Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft Game - The Rams Hired You as GM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: NFL Draft Game - The Rams Hired You as GM Reply with quote

Alright guys, I thought I'd throw out an interesting game. When the Rams hired Jeff Fisher two years ago, they chose to hire you as GM. With you as GM, who would you have chosen in the last two drafts?(THIS ONLY COVERS THE 2012 AND 2013 DRAFTS)

Free Agency stays the same just to keep things from being too complicated.

Rules
1. If you choose to not go through with the RGIII trade and you want to select RGIII and trade Sam Bradford...your only option for compensation in that trade is the Browns #22 pick used to choose Brandon Weeden. But keep in mind that you lose all the other picks we acquired in the RGIII deal.

2. Do your best to be honest. It's your choice if you want to go back and look at your posting history to see what players you liked or if you want to go strictly by memory. But the point of this game is NOT for a person to go through the draft and pick every player that panned out at each pick...unless you are just that accurate. The point is for you to do your best to choose the players you would have wanted at the time.

3. Limit your trade downs. You can't trade down from every pick and on the picks you do trade down from...use the draft value chart for reference on what you can get.

4. Try and keep in mind the ripple effect to some extent. For example, if we draft Alshon Jeffery...it's unlikely the Bears trade up for pick #45.

5. The guys you draft have to fit into Fisher's scheme because he is the coach here.

6. Have fun!

Trades(you can choose not to go through with any of these deals...if that's the move you would have made at the time)
1. Rams trade:
2012 1st(#2)

Redskins trade:
2012 1st(#6)
2013 1st(#22)
2014 1st
2012 2nd(#39)

2. Rams trade:
2012 1st(#6)

Cowboys trade:
2012 1st(#14)
2012 2nd(#45)

3. Rams trade:
2012 2nd(#45)

Bears trade:
2012 2nd(#50)
2012 5th(#150)

4. Rams trade:
2013 1st(#16)
2013 2nd(#46)
2013 3rd(#78 )
2013 7th(#222)

Bills trade:
2013 1st(#8 )
2013 3rd(#71)

5. Rams trade:
2013 1st(#22)

Falcons trade:
2013 1st(#30)
2013 3rd(#92)
2013 6th(#198 )

6. Rams trade:
2013 6th(#184)
2013 6th(#198 )

Texans trade:
2013 5th(#160)

Remember, you can choose not to go through with any of these trades. Keep in mind that if you don't go through with certain trades, you have to remove others using picks acquired in that trade.

Now that I've laid out the rules, here's my attempt at it using hindsight drafts(drafts done right after the NFL Draft that year on what I would have done):
http://tinyurl.com/n883qvy
Round 1 Pick #14 - Michael Brockers DT LSU - I stick with both trades
Round 2 Pick #33 - Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
Round 2 Pick #39 - Janoris Jenkins CB Florida
Round 2 Pick #45 - Lavonte David WLB Nebraska - Bears never trade up because Alshon is gone
Round 3 Pick #65 - Ronnie Hillman HB San Diego State
Round 4 Pick #96 - Chris Givens WR Wake Forest
Round 6 Pick #171 - Greg Zuerlein K Missouri Western - I didn't know about GZ before the draft but I really liked the pick after we made it and I'm assuming that John Fassel would have alerted me to him as the GM
Round 7 Pick #209 - Terrance Frederick CB TAMU - Kicking myself for choosing not to go with Dennard because of his character concerns
Round 7 Pick #252 - Chris Polk HB Washington

Now the 2013 Draft:
http://tinyurl.com/ka6krpo
Round 1 Pick #8 - Tavon Austin WR West Virginia - Yep, I'm sticking with the Austin trade-up
Round 1 Pick #30 - Jonathan Cyprien SS FIU - With Lavonte David at WLB, Ogletree isn't necessary anymore...as much as I like Alec
Round 3 Pick #71 - Trade - New Orleans trades: #106 and #109 to take John Jenkins(happened in real life) for Pick #71
Round 3 Pick #92 - Barrett Jones G/C Alabama - I would have taken him here not expecting him to be there for our next pick
Round 4 Pick #106 - Marcus Lattimore HB South Carolina - Same reasons as Barrett Jones
Round 4 Pick #109 - Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse - Not a hindsight move, had this in one of my mocks last year...value is too good here
Round 5 Pick #149 - Micah Hyde CB Iowa - Need a CB and him and Poyer were the only ones left that I liked
Round 6 Pick #184 - Bacarri Rambo FS Georgia - With me picking up Lattimore, I doubt I trade up for Stacy...my mistake
Round 6 Pick #198 - Dennis Johnson HB Arkansas

I didn't do too badly although HB would have been a problem area this year. I think I'm glad the Rams have Snead though. Very Happy

Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Ronnie Hillman
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Alshon Jeffery
ZWR: Chris Givens
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Chris Williams
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl
RT: Rodger Saffold

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Lavonte David
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LCB: Janoris Jenkins
RCB: Cortland Finnegan
SLCB: Micah Hyde
FS: Bacarri Rambo
SS: Jonathan Cyprien

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
BamaRam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simplicity's sake, I'll keep all trades. Using my old big boards, this is who I would have gone with at the time:

Round 1 Pick #14 - Michael Brockers; I was really high on him pre-draft.
Round 2 Pick #33 - Coby Fleener; Was one of my favorite players that year. He's working his way towards reaching his potential.
Round 2 Pick #39 - Janoris Jenkins; couldn't believe he was still here
Round 2 Pick #45 - Lavonte David; filled our hole at WOLB
Round 3 Pick #65 - Brandon Brooks; had a few players with similar grades, we really need a LG
Round 4 Pick #96 - Lamar Miller; injury concerns aside, I liked him coming out
Round 6 Pick #171 - Danny Trevathan; tackling machine, though maybe redundant with David
Round 7 Pick #209 - Kheeston Randall; I liked his upside
Round 7 Pick #252 -Mike Brewster; competition at Center

Round 1 Pick #8 - Tavon Austin; was my favorite player by far
Round 1 Pick #30 - Matt Elam; I felt like he could be a good fit
Round 3 Pick #71 - Terrance Williams; Had an early first round grade on him
Round 3 Pick #92 - Shamarko Thomas; may be redundant with Elam, but it was between him or keeping Stedman who I also loved
Round 4 Pick #113 -Barrett Jones; loved him at Bama, thought he was a steal
Round 5 pick #149 - Kenjon Barner; redundant with stacy, but could develop into a nice scat back
Round 5 Pick #160 - Zac Stacy; a lot of people liked him pre draft, by far the best RB available here.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I desperately wanted to find a way to keep Stacy in there because I really liked him before the draft but I couldn't honestly do it. If I took Lattimore in the 4th, I wouldn't have been able to find a way.

BamaRam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I desperately wanted to find a way to keep Stacy in there because I really liked him before the draft but I couldn't honestly do it. If I took Lattimore in the 4th, I wouldn't have been able to find a way.

I don't blame you for taking a shot with Lattimore's potential.

I just don't know if I would rely on Hillman, Polk, & Johnson while Lattimore had his redshirt season.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamaRam wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I don't blame you for taking a shot with Lattimore's potential.

I just don't know if I would rely on Hillman, Polk, & Johnson while Lattimore had his redshirt season.

It would be a risk but all three have shown flashes. Hopefully they'd be able to handle it.

holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Remember really wanting Kuechly in the 2012 draft and would of probably selected him at #6 and not traded down.

#6 - Luke Kuechly LB, Boston College
#33 - Ryan Broyles WR, Oklahoma
#39 - Janoris Jenkins CB, North Alabama
#65 - Brandon Thompson DT, Clemson
#96 - Alameda Ta'amu DT, Washington
# 171 - Greg Zuerlein K, Missouri Western
# 209 - Nate Potter OT, Boise State
#252 - Vontaze Burfict LB, Arizona State

#8 - Tavon Austin WR, West Virginia
#30 - John Cyprien S, Florida International - everyone on this forum talking about him skyrocketed my interest.
#71 - Hugh Thornton OG, Illinois - cwood's draft thread got me interested in this guy, really wanted him.
#92 - Shamarko Thomas S, Syracuse
#113 - Johnathan Franklin RB, UCLA
#149 - Micah Hyde CB, Iowa
#160 - Jordan Poyer CB, Oregon State

Would be rough, our receiving core would be terrible.
TDerick94

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#14-David DeCastro-G,Stanford
#33-Alshon Jeffery-WR,South Carolina
#39-Janoris Jenkins-CB,North Alabama
#50-Zach Brown-OLB,North Carolina
#65-Mike Martin-DT,Michigan
#96-Lamar Miller-RB,Miami
#150-Nate Potter-OT,Boise State
#171-Greg Zuerlein-K,Missouri Western
#209-David Molk-C,Michigan
#252-Vontaze Burfict-LB,Arizona State

#8-Sheldon Richardson-DT,Missouri
#30-Johnathan Cyprien-S,FIU
#71-Keenan Allen-WR,California
#92-Barrett Jones-C,Alabama
#149-Jordan Mills-OT,Louisiana Tech
#184-Bacarri Rambo-S,Georgia
#198-Tommy Bohanon-FB,Wake Forest

In 2012 I loved Claiborne but JJ wasn't that far behind and that 2nd Round Pick was huge for a rebuilding team
Ramsfan22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012-

Round 1/Pick 14 - Michael Brockers - DT - LSU
Round 2/Pick 33 - Mitchell Schwartz - OT - California
Round 2/Pick 39 - Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama
Round 2/Pick 50 - Lavonte David - LB - Nebraska
Round 3/Pick 65 - T.Y. Hilton - WR - FIU
Round 4/Pick 96 - Kirk Cousins - QB - Michigan State
Round 5/Pick 150 - Rokevious Watkins - OG - South Carolina
Round 6/Pick 171 - Greg Zurelein - K - Missouri Western
Round 7/Pick 209 - Bryce Brown - RB - Kansas State
Round 7/Pick 252 - Vontaze Burflict - LB - Arizona State

2013-

Round 1/ Pick 8 - Sheldon Richardon - DT - Missouri
Round 1/Pick 30 - Jonathan Cyprien - S - FIU
Round 3/Pick 71 - Keenan Allen - WR - California
Round 3/Pick 92 - Shamarko Thomas - S - Syracuse
Round 4/Pick 113 - Barrett Jones - C - Alabama
Round 5/Pick 160 - Zach Stacy - RB - Vanderbilt
RamsFlash16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012-

Round 1/Pick 14 - David Decastro - OG Stanford
Round 2/Pick 33 - Zach Brown- LB North Carolina
Round 2/Pick 39 - Alshon Jeffery- WR S. Carolina
Round 2/Pick 50 - Lavonte David- LB Nebraska
Round 3/Pick 65 - Josh Robinson- CB Central Florida
Round 4/Pick 96 - Jarius Wright- WR Arkansas
Round 5/Pick 150 - George lloka- S Boise St.
Round 6/Pick 171 - Blair Walsh - K - Georgia
Round 7/Pick 209 - David Molk- C Michigan
Round 7/Pick 252 - Chandler Harnish- QB Northern Illinois

2013-

Round 1/ Pick 8 - Tavon Austin- WR West Virginia
Round 1/Pick 30 - Matt Elam - S - Florida
Round 3/Pick 71 - Keenan Allen - WR California
Round 3/Pick 92 - Johnathan Franklin- RB UCLA
Round 4/Pick 113 - Barrett Jones - C - Alabama
Round 5/pick 149 - Jordan Mills- OT LA Tech
Round 5 Pick 160 - Zac Stacy- RB Vandy
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I play?
(I at least live in Springfield, MO)

If I were the Rams GM I would have traded Bradford to the Browns for the #4 pick plus++ some.(as I have seen sufficient reports & links claiming so) Drafted RG3 @#2 then traded down from #4 and so on...

But since the Rules above states I can only trade Bradford for the #22 pick from the Browns, I still would make this move.

QB RG3 @#2
RB Doug Martin @#22 (or David DeCastro)
CB Janoris Jenkins @#33 (instead of #39 with the Redskins pick( He's certainly worth 6 higher spots, imo)
#50 (from Bears) WR Rueben Randle,
#65 QB Russell Wilson
#96 WR Chris Givens (as rams taken)
#150 (from Bears) OT Rokevious Watkins (as rams taken)
#171 K Greg Zuerlein
#209 RB Bryce Brown
#252 (compensatory) RB Daryl Richardson (as rams picked)

This draft alone lands you not 1, but 2 franchise QB's
1 stud rb in martin, 1 very good rb in Richardson & 1 with high potential in Brown.
Either way...your set for the future at RB after losing S. Jackson.

You still keep your stud CB in Jenkins

You keep Chris Givens and add another with a very high ceiling in Randle
& you still take a flier on an O-lineman in Watkins.

Can't guarantee the Rams win the Division as the 49ers went 11-4-1
But I can guarantee Seattle doesn't go 11-5(as they end up rolling with Matt Flynn that season losing out to Wilson from you guys) & the Rams are way better than 7-8-1 i'm betting.

And that's not trading the Pick to the Redskins & going by a what I would imagine a worst case scenario in the value of trading Sam Bradford.

Cause I'm betting the rams get way more than just the #22 pick for Bradford.

Hypothetically of course...

Rams could have taken RG3 @#2
Used the #4 pick for MLBer Luke Kuechly or traded down much like the RG3 trade from #4.
We know for a fact there were teams going crazy to move up for RB Trent Richardson @ the 4 spot from the Browns. (which is why they traded from #4 to #3 on draft day (1 spot) to guarantee they got him for a couple of mid rd picks.

Imagine the haul the rams could have got for the #4 pick? (and still landed RG3)
By trading Bradford and getting that crazy contract off the books to boot. (to the Browns)

Either way...
there were many different courses of actions to take.
I think the Rams could have got both the #4 & #22 picks from the Browns for Bradford.
But I guess we'll never really know for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
Can I play?
(I at least live in Springfield, MO)

If I were the Rams GM I would have traded Bradford to the Browns for the #4 pick plus++ some.(as I have seen sufficient reports & links claiming so) Drafted RG3 @#2 then traded down from #4 and so on...

But since the Rules above states I can only trade Bradford for the #22 pick from the Browns, I still would make this move.

QB RG3 @#2
RB Doug Martin @#22 (or David DeCastro)
CB Janoris Jenkins @#33 (instead of #39 with the Redskins pick( He's certainly worth 6 higher spots, imo)
#50 (from Bears) WR Rueben Randle,
#65 QB Russell Wilson
#96 WR Chris Givens (as rams taken)
#150 (from Bears) OT Rokevious Watkins (as rams taken)
#171 K Greg Zuerlein
#209 RB Bryce Brown
#252 (compensatory) RB Daryl Richardson (as rams picked)

This draft alone lands you not 1, but 2 franchise QB's
1 stud rb in martin, 1 very good rb in Richardson & 1 with high potential in Brown.
Either way...your set for the future at RB after losing S. Jackson.

You still keep your stud CB in Jenkins

You keep Chris Givens and add another with a very high ceiling in Randle
& you still take a flier on an O-lineman in Watkins.

Can't guarantee the Rams win the Division as the 49ers went 11-4-1
But I can guarantee Seattle doesn't go 11-5(as they end up rolling with Matt Flynn that season losing out to Wilson from you guys) & the Rams are way better than 7-8-1 i'm betting.

And that's not trading the Pick to the Redskins & going by a what I would imagine a worst case scenario in the value of trading Sam Bradford.

Cause I'm betting the rams get way more than just the #22 pick for Bradford.

Hypothetically of course...

Rams could have taken RG3 @#2
Used the #4 pick for MLBer Luke Kuechly or traded down much like the RG3 trade from #4.
We know for a fact there were teams going crazy to move up for RB Trent Richardson @ the 4 spot from the Browns. (which is why they traded from #4 to #3 on draft day (1 spot) to guarantee they got him for a couple of mid rd picks.

Imagine the haul the rams could have got for the #4 pick? (and still landed RG3)
By trading Bradford and getting that crazy contract off the books to boot. (to the Browns)

Either way...
there were many different courses of actions to take.
I think the Rams could have got both the #4 & #22 picks from the Browns for Bradford.
But I guess we'll never really know for sure.

I like this a lot minus the Wilson pick I would have prefered a guard or d tackle
stl_rams_fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 NFL Draft
(keep the Redskins trade, no Cowboys trade, no Bears trade)
1. #6 - Luke Kuechly (LB) - great player, adding another tackling machine at linebacker to compliment JL55
2. #33 - Janoris Jenkins (CB) - although he is under-the-radar, me and Fisher decide we wont take a chance on letting him go
2. #39 - Alshon Jeffery (WR) - reminded me of Andre Johnson coming out, was really high on him at South Carolina
2. #45 - Reuben Randle (WR) - a former 5 star recruit, and projected 1st rounder, this is a steal. Maybe drafting 2 WRs in the same round will be controversial, but it is a huge need and we feel confident
3. #65 - Trumain Johnson (CB) - Good corner, makes quick cuts and cover well
4. #96 - Ben Jones (C) - as the 2nd ranked center in the draft, this is a steal, and a versatile guy we'll move around on the line
6. #171 - Greg Zuerlien (K) - Greg the Leg, nuff said
7. #209 - Keeston Randall (DT) - waiting so long to find a DT may not work so well, but you never know
7. #252 - Daryl Richardson (RB) - in-state kid, me and our scouts decide he's worthy of our last pick

2013 NFL Draft
(make a new Chargers trade, no Bills trade, keep the Falcons trade, keep the Texans trade)
TRADE - we give the Chargers our 1. #16 / 3. #78 / 6. #184 and they give us their 1. #11 / 5. #145
1. #11 - Sheldon Richardson (DT) - after missing out on a DT last year, we move up to get the beast from Missouri
1. #30 - Matt Elam (S) - the Rams are in need of a safety, and we take the best one available here
2. #46 - Eddie Lacy (RB) - after the departure of SJ, running back is a huge hole for the Rams in 2013, and I take a guy I love out of Bama
3. #92 - Stedman Bailey (WR) - guy who put up huge numbers at WVU, hopefully we can use him as a 3rd or 4th receiver
4. #113 - Barrett Jones (G) - another player that can play multiple OL positions
5. #145 - Brandon McGee (CB) - Fisher's guy, our original draft pick
5. #149 - Zac Stacy (RB) - another RB here, but we give them tons of reps early, and see which one pans out. Hopefully get good trade value for one of them down the road
6. #198 - Khalid Whooten (CB) - adding another young player to our talented defense
7. #222 - Tyler Bray (QB) - bringing in a backup to Sam, he has good size, a strong arm, and decent potential. Worth the shot at 222

Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Eddie Lacy / Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Alshon Jeffery
ZWR: Chris Givens
SLWR: Rueben Randle
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Ben Jones
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl
RT: Rodger Saffold

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Sheldon Richardson
RDT: Kendall Langford
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Luke Kuechly
MLB: James Laurinaitus
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LCB: Trumain Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: Cortland Finnegan
FS: Matt Elam
SS: Darian Stewart

K:Greg Zuerlien
P: Johnny Hekker
KR: Matt Elam
PR: Janoris Jenkins
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had time to do this. Jeffrey and David would absolutely be on my list, I remember being so high on both. Man, I'd really love if we had Jeffrey now.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
ramsfan12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Draft:
#6 Mark Barron, S
#22 (traded Bradford) : Doug Martin, RB
#33 Alshon Jefery, WR
#39 Bobby Wagner, LB
#50 Casey Heyward, CB
#65 Russell Wilson, QB
#96 Brandon Boykin, CB
#150 Alfred Morris, RB
#171 Greg Zurlein, K
#209 Kelvin Beachum, OL
#252 Vontaze Burfict, LB

Get Franchise QB, RBs, Bulsters secondary, adds very good receiver, etc.

2013:
#8 Tavon Austin, WR
**Trade Second First Round Pick for 2nd and 3rd Rounder(trade with Arizona)**
#45 Tyrann Matthieu, S
#69 Keenan Allen, WR
#71 Jordan Reed, TE
#92 Ryan Nassib, QB
#113 Barrett Jones, OL
#149 Josh Boyd, DT
#160 Jordan Mills, OL

2014 Mock:

1a) Louis Nix, DT
1b) Marqise Lee, WR
2) Will Sutton, DT
3) E.J. Gaines, CB
4-7) BPA

Roster:
QB: Wilson, Nassib
RB: Martin, Morris
FB: Kendricks
WR: Jefery, Austin, Allen, Pettis, Lee
TE: Cook, Reed
LT: Long
LG: Beachum
C: Wells, Jones
RG: Dahl, Saffold
RT: Barksdale/Mills
DE: Long
DT: Nix, Boyd
DT: Langford, Sutton
DE: Quinn
WLB: Burfict
MLB: JL
SLB: Wagner
CB:Heyward, Gaines
FS:Mathieu
SS: Barron
CB: Boykin
SCB: Finnegan
K: Zurlein
P: Hekker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: