Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CJ or Staff? Whos more important to the success of the Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whos more important to the Lions success?
Matt Stafford
64%
 64%  [ 18 ]
Calvin Johnson
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 28

MurfDLions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we didn't have Shaun Hill, I'd say Stafford. But since we do, Calvin.
WE-R-Lions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:
I took a dif look at the Q.

Obviously the QB positions is the leader of the every offense.

But for the Lions at this time one would have to say CJ.

My reasoning is looking at the player that would need to fill for said player if one of the two went down.

If Kris Durham had to fill in for CJ VS Shaun Hill filling in for Stafford.

Def's wouldn't need to double Durham and would focus on stopping Bush.

If Hill had to play Def's couldn't/wouldn't change that much.

Overall losing CJ would hurt the performance of the overall offense more than the losing Stafford.

For me, It comes down to our backups and how the Def's would adjust to the loss of each player.

I see what you are saying but thats just ranking backups. I see though that depending which one went down and given our team now, which player would be missed most.

If for the next ten years you could have Stafford or Megatron who would you choose?

It would be Stafford long term, but with our current team mix CJ would hurt us more this year.

Hill managed the team well for us when Stafford went down two years ago.

Cutler & Marshall Vs Josh McCown & Marshall could be a good example.
CHI shouldn't have played Cutler last wk and should have let McCown manage the team.

The flip side would be Rogers and Who?

Well, sure, because the gap between CJ and Durham is far greater than Stafford to Hill. That's a reflection of our lack of WR depth (and the quality of our backup QB) more than anything.

A bit off topic.....

I was a bit surprised we didn't draft a WR in rd 2 or 3 last year but focusing on our DEF and OL but we have seen improvements on both sides of the ball this year.

Next year I hope we keep improving our D Rd1 and maybe a WR in Rd2? Center Rd3??
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's sentiment sort of echoes this, but I'll say it again.

Calvin is better.

But a great quarterback, which Stafford has the potential to be and almost is, is much more important and very difficult to find.

I also hear the argument that Stafford's success is dependent on having Calvin around. No doubt that Stafford has benefited enormously from Calvin's presence, but I think if he had two solid WRs on the outside rather than one elite WR like Calvin, he'd be able to put up similar numbers if given the time to develop a rapport.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our roster it's currently Calvin.

If we had a better receiver core that could step up if Calvin went down OR if we didn't have such a capable back up in Hill then Stafford would be the more important of the two.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until recently, I would have said Stafford. But after seeing our offense without CJ earlier this year it seems clearly to be CJ. He does more for Stafford, Bush, Durham, Pettigrew than Stafford does.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
With our roster it's currently Calvin.

If we had a better receiver core that could step up if Calvin went down OR if we didn't have such a capable back up in Hill then Stafford would be the more important of the two.

This, absolutely.

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Until recently, I would have said Stafford. But after seeing our offense without CJ earlier this year it seems clearly to be CJ. He does more for Stafford, Bush, Durham, Pettigrew than Stafford does.

Me too. Stafford is clearly pretty important to the team's success, but it's pretty evident to me at this point that Calvin matters at least as much. The offense did *nothing* against Green Bay when he was out.

Stafford is getting pretty close to being indispensable, especially once Hill moves on with his career (which might be at the end of this season), but I do think this team has a better chance to win with Shaun Hill and Calvin Johnson than it would with Stafford and no Johnson.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people undervalue Stafford quite a bit. It's obvious how much of a difference Calvin makes to the team, but without Stafford, Calvin's impact isn't as signifiant. They have a very symbiotic relationship, and the Lions would suffer greatly without either of them. But, the franchise would fall into a black hole without Stafford.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising amount of confidence in a 33 yr old QB who has thrown 16 passes in 3 years.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Jeremiah (former NFL scout) on the Dave Dameshek podcast yesterday -

Someone asked who he would take as his QB between Romo and Stafford:

Jeremiah: "I would take Matthew Stafford over Tony Romo. If I had to go win a game at the park tomorrow I would take Matthew Stafford over Tony Romo. He's got more arm talent, he's got a freaky arm. He does not take sacks...look up his sacks he didn't get sacked again last week. He gets the ball out of his hands so quick. Everybody likes to say (in a mocking voice) "Oh, he just throws it up in the air to Calvin Johnson"....I don't know I think it's a little bit more than that. I think he does a good job directing that offense, gets the ball out of his hands and he's explosive."

Someone else: "I think he's got some swagger too."

Jeremiah: "Ohhh, look at that comeback win they had against Tony Romo where he throws that corner route 50 yards across the field. That's a rare throw."
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope we hold Stafford to a higher standard than "Tony Romo". And I think we do, otherwise this thread would have no debate whatsoever. The answer would clearly be CJ.

If that is the standard we are holding him to, I want a new team to root for.
nic_diggler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As awesome as CJ has been, Stafford has never seen 0-16. Stafford would have won a handful of games that year. I cant guarantee that, but the difference in Stafford and Kitna is laughable. And Stafford is our franchise QB. I dont think this is a hard question to answer. But this is a great question because we are very lucky to have a WR elite enough to have this debate.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
I sure hope we hold Stafford to a higher standard than "Tony Romo". And I think we do, otherwise this thread would have no debate whatsoever. The answer would clearly be CJ.

Eh. If it's CJ (which is clearly debatable), it's only because Hill is a far better backup QB than Durham is WR. We have absolutely terrible WR depth. That's the only reason.

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

Eh. If it's CJ (which is clearly debatable), it's only because Hill is a far better backup QB than Durham is WR. We have absolutely terrible WR depth. That's the only reason.
how do you even know this... how is hill better? You think he could make ittthrough a whole season bc I don't think he even think he can or he would even be our backup. Why not go get a different team. Dude is old and hasn't done crap in awhile.. we would be very lucky to win 5games with hill.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nic_diggler wrote:
As awesome as CJ has been, Stafford has never seen 0-16. Stafford would have won a handful of games that year. I cant guarantee that, but the difference in Stafford and Kitna is laughable. And Stafford is our franchise QB. I dont think this is a hard question to answer. But this is a great question because we are very lucky to have a WR elite enough to have this debate.

CJ wasn't the CJ we see today when we went 0-16. Pretty safe to say this CJ would not go 0-16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: