Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Marshall: Lions are little brothers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Its a changing of the guard and Marshall like many Bears fans simply can't deal with the truth.

They show a total lack of respect for an up and coming team that bested them twice this season.

Late hits? Perhaps but it's not always possible to hold off when in motion. Beside the fact the officials are on the field and everyone knows that given any opportunity the official will flag Suh.

Dirty play?

Last season the Lions committed one more personal foul than the Bears. When you review lat seasons penalty calls the Bears lead the league in most categories involving late or over aggressive hits while the Lions lead the league in false starts and encroachment penalties. The two sides were tied in face mask calls while the Lions lead the league in low blocking violations including chop blocks.

Since Suh was suspended he's been flagged for two personal fouls. Last year he had one personal foul which means 145 players received more than him.

The fact of the matter is the Lions have significantly reduced personal fouls since 2010 but it's just easier for opposing fans to ignore the truth.

In the case of certain Chicago fans it's also a clear cut case of selective memory.

Julius Peppers is one of the nastiest players in the league and has a long history of late hits on QB's. Everyone seems to forget he was fined for a late hit on Stafford which occurred earlier in the game when Peppers put Stafford out. He was also fined 10k for a late hit on Rodgers and in another instance escaped a fine on one of the most blatant cases of leading with the helmet I have ever seen that resulted in a nasty helmet to helmet hit on Rodgers.

I don't view Suh or Peppers as dirty players. They play on the edge and occasionally cross the line but that goes with the territory of aggressive defensive players. My point is simply you can't isolate a single player ignoring all the others who play the game the same way.

Great summary! Everyone simply tags them dirty without looking at their own team.

That game Tillman had two personal fouls against Det. Not all personal fouls are dirty either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It regards to us being "dirty", it shocks me as to what people consider to be dirty plays. As far as I've ever known hitting a QB as he throws the ball is a perfectly good defensive play, but now it's labeled dirty by fans of opposing teams and often called as roughing the passer.

^daboyle250
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gl81 wrote:
It regards to us being "dirty", it shocks me as to what people consider to be dirty plays. As far as I've ever known hitting a QB as he throws the ball is a perfectly good defensive play, but now it's labeled dirty by fans of opposing teams and often called as roughing the passer.

You can think the NFL for that. I am fine with protecting players and such but it has gotten out of hand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Long added his 2 cents:

Quote:
"All that trying to get the quarterback out of the game, that's all well and good," Long said. "But there's a certain level of respect you have for your peers. And to do some of the things that are done on a football field when they come on the football field. ... it's unfair to pin it on the entire defense, there's a lot of good guys, a lot of guys who are just trying to play their butts off. But there are some guys who are doing some things that are bush league."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9966427/detroit-lions-say-brandon-marshall-anti-detroit-rant-uncalled-for

I'm not even sure what he's trying to say. The Lions are bush league for trying to get the the QB? Just because it didn't look like the Bears were trying to get to Stafford doesn't mean that every other team in the NFL doesn't try to get to the QB too.

I am glad that it looks like the Lions players are taking the high road though.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
gl81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this illustrates why the Bears have always been my most hated team, even over the Packers.

The feelings expressed by the players are most definitely a reflection of how a big portion of their fanbase feels.

We're better than them now and will likely be for a while, barring any major injuries. They're mad about it.

^daboyle250
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Kyle Long added his 2 cents:

Quote:
"All that trying to get the quarterback out of the game, that's all well and good," Long said. "But there's a certain level of respect you have for your peers. And to do some of the things that are done on a football field when they come on the football field. ... it's unfair to pin it on the entire defense, there's a lot of good guys, a lot of guys who are just trying to play their butts off. But there are some guys who are doing some things that are bush league."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9966427/detroit-lions-say-brandon-marshall-anti-detroit-rant-uncalled-for

I'm not even sure what he's trying to say. The Lions are bush league for trying to get the the QB? Just because it didn't look like the Bears were trying to get to Stafford doesn't mean that every other team in the NFL doesn't try to get to the QB too.

I am glad that it looks like the Lions players are taking the high road though.

It is what it is. They are sore losers. Can't take it with class.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

That was actually one of our cleaner games. Confused

Only late hit I recall on Cutler was by Fairley.

Everything else was fair game.

If you cant stand the heat, then get the heck out the kitchen.

Marshall and Cutler are such a great couple, arent they?

detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Wow.

The Long comments are best. His dad was known as one of the dirtier players of his time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if guys like Suh and Fairley are the biggest scum bags in the the NFL than where does it put Butkus?

I'd say he had a label that wasn't....clean.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Wow.

The Long comments are best. His dad was known as one of the dirtier players of his time.

Yup, and playing on what's considered the dirtiest team of all time.

In most sports it seems teams with superior strength and aggression usually get labelled dirty.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Wow.

I thought his comments were the best for another reason. If you don't want the opposing team tackling and hitting your QB.... THEN BLOCK THEM!! Especially coming from an OL. Laughing
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going against the grain here, I think Fairley did play bush league ball and I was disappointed in him. I do think that his tackle at the end was a saving grace for some people in their eyes but he made some questionable decisions out there.

However, it does sound like Long is just bitter and I don't think he was innocent in some of the things that go down in the trenches.

I do think that Marshall's comments were unecessary and childish. Sore loser taking cheap shots. I'm glad the Lions are responding the way they are. They aren't taking the bait.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
Going against the grain here, I think Fairley did play bush league ball and I was disappointed in him. I do think that his tackle at the end was a saving grace for some people in their eyes but he made some questionable decisions out there.

However, it does sound like Long is just bitter and I don't think he was innocent in some of the things that go down in the trenches.

I do think that Marshall's comments were unecessary and childish. Sore loser taking cheap shots. I'm glad the Lions are responding the way they are. They aren't taking the bait.

Farley had the one where he took him to the ground, but was grabbing him when he still had the ball. It was excessive, but I don't think it was anything extreme.

Team Stylish
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:

Farley had the one where he took him to the ground, but was grabbing him when he still had the ball. It was excessive, but I don't think it was anything extreme.

I don't think it was extreme either but it was questionable and a little bush league. I can understand Long's frustrations.

Fairley just has to play smarter. I like him being this aggressive but he could make better decisions.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Wow.

I thought his comments were the best for another reason. If you don't want the opposing team tackling and hitting your QB.... THEN BLOCK THEM!! Especially coming from an OL. Laughing

Laughing awesome point. Block like a man. Don't whine like a school girl.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: