Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Much Has Eagles Defense Really Improved?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: How Much Has Eagles Defense Really Improved? Reply with quote

On paper the Eagles have only given up 17.7 points per game in their last 6 games. How good is that? If they were given up that margin over the course of the season it would be TOP 5 in the entire NFL. It's basically half the PPG they gave up their first 4 games of the season at 34.5.

I can only go by the numbers, but since you guys have watched all the games, how much has it improved?

I thought that if Eagles had even an average to slightly above average defense they could be Super Bowl contenders. I never expected they could have the turnaround like that after that Chargers and Broncos game

So how much of it is improvement and how much of it is opponent?

And is Vinny Curry still riding the pine?
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the D has improved alot, everyone seems to be meshing and fixing dumb mistakes they made earlier in the season. Next year with the defensive draft picks coming in it can only get better.

Also Vinny Curry is a boss

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defensive improvements almost directly coincided with Patrick Chung's injury. Probably just a coincidence, but we haven't been repeatedly burned deep with Allen and Wolff.

Our tackling has improved a lot. Still not perfect, but damn, we were really bad at tackling the last few years.

I think weeding out Sopoaga also makes the defensive front better. Cox is playing great, and so is Thornton. I would like to see Curry get more snaps.

As far as linebackers, we'll have to see what happens to Kendricks' knee. He's been inconsistent, but I fear this is one of those "you never know what you have till it's gone" type situations.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've improved for sure, but I think they've also benefited from playing some weak offenses (GB w/ no Rodgers, NYG during their funk, TB with Glennon, OAK mailing it in). With saying that, they have done what they've been asked to during that span.

Also, Vinny leads the team in sacks while playing only a fraction of the snaps.
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinny Curry hasn't been riding the piune in some time. Averaging about 25 snaps a game.

But yeah the defense has improved. Less blown coverages and wide open guys (except for pat Chung coming in)...

Guys like Earl Wolff, Curry and Kendricks have really improved since early on and you've seen the difference. Obviously some is the opposition but I like where we're headed. We have the best D in the division IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
We've improved for sure, but I think they've also benefited from playing some weak offenses (GB w/ no Rodgers, NYG during their funk, TB with Glennon, OAK mailing it in). With saying that, they have done what they've been asked to during that span.

LOL WOW Shocked Shocked

Imagine how even more improved it could be if he got more PT
BBIB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Our defensive improvements almost directly coincided with Patrick Chung's injury. Probably just a coincidence, but we haven't been repeatedly burned deep with Allen and Wolff.

Our tackling has improved a lot. Still not perfect, but damn, we were really bad at tackling the last few years.

I think weeding out Sopoaga also makes the defensive front better. Cox is playing great, and so is Thornton. I would like to see Curry get more snaps.

As far as linebackers, we'll have to see what happens to Kendricks' knee. He's been inconsistent, but I fear this is one of those "you never know what you have till it's gone" type situations.

From rewatching the CHargers game and Broncos game your safety play was atrocious. That makes sense for it to be improved. And tackling was awful in the Nnamdi era.

Will be interesting to see your vastly improved defense go up against the Redskins again who have turned things around at least offensively themselves the last few weeks and who scored 27 points albeit it twice garbage time the last game.

Last edited by BBIB on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, our young front is niceeee.

And Connor Barwin has been better than I expected. He is consistently setting the edge and keeping everything inside and he has a number of batted balls this season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:

And Connor Barwin has been better than I expected. He is consistently setting the edge and keeping everything inside and he has a number of batted balls this season.

And isn't that front ridiculous young too? Like all those guys of Logan, Curry, Thornton, etc 25 and under?
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
Bleedin_Green36 wrote:

And isn't that front ridiculous young too? Like all those guys of Logan, Curry, Thornton, etc 25 and under?

Yeah, them 3 and Cox are the main 4 guys and all very young. They've made this transition to a 3-4 so much smoother.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will see how good our defense is when we face the redskins next week. Yesterday we still gave up almost 400 yards to a Rodger-less offense. Championship teams do not do that.. This also takes me back to the "is Rodgers a system quarterback" debate, Matt Flynn lit it up in his absence and now Tolzien put on a pretty good show for being a 3rd stringer.

Intelligence is like a river. The deeper it is... the less noise it makes.
LOLKevinKolb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
Vinny Curry hasn't been riding the piune in some time. Averaging about 25 snaps a game.

Yeah, he got 28 snaps yesterday

Quote:
On defense: Roc, Nate, Barwin, Demeco, Cary all 79, Goode 70, Chung 64, Cole 62, Cox 62, Thornton 46, Logan 38, Boykin 32, Curry 28, Geathers 18, Graham 17, Wolff 15, Square 13, Colt 7, Kendricks 2.

https://twitter.com/RoobCSN

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLKevinKolb wrote:
Yeah, he got 28 snaps yesterday
28 of 79 total snaps. That's been his highest total yet iIrc. Basically, he plays around 30-35% of snaps in any game. Yet, he gets after the QB better than anyone else this season. Maybe it's because he's fresh, or maybe because he usually only plays pass situations. But the fact is, he gets after it.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 10 in the league

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Poloc2289

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else think Goode played quite well yesterday?

I thought his blitzes were extremely well-timed and he looked to be making a few plays.

PowerElite wrote:
Please stop responding to my posts. You are a consistently terrible poster and aren't worth my time to thoroughly refute your drivel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: