Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Jay Cutler the guy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9593
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Is Jay Cutler the guy? Reply with quote

I know he was banged up today and I know he was trying to fight through.

But I keep waiting for a run of games or even a single game where Cutler shows me that no doubt he is the guy. That he is a franchise QB worth us investing in and building around.

I have seen a ton of good with Jay and I am a Cutler fan, but I cannot stand on the table and say he is a franchise QB that needs to be re-signed.

It is only worsened by the fact that everytime McCown gets under center he years it up and makes mistake free football.

I know it is tough to find a QB and I sat through the terrible QBs since 2000, but I do not know why I am so indifferent towards Cutler at this point in his career.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7114
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jay Cutler the guy? Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
It is only worsened by the fact that everytime McCown gets under center he years it up and makes mistake free football.

So far. He's having a nice hot streak right now, but it's only going to take one 3-INT game for the fanbase to sour on him.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9593
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jay Cutler the guy? Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
It is only worsened by the fact that everytime McCown gets under center he years it up and makes mistake free football.

So far. He's having a nice hot streak right now, but it's only going to take one 3-INT game for the fanbase to sour on him.


I should want to sign Cutler to an extension. I have always been a fan of his.

But is this offense better with less of an athlete, but a guy who makes good decisions and throws accurate passes.

I just don't understand why I feel the way that I do.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7114
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jay Cutler the guy? Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
But is this offense better with less of an athlete, but a guy who makes good decisions and throws accurate passes.

That's probably true. A big arm is much less of a requirement compared to what Martz was trying to do.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9593
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jay Cutler the guy? Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
But is this offense better with less of an athlete, but a guy who makes good decisions and throws accurate passes.

That's probably true. A big arm is much less of a requirement compared to what Martz was trying to do.


Cutler is like the girlfriend you really like, but I do not know if I want to Marry her.

I know he is talented, but even when healthy I do no see a consistent game where we move the ball and score consistently.

Bengals: NO
Vikings: NO
Steelers: NO
Lions: definatly not
Saints: NO
Giants: NO
Lions: NO
Redskins: Pass

I am struggling to still get excited about flashes of dominance or of elite play.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22237
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have to get rid of the whole “franchise QB” statement…I think it’s an outdated statement that apply to about only 4 guys in the entire NFL…

Do I think Cutler is a QB like Manning or Brady who regardless of who you put around him he is still going to win games? No…

Do I think he is worth the $20+ million a year that “franchise QB” gets paid? No…

That said do I think Cutler in this offence with guys like Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett & Forte around him and an Oline playing well can move the ball and score points consistently? Yes…

Do I think Cutler in this offence with a strong D can win us a super bowl and make us a consistent playoff contender? Yes...

So that makes it all about the money…if Cutler wants $20 million a year then it’s bye bye because that wouldn’t allow us to surround him with the amount of talent we need to be a consistent playoff contender…if Cutler is looking for closer to $13-15 million then let’s get him signed up and work on improving the talent on the D to make his job easier…that kind of money may be under market value for a “franchise QB” but Cutler surely realises that he is in a great situation here and at 30 years old does he really want to move to a new team with a new system which will more than likely be a bad team if they are willing to spend $20 million a year on Cutler…I’m not so sure he would and let’s be honest for his production (which I don’t totally blame on him but the terrible OCs we have had in the past) that $13-$15 million a year is far from a slap in the face.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9593
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of myself as a rational Bears fan.
I like and appreciate what Jay Cutler has done as a Bear.
I know that Cutler is a good QB and one of the best we have ever had.

Why am I not able to get up on the table and passionately demand that we need to re-sign Cutler?
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nads786


Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 4156
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I like to think of myself as a rational Bears fan.
I like and appreciate what Jay Cutler has done as a Bear.
I know that Cutler is a good QB and one of the best we have ever had.

Why am I not able to get up on the table and passionately demand that we need to re-sign Cutler?


Because he's not consistent if McCown lights it up again next week it's time to question if Cutler is holding back this offense
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Nads786


Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 4156
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
I think we have to get rid of the whole “franchise QB” statement…I think it’s an outdated statement that apply to about only 4 guys in the entire NFL…

Do I think Cutler is a QB like Manning or Brady who regardless of who you put around him he is still going to win games? No…

Do I think he is worth the $20+ million a year that “franchise QB” gets paid? No…

That said do I think Cutler in this offence with guys like Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett & Forte around him and an Oline playing well can move the ball and score points consistently? Yes…

Do I think Cutler in this offence with a strong D can win us a super bowl and make us a consistent playoff contender? Yes...

So that makes it all about the money…if Cutler wants $20 million a year then it’s bye bye because that wouldn’t allow us to surround him with the amount of talent we need to be a consistent playoff contender…if Cutler is looking for closer to $13-15 million then let’s get him signed up and work on improving the talent on the D to make his job easier…that kind of money may be under market value for a “franchise QB” but Cutler surely realises that he is in a great situation here and at 30 years old does he really want to move to a new team with a new system which will more than likely be a bad team if they are willing to spend $20 million a year on Cutler…I’m not so sure he would and let’s be honest for his production (which I don’t totally blame on him but the terrible OCs we have had in the past) that $13-$15 million a year is far from a slap in the face.



100% agree if he wants max money franchise him and draft a QB
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9593
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nads786 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I like to think of myself as a rational Bears fan.
I like and appreciate what Jay Cutler has done as a Bear.
I know that Cutler is a good QB and one of the best we have ever had.

Why am I not able to get up on the table and passionately demand that we need to re-sign Cutler?


Because he's not consistent if McCown lights it up again next week it's time to question if Cutler is holding back this offense


I just do not know what is missing. Everything is in place and whether it is health or inconsistency something is missing.

I just wonder if Trestman can get this level of play from a limited athlete journeymen QB what can he get from a hand picked rookie after a year or 2?
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nads786


Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 4156
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Nads786 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I like to think of myself as a rational Bears fan.
I like and appreciate what Jay Cutler has done as a Bear.
I know that Cutler is a good QB and one of the best we have ever had.

Why am I not able to get up on the table and passionately demand that we need to re-sign Cutler?


Because he's not consistent if McCown lights it up again next week it's time to question if Cutler is holding back this offense


I just do not know what is missing. Everything is in place and whether it is health or inconsistency something is missing.

I just wonder if Trestman can get this level of play from a limited athlete journeymen QB what can he get from a hand picked rookie after a year or 2?


Once Cutler is done our judgement will be aligned with reality he's a mid tier QB with an int problem.

I'm ready to find our Russell Wilson
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 17967
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nads786 wrote:

I'm ready to find our Russell Wilson


Why Russell Wilson? As far as Jay Cutler being the guy its pretty clear to me he is. If he is healthy he is starting over Josh McCown. No questions asked. I think Jay can take the Bears to the Superbowl and win one.

I have no problem drafting a QB. But I have a problem letting Jay Cutler go and drafting a QB. We could possibly be in for a few rough years if that happens.
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 858
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I like to think of myself as a rational Bears fan.
I like and appreciate what Jay Cutler has done as a Bear.
I know that Cutler is a good QB and one of the best we have ever had.

Why am I not able to get up on the table and passionately demand that we need to re-sign Cutler?


Likely because of the heavy contract and injury issues, combined with the influx of talent at the position that has done so well (especially the 2012 class). Jay holds the ball too long and gets crushed sometimes, and he will have those games that frustrate the hell out of you, though with talent around hi they are more rare for sure. He hasn't been able to stay healthy for 16 games since his first as a Bear, and he will never get MVP recognition. But he is the best QB the Bears have had in my lifetime. I would love to have him for 2-3 years, and have a young QB to be groomed, but we don't know if that new player will be a bust. I just want a justifiable price for him, as he is not elite and doesn't deserve elite money, but he is well above average and with a real defense we could have only lost 2 games this year. I can't blame him for that.

Regardless of franchise titles or anything, Jay has played well this year. He has been superior to Brady this year, and Brady is a future HOF player. That alone shows how important surrounding talent is, and Jay has not even been in the same system like Brady has for much of his own career. While I wouldn't throw $20mil at him, I have no problem paying the man what he is worth, I just don't want to risk a long contract on a QB who is 30. So I will just go with whatever Emery says and hope he, Trest, and Kromer choose correctly. They know better than any of us what they want and need from a position, and they will place the value accordingly. If Jay meets the requirements, he'll get paid.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie Poster of the Year

Next year I'm adopting all the NFC North rivals


Thanks to chisoxguy7 for the awesome sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5346
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Nads786 wrote:

I'm ready to find our Russell Wilson


Why Russell Wilson? As far as Jay Cutler being the guy its pretty clear to me he is. If he is healthy he is starting over Josh McCown. No questions asked. I think Jay can take the Bears to the Superbowl and win one.

I have no problem drafting a QB. But I have a problem letting Jay Cutler go and drafting a QB. We could possibly be in for a few rough years if that happens.
Wilson because he wants us to use a mid round pick and get a day one franchise QB.

If it were only that easy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Athelite


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 1253
Location: #1 Russell Wilson fan #HOF
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge Cutler fan. I loved him in denver. I remember that career year he had especially that thursday night against the browns. When we traded for him I literally ran around the house screaming "YESSSSS!!!" I even bought his jersey and its the only jersey I have ever bought.


Unless Jay miraculously heals and goes on a Flaccoesque playoff run kinda scenario I am done with Cutler. He just doesn't win the games you need him to. He makes too many bad decisions. Aaaand now he's injury prone. He'll be 31 next year. Would I be opposed to franchising him? Not at all. Would I be opposed to giving him a smaller deal than expected? not at all. Do I want to screw over the next half decade for this franchise by giving him a mega deal? HELL NO
_________________

^Takeonme^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group