Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is there any free agent corners available?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROYtheTOY313

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Is there any free agent corners available? Reply with quote

I've seen enough from Slay, I really liked what I seen from Don Carey and Bill Bentley has been banged up. If Carey goes down we'll all be back to watching Slay get abused so is there anyone we can bring in for atleast enough depth to keep Slay off the field ?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as Slay sucks right now he is still a rookie. Any guy you bring in has to learn system and such.

At this point I think Slay/Mathis have to finish out year there

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any free agent corners available? Reply with quote

ROYtheTOY313 wrote:
I've seen enough from Slay, I really liked what I seen from Don Carey and Bill Bentley has been banged up. If Carey goes down we'll all be back to watching Slay get abused so is there anyone we can bring in for atleast enough depth to keep Slay off the field ?

The obvious name is Nmandi Asomugha. I think we are better of standing pat. He hasn't been himself since signing with Philly and he cleared waivers for a reason.

We have a group of young corners, Slay included. I think we should see what we have. At least they know the defense and have upside. I can't see anyone else coming in and improving the team.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a shame how much Slay gets ripped when, in reality, he's pretty decent. Considering his age, the position he plays, and the level of competition, mistakes should be expected.

Team Stylish
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a rookie and needs to time. Not sure how much time is appropriate but he needs an honest chance to progress. If no improvement next year then it might be time to move on.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I think it's a shame how much Slay gets ripped when, in reality, he's pretty decent. Considering his age, the position he plays, and the level of competition, mistakes should be expected.

Disagree. He is quite terrible even when you consider his age and mistakes. Not a lot of promise there. Very bad instincts, stiff, and a relatively poor tackler.

I do however think he deserves more time out there. Maybe he is just raw and is having growing pains. I haven't seen much to be hopeful about but he is young, he is athletic, and maybe he does have something.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone out there that would be worth it. Aso and Perish Cox come to mind but they aren't great.

I think Slay deserves his time out there and we have to work through the growing pains. I think bringing someone in would only stunt his growth. I haven't seen much promise in Slay but he does deserve time out there to see what he has. Maybe he will grow into it.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never liked the pick..liked the position just not the pick. If he don't figure it out another wasted 2nd rd pick. They should have stuck to there bpa thing...
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Disagree. He is quite terrible even when you consider his age and mistakes. Not a lot of promise there. Very bad instincts, stiff, and a relatively poor tackler.

Strongly disagree. Even against CHI: he was often in great position, but a dominant WR made the play. (Second reception to Marshall is a great example: he was on him, and even had a hand on the ball, but Marshall came down with it.) He definitely isn't a reliable tackler, but seems to have the speed and ability to be competitive against the very good WRs.

Considering the way things are in terms of the passing game, I think Slay has the right skill set to be a quality starter. He just needs time.

Team Stylish
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Strongly disagree. Even against CHI: he was often in great position, but a dominant WR made the play. (Second reception to Marshall is a great example: he was on him, and even had a hand on the ball, but Marshall came down with it.) He definitely isn't a reliable tackler, but seems to have the speed and ability to be competitive against the very good WRs.

Considering the way things are in terms of the passing game, I think Slay has the right skill set to be a quality starter. He just needs time.

Even more strongly disagree. Wink

He relies on his speed and raw athleticism to be around plays. Thats how he got by in college but its not translating well into the NFL. I think he has some qualities there to be a good starter-athleticism, long arms, speed.

Other qualities that you have to have like the ability to read plays and have good instincts, I don't think he has it. At least not yet. I do think he is raw though and could grow into it.

I think he does deserve more time. We can't give up on him yet. If I were a betting man though I think it was a wasted pick. I could be wrong and I would be happy to be wrong about this. I also don't think bringing in a aged veteran would help either. So thick or thin we are stuck with Slay.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You disagree with my statement that he has the right skill set to be a quality starter, but needs time, then point out that he has qualities that could make him a good starter, and could grow the ones he lacks over time.

It sounds like your strong disagreement is agreeing with me.

Team Stylish
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Even more strongly disagree. Wink

He relies on his speed and raw athleticism to be around plays. Thats how he got by in college but its not translating well into the NFL. I think he has some qualities there to be a good starter-athleticism, long arms, speed.

Other qualities that you have to have like the ability to read plays and have good instincts, I don't think he has it. At least not yet. I do think he is raw though and could grow into it.

I think he does deserve more time. We can't give up on him yet. If I were a betting man though I think it was a wasted pick. I could be wrong and I would be happy to be wrong about this. I also don't think bringing in a aged veteran would help either. So thick or thin we are stuck with Slay.

Doesn't sound like you guys disagree.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has-athleticism, speed, and long arms.

He does not have-instincts or the ability to read plays. Also he is stiff at times. Easily burned.

So he does have 3 qualities that a solid starter should have. He also does NOT have some qualities a solid starter should have. These are big qualities that are missing but they could be learned or improved.

I do not think he will ever get there. Give him all the time and coaching in the world and he will never get there. Thats my opinion. I just don't think he has it. He isn't NFL starter material. Never will be.

So we do agree in part. He has some qualities a starter should have and he needs more time.

We do not agree on the fact that he will ever get there.
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz talked about how CB is the toughest position in all of sports (I believe he said all of sports, not just football). You have the best athletes in the world running at you full speed, knowing full well where they are going, whereas a DB does not know where the WR is going. I think since Slay has the athleticism to keep up with these guys (he has the physical components necessary to do the job), we'd be foolish to cut our losses and try to find someone else on the market. It would be the type of reactionary move that would leave us worse off. Slay hasn't been a beast, but I think he has been okay given it's his first year. That isn't to say some aspects of his game haven't been below where you want them to be at this point.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CutParisLenon wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
I do think he is raw though and could grow into it.

Doesn't sound like you guys disagree.

Ah thanks for catching this. I think he is too raw and won't grow into it.

Messed up typing that out and that may be where the mixup is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: