Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coaching candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2h
McNair just indicated he wants to talk to Lovie Smith.

*vomit* Maybe the most overrated head coach in NFL history. Beloved by all NFL and media types and hated by anyone who had to watch his football team play.

Lovie is a great head coach and defensive guy, he just needs a great OC to go with him and Id be ok with that move...I think you grossly under rate him as a head coach,

Yep. The dude go canned after going 10-6. How often does that happen, unless your Marty Shottenheimer. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with Lovie IF he would bring in an OC with a creative offense and not someone like Mike Tice or mike Martz.

Based on McNair's description I an pulling for Hue Jackson as HC. I also would love to have him as an OC for someone like Lovie.
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
I would be fine with Lovie IF he would bring in an OC with a creative offense and not someone like Mike Tice or mike Martz.

Based on McNair's description I an pulling for Hue Jackson as HC. I also would love to have him as an OC for someone like Lovie.

Puke x 100. He can't even get a OC gig. People want hue but lovie is overrated. We need to keep the ZBS because all the OL personel is based on the ZBS. Unless you want to add the OL to the list of rebuilding. Marinelli will only come here unless we hire Lovie or Gruden who he has worked with and respects.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
dsorc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what McNair said, Lovie Smith is the coach that immediately came to mind. McNair wants somebody with prioir experience and proven sucess. Lovie was fired even though he finished with a 10-6 record in his last season and 84-66 career record. The scheme shift to a 4-3 would not be that difficult as Phillip's 3-4 is not a 2-gap system. Antonio if retained would be the LE, Watt the UT, and Merciluss the RE. It will be interesting to see if Cushing would be kept at MLB or moved back to Sam and our other LBs need to be replace no matter the scheme.

Another comment on offense, I wouldn't say we are tied down to the ZBS. We only have one OL that might be of concern in a PBS and that's Myers. Our LG and RT need to be replaced either way, Duane Brown is good in either scheme and Brooks probably fits a PBS better. I am much more worried about our TEs that are pure pass catchers and the lack of a speed WR. And obviously, any new coach will likely need to bring in a QB but if we're lucky we'll be able to grab Bridgewater to fix that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFT is reporting that the top canidates for the texans are Lovie, Gruden, Shanny, Whisenhunt, and Tom Cable.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
pledger_shaggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Like Pete Carmicheal from the Saints think Sean Peyton influence on him and the offense might be just the thing because the Saints when at thier best they have a very balanced offense that runs the ball very well but the perception is they throw all the time

David Shaw would be a good Candidate but I don't think he's leaving Stanford

Bill O'Brein is another quality coach had Brady look what he did for Matt McGloin at Penn State seems like a great guy but does he want to leave Penn State after going through everything they've gone through with him taking that Job under those circumstances would he leave those kids after that?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one at the top of my wish list which is Seattle OC Darrell Bevell - Look what he's doen with Russell Wilson - The key is finding a guy who could bring along a young QB whether its Keenum or a top draft pick like Teddy Bridgewater

Lovie Smith in Chicago never had a good offense and they won despite awful QB play and with a young QB in the fold one way or the other this is noth the guy to help bring along a young QB and has no competence when it comes to the offensive side of the ball

Big ups to Lork 88 on the Sig...AFC South Champion Houston Texans!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pipe dream starts off in NY, as either Tom Coughlin or Rex Ryan should be fired at the end of the season. Heck, could be BOTH looking for work this offseason.

Both are different - in fact, they're probably on opposite ends of the spectrum - but both strive for results, aren't afraid to call folks out to the carpet when things go wrong, have a way of motivating players to really achieve and have tried and true experience in coaching a winner.

In a perfect world, Coughlin is brought in as HC, and Sexy Rexy would be the DC/Assistant HC; Coughlin would be an ACTUAL HC, not a glorified coordinator - his job would be to draw up the gameplan from a holistic perspective, not getting down into the weeds of actually making playcalls for either side of the ball. Ryan would take the existing pieces of this defense and do what he does best - isolate JJ Watt and build around him for the front seven, take Jonathan Joseph and put him into position to be a smarter, better player, while molding the talented DJ Swearinger into something more than a hitting machine with a knack for getting penalties.

From there...the Texans would return the favor and hire Titans WR coach Dave Ragone to serve as OC (given that Bruce Matthews was a Texan-bred coach before jumping to join Munchak in Nashville). The work he's done with Kendall Wright and a bunch of nobodies is nothing short of phenomenal. A former 3rd round pick of the Texans (and a former Louisville QB...hint, hint...wink, wink...) it would be a nice reunion in Houston, would force the Titans' hand in finding a quality replacement at a critical spot, and he'd work wonders with the likes of Hopkins, Posey...heck, might even get a bit more out of Keshawn Martin, all while continuing to help AJ with his HOF run.

The Coughlin/Ryan pairing might be a pipe dream, but Ragone would be a great fit in Houston.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
PFT is reporting that the top canidates for the texans are Lovie, Gruden, Shanny, Whisenhunt, and Tom Cable.

Cable would likely be out b/c of ALLEGEDLY beating asst in Oakland and domestic abuse allegations
YellowSCRE4MS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I would love if that happened ET. It does sound like a huge pipe dream tho lol.
We need a coach that's gonna have balls and hold everyone accountable, no more of treating these grown man like "the kids" smh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
My pipe dream starts off in NY, as either Tom Coughlin or Rex Ryan should be fired at the end of the season. Heck, could be BOTH looking for work this offseason.

Both are different - in fact, they're probably on opposite ends of the spectrum - but both strive for results, aren't afraid to call folks out to the carpet when things go wrong, have a way of motivating players to really achieve and have tried and true experience in coaching a winner.

In a perfect world, Coughlin is brought in as HC, and Sexy Rexy would be the DC/Assistant HC; Coughlin would be an ACTUAL HC, not a glorified coordinator - his job would be to draw up the gameplan from a holistic perspective, not getting down into the weeds of actually making playcalls for either side of the ball. Ryan would take the existing pieces of this defense and do what he does best - isolate JJ Watt and build around him for the front seven, take Jonathan Joseph and put him into position to be a smarter, better player, while molding the talented DJ Swearinger into something more than a hitting machine with a knack for getting penalties.

From there...the Texans would return the favor and hire Titans WR coach Dave Ragone to serve as OC (given that Bruce Matthews was a Texan-bred coach before jumping to join Munchak in Nashville). The work he's done with Kendall Wright and a bunch of nobodies is nothing short of phenomenal. A former 3rd round pick of the Texans (and a former Louisville QB...hint, hint...wink, wink...) it would be a nice reunion in Houston, would force the Titans' hand in finding a quality replacement at a critical spot, and he'd work wonders with the likes of Hopkins, Posey...heck, might even get a bit more out of Keshawn Martin, all while continuing to help AJ with his HOF run.

The Coughlin/Ryan pairing might be a pipe dream, but Ragone would be a great fit in Houston.

I would have mixed feelings about bringing Rex in. I think he's a great DC, but I absolutely can't stand the guy. All-in-all, if he came in and was successful, I would be able to ignore his pompous attitude with the media. To me, he seems too flashy for a McNair hire, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't have a problem with Coughlin.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 100% for Ray Horton as HC and Kyle Shanahon as OC. Our offense was at its best when Kyle was here and Ray could easily improve our defense. I know McNair wants head coach experience, but I hope he considers Ray. I think he would work well here.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an innovator.

I saw a terrific quote from Bill Walsh the other day (the creator of the WCO of course) and he said something close to, "The WCO doesn't work because its a perfect system, but because we innovated."

Gary knew how to run an offense. But we ran the same damn thing for 8 years. I think the biggest innovation we had was motioning a back out of the backfield.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

dsorc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I am 100% for Ray Horton as HC and Kyle Shanahon as OC. Our offense was at its best when Kyle was here and Ray could easily improve our defense. I know McNair wants head coach experience, but I hope he considers Ray. I think he would work well here.

Kyle Shanahan is probably the most overrated coach in the NFL. He has been the OC in name only both in Houston and Washington as in both cases the HC is the one actually running the offense. As to the myth of Kyle giving us good offenses, I will point out that in his 2 years being OC (2008 and 2009) our offense suffered from the same issues it had before and after Kyle, high in yards but low in scoring. Schaub looked best in those years in part because of our issues with defense and running the ball which inflated his passing yards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Kyle Shanahan is probably the most overrated coach in the NFL. He has been the OC in name only both in Houston and Washington as in both cases the HC is the one actually running the offense. As to the myth of Kyle giving us good offenses, I will point out that in his 2 years being OC (2008 and 2009) our offense suffered from the same issues it had before and after Kyle, high in yards but low in scoring. Schaub looked best in those years in part because of our issues with defense and running the ball which inflated his passing yards.

we improved big time the 2nd year Kyle was here, we were 10th in scoring that year.
dsorc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
dsorc wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

we improved big time the 2nd year Kyle was here, we were 10th in scoring that year.

And in the 3 years after that we were 9,10 and, 8. And let's not forget they were 17th in scoring in 2008 under Kyle though they were 12th in 2007 before Shanahan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: