Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Updates: The Swiss Army Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Starting next Monday, the Vikings can renegotiate or extend tight end Kyle Rudolph's rookie contract.

Rudolph: "I want to be a Minnesota Viking for life. I love it here, I want to stay in Minnesota. They're the team that drafted me, and I love our ownership. I'm very happy with the organization."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24783448/tight-end-kyle-rudolph-i-want-be-minnesota

from the Spielman thread:
milanb wrote:
Worst of all you've undermined the players' confidence in the entire organization.

eh, maybe not.

Id love to get Rudolph locked up now before he breaks out. Further, id rather resign Rudolph then put that money towards overpriced second tier free agents.

One of the benefits of having lousy drafts in 2010 and 2011 is there aren't many guys that need to be locked up long term. Griffen, Fusco and Rudolph are probably it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Starting next Monday, the Vikings can renegotiate or extend tight end Kyle Rudolph's rookie contract.

Rudolph: "I want to be a Minnesota Viking for life. I love it here, I want to stay in Minnesota. They're the team that drafted me, and I love our ownership. I'm very happy with the organization."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24783448/tight-end-kyle-rudolph-i-want-be-minnesota

milanb wrote:
Worst of all you've undermined the players' confidence in the entire organization.

eh, maybe not.

The truth is, we really don't know how any of the players really felt about the game of musical quarterbacks the Vikings played this year, because if any of them had any doubts about the coaching staff or front office they weren't about to air them publicly. That's just the way things work in the world of professional sports.

All I know is what I was hearing from a multitude of analysts who played or coached the game at this level. It's very unusual for a team to parachute in a QB in mid-season like that and start him ahead of two healthy incumbent QBs. Mostly because of the basic fact that football is a game of timing and repetition, and asking a guy who was struggling to begin with to step in with only a week's worth of first team reps is not being particularly realistic. But there's also the human side of it. Football is also a game of emotion and QB by its very nature is a position of leadership.

Rudolph himself is close friends with Christian Ponder, from what I understand. We can only imagine how he felt about Ponder suddenly becoming persona non grata a month into the season. But business is business. He's not about to trash the Vikings organization while he's negotiating an extension.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players care more about business then hurting feelings. Who cares if Rudolph and ponder are buddies. They can still remain close if ponder is on another team. You could argue that Rudolph may not get a huge payday because of ponder holding him back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlson retires - Does that free up his contract?
Same as him being cut.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players are profession.
Ponder as well.
If Ponder gets cut (for example), everyone gives him a handshake and moves on.
If Ponder catches on as a backup somewhere else, and that team plays Minny next year, Rudolph & Ponder can go grab a steak somewhere they week of the game. Thats a buddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

milanb wrote:

eh, maybe not.

The truth is, we really don't know how any of the players really felt about the game of musical quarterbacks the Vikings played this year, because if any of them had any doubts about the coaching staff or front office they weren't about to air them publicly. That's just the way things work in the world of professional sports.

All I know is what I was hearing from a multitude of analysts who played or coached the game at this level. It's very unusual for a team to parachute in a QB in mid-season like that and start him ahead of two healthy incumbent QBs. Mostly because of the basic fact that football is a game of timing and repetition, and asking a guy who was struggling to begin with to step in with only a week's worth of first team reps is not being particularly realistic. But there's also the human side of it. Football is also a game of emotion and QB by its very nature is a position of leadership.

Rudolph himself is close friends with Christian Ponder, from what I understand. We can only imagine how he felt about Ponder suddenly becoming persona non grata a month into the season. But business is business. He's not about to trash the Vikings organization while he's negotiating an extension.

All of which contradicts what he has actually said. At some point, you have to have something other than conjecture and hearsay to back up a theory. Especially when there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:

All of which contradicts what he has actually said. At some point, you have to have something other than conjecture and hearsay to back up a theory. Especially when there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

???

"Hearsay" means I presented as evidence something I claimed to hear someone say. I did no such thing.

It's also more than just "conjecture" when the team on the field looked like they were in disarray in mid-season. Freeman was signed on October 6. Look at what happened the following six games:

Week 6: blown out by Carolina 35-10
Week 7: blown out by the 0-6 Giants 23-7 in Freeman's only start
Week 8: blown out by the Packers 44-31
Week 9: lost 27-23 to a bad Cowboys team
Week 10: narrowly beat an awful Washington team 34-27
Week 11: blown out 41-20 by Seattle

It wasn't until late in the season that the team looked like they were actually rallying around a QB, and it turned out to be Matt Cassel.

Anyway, it's the holiday season and I really don't want to get into a flamewar over this issue.

wcblack34

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
All I know is what I was hearing from a multitude of analysts who played or coached the game at this level.

milanb wrote:

"Hearsay" means I presented as evidence something I claimed to hear someone say. I did no such thing.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
They are deficient in talent/personnel; an area where Bevell has no control.

Doesn't stop people from wanting Williams fired.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
They are deficient in talent/personnel; an area where Bevell has no control.

Doesn't stop people from wanting Williams fired.

Top ten scoring offense vs worst scoring defense in the NFL; succeeding despite insufficient talent vs complete failure.

Yup, they're the same.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
milanb wrote:
All I know is what I was hearing from a multitude of analysts who played or coached the game at this level.

milanb wrote:

Repeating analysts' opinions on an online forum is not "hearsay", especially when those opinions were already publicly available for the world to read or hear.

In fact one of the people who was sceptical of the whole thing was Fran Tarkenton:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24364407/fran-tarkenton-vikings-auditioning-josh-freeman-embarrassing

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

the fact remains you are yet to produce any data to corroborate this happening. no direct quotes from any players who felt this way, even if it was temporarily. analysts' opinions mean nothing, they're not on the team, they're entertainers and HAVE to create schism for viewers to watch their schtick.

and do keep in mind you used the plural term, "players," so there should be multiple data pieces to substantiate it. where are they?

i have no problem with you or anyone else simply saying they didn't like how the situation was handled, or thought it was dumb/improper/wasteful/unprofessional or whatever. but there's no need to invent reasoning for it and attribute it to others very close to the situation, when we have no real data that they feel that way and agree with you.

but yes, the most important thing here is... Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward All.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

but yes, the most important thing here is... Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward All.

Well, I think people are reading way more into my comments than was intended...

I'm really not inclined to discuss it any further.

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year to everyone.

Very Happy

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Happy Christmas and Merry New Year to everyone.

Very Happy

may your stocking get stuffed!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GoesslingESPN: Audie Cole is out. #Vikings just placed Cole on injured reserve, signed Robert Steeples from the practice squad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 11 of 33

Jump to: