Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would we do next year if....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: How would we do next year if.... Reply with quote

We didn't manage to draft a game changing QB and got Clowney with the second pick, drafted a project QB in the second round, drafted a OG in the third round and a C and RB in the fourth round, and used the rest of the picks on cornerbacks, linebacker, and DT?

You think we'd still be bad enough to get the number 1 pick next year and have a chance at Winston if he comes out?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our one and only chance at the first pick in the Dave/Gus era.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Vino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

What makes you say that? If we still have inadequate QB play next year there's no guarantee we'll be that much better. Look at the Texans. They have a lot of talent and JJ Watt but they're 2-7 because of poor QB play.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't go through another year like this.

We need to get our qb this year. Don't care how, just get him.

Credit to IPwn for da sig
Vino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also they'll need more time to build up a great defense than just a year, which is the only way to win games in the NFL without a good QB. If we have a middling defense next year with no QB we'll still be losing a lot of games.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would really depend on how the QB we hypothetically selected in the 2nd round played.

If they were to play well, we'd win a lot more games than if they busted completely or weren't ready to start at all that year and we had to trudge onward with a Chad Henne at the helm.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
iPwn wrote:

What makes you say that? If we still have inadequate QB play next year there's no guarantee we'll be that much better. Look at the Texans. They have a lot of talent and JJ Watt but they're 2-7 because of poor QB play.
Yeah, they're 2-7, should finish around 6-10 and won't be in play for the #1 pick.

It takes a special kind of bad to get the #1 pick. Look at how bad we are this year and you still don't think we are going to get the #1 pick. What makes you think that another good offseason will put us closer to getting that pick? We've already trimmed all the "good" players from the roster that need to be removed, so all the moves from here out are just going to make the team better.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Vino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Yeah, they're 2-7, should finish around 6-10 and won't be in play for the #1 pick.

It takes a special kind of bad to get the #1 pick. Look at how bad we are this year and you still don't think we are going to get the #1 pick. What makes you think that another good offseason will put us closer to getting that pick? We've already trimmed all the "good" players from the roster that need to be removed, so all the moves from here out are just going to make the team better.

That's not necessarily the case. We're going to have a bunch of young guys on both sides of the ball with the only exceptional talents being possibly Clowney and Blackmon if he comes back. Still having a mediocre QB at the helm could poison the team at that point.

I'm saying this, but I really really really hope Bryce Petty comes out this year. If we miss out on Bridgewater and get him instead I won't be mad at all. He hasn't been talked about a lot since this is his first year starting at Baylor and they only just faced their first real opponent yesterday, but the kid is doing just as good as Winston this year low key. And he's eligible to come out I think because he's redshirt sophomore. You look at him statistically and he's a better passer than RGIII was for Baylor and he's 6'3'' 230. I wouldn't be mad if they took him over Bridgewater to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
Also they'll need more time to build up a great defense than just a year, which is the only way to win games in the NFL without a good QB. If we have a middling defense next year with no QB we'll still be losing a lot of games.

We lack a lot on defense, but considering how awful our talent level is (lower than what Caldwell/Khan originally thought), we will likely add a decent piece or two in FA. You'd be surprised what a good pass rusher could do to this defense. I like our talent at corner, there just hasn't been enough pass rush from the LEO/everyone but Marks. We have 10 picks at least coming up in this next draft with a lot of money to spend to add some good depth/maybe a nice piece or two like Michael Johnson. I don't think we're drafting in the top 3 next year if we do some decent things in FA and Caldwell does his thing in the draft.

#BortlesKombat
.Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
iPwn wrote:

That's not necessarily the case. We're going to have a bunch of young guys on both sides of the ball with the only exceptional talents being possibly Clowney and Blackmon if he comes back. Still having a mediocre QB at the helm could poison the team at that point.

I'm saying this, but I really really really hope Bryce Petty comes out this year. If we miss out on Bridgewater and get him instead I won't be mad at all. He hasn't been talked about a lot since this is his first year starting at Baylor and they only just faced their first real opponent yesterday, but the kid is doing just as good as Winston this year low key. And he's eligible to come out I think because he's redshirt sophomore. You look at him statistically and he's a better passer than RGIII was for Baylor and he's 6'3'' 230. I wouldn't be mad if they took him over Bridgewater to be honest.

I've heard some good things about him and he might have the tools to be pretty good at the next level, but no other QB should be picked over Teddy in this class...none.

#BortlesKombat
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I like Bryce Petty, but that'd be awful. Awful, awful, awful.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Vino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that probably was much, but I like Petty's size and speed. He looks more athletic than Bridgewater to me. He's built big but he has deceptive speed like Luck.

Either way, if Petty doesn't come out and we miss out on Bridgewater I'll be pissed if we draft a QB over Clowney. Don't think Caldwell would do it that though thankfully.

What you guys think of taking Derek Carr in the second round?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can't get Teddy or Mariota, I'm taking Clowney.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Vino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be upset if they take Mariota over Clowney.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
I'll be upset if they take Mariota over Clowney.

I wouldn't be, if we do take Mariota they obviously are confident that we can coach him up and he will work well here. I would be ecstatic to come out of the draft with any of Teddy/Mariota/Clowney/Barr to be honest, I like all of them a lot and think any one of them would be serious building blocks (Teddy overall though obviously).

#BortlesKombat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: