Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do Overs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halradio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Do Overs Reply with quote

The Rams season all but ended on the sideline in Carolina with Sam Bradford holding his knee his face contorted in agony.

However I would argue the Rams season was already in jeopardy thanks to some very questionable decisions that scream "Do Over".

1. Rams RB Competition

A question that I am sure is on many a Ram's fan mind is - How in the name of Eric Dickerson was Zac Stacy not the opening day starter?

Was it concerns about blitz pick up? Did they think Richardson would ever be more than a change of pace guy. Or were they hoping Isaiah the invisible man Pead would justify that high draft pick?

Whatever the reason it's glaringly obvious the Rams brain trust whiffed on this one. In six games he has amassed 533 yards on the ground, 102 yards receiving and 4 TDs - production the Rams were desperately needing in the first quarter of the season.

2. Back up Plan for Insert position here

In the era of the salary cap teams can't afford to have high priced back ups riding the pine. And yes being right up against the cap the Rams didn't have a lot of wiggle room here.

That being said Fisher and Snead rolled the dice on a lot of positions - the ones that stand out include the o-line, secondary (especially safety), and of course QB. Unfortunately more often than not the dice came up snake eyes.

3. Not realizing something was very wrong with Finn.

Not sure what the Rams coaches were seeing here but from just everyone else's perspective there was something very wrong with Cortland Finnegan. I mean how does a guy go from one of the leagues up and coming corners to the second coming of Tye Hill?

I mean he was like an ATM - dial a pass in his direction and it was money.

Now I realize this an exercise in armchair quarterbacking and hindsight is always 20/20. That being said Fisher and company are being paid a lot of dough to make the right call not head scratchers like the ones above.
Brodie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair with Stacy he missed a lot of time during camp and preseason with soreness and was behind on the playbook I believe. No idea how we didnt get an adequate back up QB tho smh

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
Halradio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of experts were questioning the back up QB situation. The Rams offense relies on the QB making plays with his arm. That's not the Clemens everybody knows.

And to be fair the losses to the Boys and Falcons masked Richardson's inadequacy because they fell behind early. That being said i think the staff was giving Pead too many chances to prove his lofty draft status.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
A lot of experts were questioning the back up QB situation. The Rams offense relies on the QB making plays with his arm. That's not the Clemens everybody knows.

And to be fair the losses to the Boys and Falcons masked Richardson's inadequacy because they fell behind early. That being said i think the staff was giving Pead too many chances to prove his lofty draft status.

That draft class is seriously underwhelming so far. Brockers has been okay, Quick and Pead have been worthless, and Janoris gives up multiple big plays every week. Goo.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't go from one of the worst stretches in football history to starting to be competitive again without having a lot of holes. Limited number of draft picks and salary mean tough decisions have to be made. Some of our middle round picks have been starting or contributed to the team already. Who would you have rather had a back up then them? Sure it would be easy to replace the Pead pick with someone like Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins but all that is hindsight. A replacement to aging Jackson was a much higher need at that point than a back up QB in my opinion.

In hindsight, if the Rams had drafted better with the previous regimes they wouldn't be in this position.
jjab360

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Halradio wrote:

That draft class is seriously underwhelming so far. Brockers has been okay, Quick and Pead have been worthless, and Janoris gives up multiple big plays every week. Goo.

Johnson, Givens, Zuerlein, and Richardson have all been contributors as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Halradio wrote:

Underwhelming? Laughing

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Halradio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are almost always going to some misses in every draft class and when you have three second round picks, it certainly adds pressure to get them right. Honestly with the exception of Pead, IMO the Rams did a pretty decent job last year with what they got.

What got my goat was -

They had a pretty good idea towards the end of last season SJAX was not going to be wearing Rams Blue and Gold for this season. Yet it took the first quarter of the season to get an adequate replacement.

They installed a pass heavy offense and signed a back up QB whose completion percentage hovers just north of 50 percent.

And they have arguably the youngest secondary in the league and nobody picked up on the fact the guy they were counting on to anchor it couldn't run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: