Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coaching candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10102000/ken-whisenhunt-radar-houston-texans

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
dsorc wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
I am 100% for Ray Horton as HC and Kyle Shanahon as OC. Our offense was at its best when Kyle was here and Ray could easily improve our defense. I know McNair wants head coach experience, but I hope he considers Ray. I think he would work well here.

Kyle Shanahan is probably the most overrated coach in the NFL. He has been the OC in name only both in Houston and Washington as in both cases the HC is the one actually running the offense. As to the myth of Kyle giving us good offenses, I will point out that in his 2 years being OC (2008 and 2009) our offense suffered from the same issues it had before and after Kyle, high in yards but low in scoring. Schaub looked best in those years in part because of our issues with defense and running the ball which inflated his passing yards.

we improved big time the 2nd year Kyle was here, we were 10th in scoring that year.

And in the 3 years after that we were 9,10 and, 8. And let's not forget they were 17th in scoring in 2008 under Kyle though they were 12th in 2007 before Shanahan.

so we agree, Kyle Taught Gary how to be better in the red zone and then Gary failed to remember this season?

LOL, Im just kidding. I for sure want Ray Horton, but Im not sold on a OC. I would be intrigued by Kyle though.

I said it before, it will be easier to hire an OC as HC and then promote someone from another team to DC rather than hire a DC as HC and get a new OC. I don't want any of the OCs who will be available as a lateral move and Im not sure who will be out there (like qb coaches or other assistants) that are worth looking at....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10102000/ken-whisenhunt-radar-houston-texans

I like it. I dont see whats wrong with Whisenhunt as HC. Aside from Warner, who has he worked with that you would consider a franchise or good QB? He is also doing a good job with Phillip Rivers this season.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
My pipe dream starts off in NY, as either Tom Coughlin or Rex Ryan should be fired at the end of the season. Heck, could be BOTH looking for work this offseason.

Both are different - in fact, they're probably on opposite ends of the spectrum - but both strive for results, aren't afraid to call folks out to the carpet when things go wrong, have a way of motivating players to really achieve and have tried and true experience in coaching a winner.

In a perfect world, Coughlin is brought in as HC, and Sexy Rexy would be the DC/Assistant HC; Coughlin would be an ACTUAL HC, not a glorified coordinator - his job would be to draw up the gameplan from a holistic perspective, not getting down into the weeds of actually making playcalls for either side of the ball. Ryan would take the existing pieces of this defense and do what he does best - isolate JJ Watt and build around him for the front seven, take Jonathan Joseph and put him into position to be a smarter, better player, while molding the talented DJ Swearinger into something more than a hitting machine with a knack for getting penalties.

From there...the Texans would return the favor and hire Titans WR coach Dave Ragone to serve as OC (given that Bruce Matthews was a Texan-bred coach before jumping to join Munchak in Nashville). The work he's done with Kendall Wright and a bunch of nobodies is nothing short of phenomenal. A former 3rd round pick of the Texans (and a former Louisville QB...hint, hint...wink, wink...) it would be a nice reunion in Houston, would force the Titans' hand in finding a quality replacement at a critical spot, and he'd work wonders with the likes of Hopkins, Posey...heck, might even get a bit more out of Keshawn Martin, all while continuing to help AJ with his HOF run.

The Coughlin/Ryan pairing might be a pipe dream, but Ragone would be a great fit in Houston.

I would have mixed feelings about bringing Rex in. I think he's a great DC, but I absolutely can't stand the guy. All-in-all, if he came in and was successful, I would be able to ignore his pompous attitude with the media. To me, he seems too flashy for a McNair hire, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't have a problem with Coughlin.

The reason you dislike him is one of the reasons I want him - he's brash, he brings a LOT of cockiness, he's not afraid to keep the foot on the pedal, and he looks for his unit to physically impose their will on others.

I'm tired of the soft, "aww shucks" country bumpkins who have ran this team. Give me some edge for once.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Marco79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

I'm tired of the soft, "aww shucks" country bumpkins who have ran this team. Give me some edge for once.

There is a middle ground though between these two extremes that is much more appealing.
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing strong, persistent rumors that the next head coach is Kevin Sumlin.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClain ruled out Shanny (thank god) and Gruden

Kenney, idk how I feel about that.....I would have to wait and see who the DC is. Although, I think Teddy would fit Sumlins system very well.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClain ruled out Sumlin as a candidate in the same article he ruled out Shanny and Gruden. McNair wants a coach with NFL experience to go along with HC experience. Sumlin has only coached in college so that rules him out, and they are looking at Shaw because he has coached in the NFL as an assistant with the Ravens.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

Wishful homers being wishful. Sumlin just signed a six year extension with the Aggies, I highly doubt that he'd opt out of this contract, EVEN if the NFL came knocking.

Sumlin knows where the money is in this state - prove he can win with a QB that HE recruited, take the Aggies to a BCS bowl, let Jason Garrett get axed next season, and then Jerruh will basically give him a blank check, something McNair CAN do, but won't...which is a good thing, because I think Sumlin will be CRUSHED at the NFL level.

Let Jerruh overpay for Sumlin.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

There is a middle ground though between these two extremes that is much more appealing.

Which is why I'd prefer Tom Coughlin. Not exactly Ryan-esque with the loudmouth antics, not exactly Kubiak-esque with the aw shucks moments. He'd demand accountability from his players, coaches, staff...all while being accountable to them in return.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

Wishful homers being wishful. Sumlin just signed a six year extension with the Aggies, I highly doubt that he'd opt out of this contract, EVEN if the NFL came knocking.

Sumlin knows where the money is in this state - prove he can win with a QB that HE recruited, take the Aggies to a BCS bowl, let Jason Garrett get axed next season, and then Jerruh will basically give him a blank check, something McNair CAN do, but won't...which is a good thing, because I think Sumlin will be CRUSHED at the NFL level.

Homers? Aggie fans don't want Sumlin to leave. Try again. An Sumlin hasn't signed his extension.
LORK 88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

Homers? Aggie fans don't want Sumlin to leave. Try again. An Sumlin hasn't signed his extension.

I think he was implying that the Texans fans were the homers for thinking Sumlin would leave, not the A&M fans.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

IIRC he HAS SIGNED his contract, but is waiting on the Board of Regents (?) to ratify his contract. Bureaucracy in action!
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we've been linked to Bill, O'Brien, David Shaw, Lovie Smith and Ken Whisenhunt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
So far we've been linked to Bill, O'Brien, David Shaw, Lovie Smith and Ken Whisenhunt.
I have also heard Nick Saban linked to you.

Sig bet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: