Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tragic Football Death from HS Football Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Give Parents the ability to get a tax right off for youth sporting equipment. The tax loss will be more than made up by a healthier population because it will get more kids playing sports.

2. Contact the NFL and NFLPA to provide money to set up a trust to help poorer school districts purchase proper head gear.

I like these ideas kind of but really the first one has basically no shot of happening with this regime, if anything they'll look to add a %5 tax on admission fee's, and sign up fee's. Rolling Eyes

But the second one can catch fire, if the NFL wants to and if they maybe want to save some face with a great PR move. Maybe you should contact them Diehard! How great would the NFL look going to places in Arkansas/Alamaba/DET/Compton etc giving away free equipment?

Maybe an exchange system too would help, exchange the old helmets for a discount price or something on the new?

Anyways I'm a firm believer that if you play football you know the risks going in as a parent, teen, and if your a child you really need to be spoken with by parents/coaches how dangerous things can be on field. That being said I'm all for most anything, esepcailly equipment ideas/enhancement to raise the standard of players safety. My last resorts are things like rules changes.

Best wishes though to the kids parents/family moving forward. This is an extremely unfortunate accident that unfortunately happens in this sport, attention to sacrifices like this one though helps move player safety in a better direction.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is I hope smart minds can get together on this before the government gets involved. Not to get into politics which is against rules simply think if more stuff like this happens you will see government get involved with legislation etc

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
Quote:
1. Give Parents the ability to get a tax right off for youth sporting equipment. The tax loss will be more than made up by a healthier population because it will get more kids playing sports.

2. Contact the NFL and NFLPA to provide money to set up a trust to help poorer school districts purchase proper head gear.

I like these ideas kind of but really the first one has basically no shot of happening with this regime, if anything they'll look to add a %5 tax on admission fee's, and sign up fee's. Rolling Eyes

But the second one can catch fire, if the NFL wants to and if they maybe want to save some face with a great PR move. Maybe you should contact them Diehard! How great would the NFL look going to places in Arkansas/Alamaba/DET/Compton etc giving away free equipment?

Maybe an exchange system too would help, exchange the old helmets for a discount price or something on the new?

Anyways I'm a firm believer that if you play football you know the risks going in as a parent, teen, and if your a child you really need to be spoken with by parents/coaches how dangerous things can be on field. That being said I'm all for most anything, esepcailly equipment ideas/enhancement to raise the standard of players safety. My last resorts are things like rules changes.

Best wishes though to the kids parents/family moving forward. This is an extremely unfortunate accident that unfortunately happens in this sport, attention to sacrifices like this one though helps move player safety in a better direction.

I agree, the first is unlikely to happen. A few years back the Canadian federal government changed tax law to allow parents up to $400.00 per child as a tax deduction for sporting equipment. It was a move designed to get more kids playing sports, especially hockey. Hockey has become pretty much an elitist sport. The costs are through the roof and its beyond the means of many parents to pay for their children's involvement with the sport. One of the fellas that worked for me until I retired has two boys that play in the tope league for their respective age groups. He spends over 10k per year, for each of the boys.

The second idea may have merit and the idea could probably generate interest from the previous mentioned organizations as well as physio therapy organizations, sports medicine associations, equipment manufacturers etc.

As part of that it may be possible to put together a national coalition studying and finding solutions to child safety in sports.

I think it was great that detfan started this thread. The more people talking about it and brainstorming possible steps to improve safety the more likely effective mitigation is found.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Bottom line is I hope smart minds can get together on this before the government gets involved. Not to get into politics which is against rules simply think if more stuff like this happens you will see government get involved with legislation etc

I agree. The longer it goes without meaningful working groups and measurable safety improvements the more likely it becomes that state and federal governments get involved.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: