, when you exclude these players, we're right on the salary cap, so there's going to need to be restructuring

Let's start with the players Denver has rights for. Right now it's a stick on that we bring Knowshon back at that price. It works well for the Broncos because they get him one more year cheaply, while Montee and Ronnie have another year as bit parters and hopefully take over in 2015. Trindon and Ihenacho will be brought back for peanuts. Chris Harris should draw the highest RFA tender and I expect Carter brought back cheaply.

Next, let's look at the starters who are UFA. They are Decker, Beadles, Ayers, Woodyard and DRC.

Wesley Woodyard strikes me as the key capture from that lot. Not only is he a very good LB in his own right, but the leader of our defense. I expect him to be tagged if we can't strike a long term deal.

Rodgers-Cromartie comes next for me. Champ Bailey is on the books for $9m next year, I'd rather pay DRC that money than Champ.

I'd let Rob Ayers walk. He's a good player, but we have Malik Jackson capable of doing the exact same job. Let someone else overpay him.

The remaining 2 are probably competing for one contract. Now Decker is the better player, but he would come in more expensive and we're far more set at WR than we are at LG. This is a difficult call. Personally I'm offering Beadles a one year 4m contract to prove himself.

Unrein, Caldwell and Phillips are the type of role playing vets that are handy to have around. Hopefully they all get one year deals.

That just leaves me with all the backup OL. I think JD Walton will be retained if the coaching staff think he can get back to his old level, at very least as a solid backup. Same goes for Chris Kuper. Justice and Vallos probably walk unless Clady is going to miss PT next season. Dan Koppen might get an opportunity to come to camp and compete with Walton for the backup C spot.

Thoughts?
brassglobos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I would love to keep Knowshon. The guy has been producing and been a great pro since Manning entered the building. Also, as of right now, Hillman/Ball/Anderson have yet to step up and take the job from him and they've had plenty of opportunities.

- I'm on the fence with Decker. This also would depend on contract size. I like Decker but I do think he is replaceable.

- Holliday is a Wildcard. He's a gamechanger. We should try to keep him at a good value.

OL - Honestly I'm not sure what to expect here. The OL has been in flux over the last few years because of injuries and guys coming back from injuries aren't playing at the a high level they were before said injury.

DE - Let Ayers walk. Keep Phillips.

DT- Unrein. Good role player, I see no reason to release him unless someone better comes along. He should be cheap to resign.

LB - WW needs to be resigned. The other two hacks shouldn't be on the team right now.

CB - Jammer walks. Carter walks. Harris and DRC should be retained.

S - Keep Duke, let Adams walk.
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm, simonwayne wrote:
Chiefs are taking this division. Mark my words fellas

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm, simonwayne wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see KC 2-0 Denver this year
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy re-sign:
- Knowshon Moreno
- Trindon Holliday
- Chris Harris
- Duke Ihenacho
- Tony Carter

Priorities:
#1: Wesley Woodyard
#2: DRC

#3: Eric Decker

#4: Shaun Phillips (1-2 year deal)
#5: Robert Ayers (2-3 year deal)

Let go:
S: Mike Adams
CB:Quentin Jammer,
LB: Stewart Bradley, Paris Lenon
DT: Mitch Unrein (brought back if he's really cheap)
OL: Zane Beadles, Winston Justice, Dan Koppen, Chris Kuper, Steve Vallos, JD Walton
WR: Andre Caldwell
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Easy re-sign:
- Knowshon Moreno
- Trindon Holliday
- Chris Harris
- Duke Ihenacho
- Tony Carter

Priorities:
#1: Wesley Woodyard
#2: DRC

#3: Eric Decker

#4: Shaun Phillips (1-2 year deal)
#5: Robert Ayers (2-3 year deal)

Let go:
S: Mike Adams
CB:Quentin Jammer,
LB: Stewart Bradley, Paris Lenon
WR: Andre Caldwell

I agree with this 100%. I would actually let Decker walk and either target a cheaper FA WR or go for one in the 1st. He will get overpaid IMO and isnt worth more than 5M a year (I see him getting close to 8M a year).

UFA Re-Sign (Order of Importance)
- Wesley Woodyard (4 years, 6M per year)
- Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (4 years, 7M per year)
- Robert Ayers (3 years, 3M per year)
- Shaun Phillips (2 years, 3M per year)

EFRA/RFA Tender
- Chris Harris
- Tony Carter (I would try to tender and deal for a 6th/7th rounder)
- Mitch Unrein
- Trindon Holliday
- Duke Ihenacho

Exercise the club option on Moreno.

Targets for Draft/Free Agency: OG, WR, DB, DE
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreno, Unrien, Decker, and DRC are about all that I think should be considered to be signed.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Moreno, Unrien, Decker, and DRC are about all that I think should be considered to be signed.

No Woodyard?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB: Knowshon Moreno :he deserves a new contract he showed his strength, reception, block, run. Flat wounds

WR: Andre Caldwell = no way. No special teamer , poor hands , bad runs..
Eric Decker= Yes but not high he's good no great , tendency to drop the ball
Trindon Holliday= excellent returner...when the ball is in his hands...many drops....i will...maybe yes maybe no

OL: Zane Beadles= not so expensive and helpful
Winston Justice, Dan Koppen,= why ? Bench depth...if necessary
Chris Kuper= Yes a piece of our Offensive Line when healthy
Steve Vallos= hummm who ?
JD Walton = see Beadles

DE: Robert Ayers= great work this season ...1 or 2 year to see
Shaun Phillips = certainly too expensive after this season

DT: Mitch Unrein= great ethic need a player like this to mentor younger

LB: Stewart Bradley= if we have salary cap space
Paris Lenon= no possibility to have a better player in the draft
Wesley Woodyard = easy YES ! overpaid but yes a need

CB: Tony Carter(RFA)= if not better player i'm agree
Chris Harris(RFA)= up and downs this season , if too expensive see you soon Chris
Quentin Jammer= no to expensive and not decisive
DRC = with Champ on the declin a sure things , Sign him

S: Mike Adams= utility player so look elsewhere
Duke Ihenacho(ERFA)= he deserve a another season to see if he's a good player
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

No Woodyard?

Ooops overlooked him. Of course Woodyard; but I think he would take payment in breakfast burritos.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick answers:

Mike Adams - maybe, he's a good backup
Robert Ayers - keep, solid run defender
Zane Beadles - see below
Stewart Bradley - bye
Andre Caldwell - bye
Tony Carter - maybe
Eric Decker - keep, I don't currently see any affordable replacement
Quentin Jammer - bye
Dan Koppen - bye
Paris Lenon - bye
Knowshon Moreno - keep
Chris Harris - keep
Trindon Holliday - keep, high risk/reward
Duke Ihenacho - keep
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - keep
Shaun Phillips - offer a low-cost 1-year contract to cover if Quanterus Smith can't play
Mitch Unrein - affordable backup
Steve Vallos - bye
JD Walton - unclear, depends on his recovery
Wesley Woodyard - keep!!

Zane Beadles has been okay but his 2013 season has been so-so. Without Clady on his side, Beadles looks weaker. While Beadles is very good at pulling blocks, he has been repeatedly beaten by stronger DTs.

Beadles may have a make it / break it game against KC because the Chiefs has a powerful DL. Looking at the 2014 draft, there are some top OGs available.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: In house free agents Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

What players would you like to see kept?

RB: Knowshon Moreno(1.31m club option)

We could bring in another vet, but Moreno has shown up this year and has a decent price on the team option

WR: Andre Caldwell, Eric Decker, Trindon Holliday(ERFA)

Decker knows he's in a good position here in Denver, we'll seek to sign him but on our terms. Holliday is questionable, he still is a loose cannon with his fumbles.

Like Beadles, he's played well but Fox likes size in his OG's and doesn't have it. Walton plays C an area we can use depth and he is hard working. Kuper will retire or go out on the market, either way he's done here. We'll draft an O-lineman in the draft.

DE: Robert Ayers, Shaun Phillips

Malik Jackson is coming of age and Q.Smith is coming off the PS, expected to replace the role of Philips/Doom. I could see Ayers resigning but I believe he'll be let go

Unrein could be signed, he's a very good journeyman. If we draft a DE, I could see Wolfe or Jackson replacing him.

LB: Stewart Bradley, Paris Lenon, Wesley Woodyard

Woodyard is a Captain and the heart of this D, he will be resigned. Lerentee McCray will replace the other two.

CB: Tony Carter(RFA), Chris Harris(RFA), Quentin Jammer, DRC

DRC will be signed, he's our new shut-down corner. Harris is the other starter, can't let either go. Carter is already on the bench but could be signed for the vet minimum, he can be a good backup.

S: Mike Adams, Duke Ihenacho(ERFA)

Duke is our starter, Adams will look for a starting GIG ELSEWHERE.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

No Woodyard?

or Chris Harris?
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Adams - Gone
Robert Ayers - Maybe if cheap
Zane Beadles - Maybe if cheap
Stewart Bradley - Gone
Andre Caldwell - Gone
Tony Carter - Gone
Eric Decker - Hopefully re-sign
Quentin Jammer - Gone
Dan Koppen - Retired
Paris Lenon - Gone
Knowshon Moreno - Gone (he is an UFR)
Chris Harris - Resign
Trindon Holliday - Maybe
Duke Ihenacho - Resign
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Resign
Shaun Phillips - Resign
Mitch Unrein - Resign
Steve Vallos - Gone
JD Walton - Resign
Wesley Woodyard - Resign

If we can sign all the bolded players I will be super happy.

Also we have 10 mil in cap plus another 10 mil in rollover before we sign any of these players.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I think you are right, except, I think Knowshon gets a deal with the Broncos. In fact, I think he will be a priority signing.
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody is top priority for sure. No doubt a deal gets done here. He deserves a long term deal. Heart and soul of the defense

I am not convinced Beadles is the answer at LG. He gets beat too often in pass pro by power and he doesn't move people in the run game. This draft is shaping up to be deep at the guard position if certain guys declare. I would be fine if the Broncos let Beadles wallk.

I am like many others when it comes to Decker. Wouldn't mind if he were resigned, but he has to take a hometown discount. Some team may try and overpay him, but I could see a scenario where he hits the open market and comes back to us after not liking what his value is.

Robert Ayers is worth bringing back. I could see a scenario where he and Shaun Phillips are brought back on one year deals. Ayers may get better offers elsewhere, but if Phillips wants to come back I'm sure the Broncos would give him another one year deal. If Q Smith can factor in it may make one of these guys expendable.

Knowshon is going to get extended. The club option also requires the Broncos to pay him a 5+ million dollar bonus. That is the way I understand it. Maybe the broncos can break that up into a 2 year deal or something. At any rate I see Knowshon coming back in 2014.

One other thing to consider is Champ's 9.5 million cap hit next season. Elway will almost certainly approach Bailey about a pay cut or even release him. I love Champ, but for the good of the team he needs to take a pay cut if not retire after this season. Winning a ring may make this reality easier on him.
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Adams - Walks
Robert Ayers - Walks
Zane Beadles - Walks, will be over priced, replaceable too.
Stewart Bradley - Walks
Andre Caldwell - Walks
Tony Carter - RFA Tender brings him back on a club controlled contract for a year. No negotiating rights, so he'll be back.
Eric Decker - #2 free agent priority for Broncos. Marrying Colorado girl, relationship with Peyton, Demaryius work in Denver's favor for hometown discount.
Quentin Jammer - Walks
Dan Koppen - Retire/Walk
Paris Lenon - Walk
Knowshon Moreno - Exercise club option to bring him back for the last year of his deal, as no young backs are ready, we don't have a choice and he doesn't have negotiating rights. It's team friendly so they'll definitely exercise the option. Good value, never thought I'd say that.
Chris Harris - RFA tender. Prob slap a 1 on him, he has no negotiating rights, he can't go anywhere.
Trindon Holliday - ERFA, no negotiating rights for two years, so he'll be back both.
Duke Ihenacho - ERFA, no negotiating rights for two years, so he's not due any new money for a while.
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - He's been great, but likely priced himself out of Denver, especially with all the cb's who signed 1 year deals last year hitting the open market, we can replace him cheaper.
Shaun Phillips- Deal would need to be team friendly, and off the year he's having, he should look for one more solid pay day. Don't expect him back.
Mitch Unrein- RFA with no negotiating rights, so he'll be back.
Steve Vallos - Walk
JD Walton - Walks unless deal is extremely team friendly.
Wesley Woodyard - #1 free agent priority.

The RFA and ERFA players really don't need to be listed. We don't need to worry about them yet, as they have no negotiating rights. As an RFA or ERFA you have to be real bad to be let go, as you don't have negotiating rights for your contract, and a UFA replacement likely costs as much or more than any of the RFA tenders. So those guys will all be back unless they lose their roster spot in camp - which I wouldn't expect any of them to.

Of our unrestricted free agents after this season, the priority should be:
1. Wesley Woodyard - D was atrocious without him for that short stretch.
2. Eric Decker - He's a good possession receiver, not a PFM product as he was producing with Orton too. Several things work in our favor to bring him back ok a discount, his wife is from Colorado and I'm pretty sure they built their "dream house" last year didnt they? He's also got a great relationship with Manning and Demaryius, two guys who could influence him to stay.
3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - He may be more vital to bring back than Decker given the talent group at their respective positions, but he's got no reason to show loyalty to Denver, and has earned himself a pretty significant raise. He'll seek that raise. I think the Front Office may continue their recent trend of finding their #2 cb at a discount, and asking them to sign a 1-year prove it deal, as they did the last two years. That or an early draft pick will likely replace DRC.
4. Zane Beadles - We've plugged and played along the line with some decent success this season. Not at Zane's position, but I bet the Front Office thinks they can do it there if he goes. His price will likely be inflated, I don't think we bite.
5. Robert Ayers - I like him, but we're ready with his replacement, and can't afford to pay him what he'll earn on the open market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: