Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

week 10 GDT Lions at Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

And the winner is?
Detroit Lions
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Chicagi Bears
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
thenoilif wrote:
Suhplex,

I get what you're saying but in the context of todays game the definition of a receiving TE has changed. To say Pettigrew is the same type of player as a Gates, Gronk, Gonzo, Graham, Witten, or even Shannon Sharpe is false and to me and i would wager to most football people is a fair assessment.
Pettigrew is more of a 80 and 90 era tight end like a Novacek or Bavarro, guys who were blockers but also could run short routes and catch balls in traffic.
Again, in my opinion a modern day receiving TE has to also be able to stretch the middle of the field and make some plays down field and is someone who gets a fair share of targets.

See above post

I agree completely with that post, and it supports my point. Pettigrew isn't a modern day "receiving TE", regardless if he gets frequent short-yardage targets. He's used as a blocker more than a receiver, therefore calling him a "receiving TE" is inaccurate.

You seem dead set on focusing on how we "classify" Grew rather then simply looking at his performance. Classifications don't matter, what matters is his productivity and impact based on how we use him.

Even if you want to call him a "security blanket" or a "short yardage option," that doesn't matter because no matter how you classify him, his mistakes in that area of his game hurts the team.

This brings me back to my point that his lack of athleticism is the reason he isn't that "receiving TE." You are essentially rationalizing one fault of his game with another.

I'm not the one that started classifying him... I disagreed with someone else's classification of him. Considering the way he's used (frequently as a blocker), I don't agree with calling him a "receiving TE". I think the label is misleading.

Rockcity wrote:
those can't be found after rd one? And so your saying they whiffed on the pick bc none of them are true beside big body.. soft hands? Really?

Sure they can, which is why the majority of Lions' fans hated the pick.

detfan782004 wrote:
And he can't block great and his hands are horrible

His hands are horrible?

You've been classifying him that way for months now... I've read a lot of these threads of you defending Pettigrew and this seems to be your go-to argument.

Also, way to not respond to any of my post! Just saying "I didn't start it," basically.

I think I offered a very objective view on Pettigrew- something you haven't been able to do, just like Cheerios

I was referring to this thread.

And I don't quite know what else you'd like me to say in response to your post: yes, Pettigrew both blocks and catches. I wouldn't classify him as a receiving TE despite how many short catches he brings in. I'd call him a blocking TE who is also short yardage option. Pettigrew's style of play isn't anywhere near the true receiving TEs in the NFL.

Thanks for bringing up Cherilus. If my stance towards Pettigrew is similar to my stance on him, I'm in good shape.

Team Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work untouchable!

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
detroitroar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Pettigrew has inconsistent hands.

I agree completely, and I've said it many times. They aren't horrible.

I actually think he has good hands.

I think his problem is 100% mental.

And what is with the argument about him being a blocking or receiving TE?

We surely didnt draft him to primarily be a blocker, but then again, his confidence has been completely shattered over the past year.

As of now, Pettigrew is a blocking TE to me, who occasionally gets looks in games.

How is top three twice in last three years occasional. That's like saying the Saints got an occasional first down last night

What does 2011 and 2012 have to do with 2013?

For whatever reason, Pettigrew has transformed into a blocking TE.

Come on buddy, you know I'm right. Just admit it. Smile

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
DTOW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/11/brandon_marshall_detroit_lions.html

Quote:
"That's exactly what it is," Marshall said during the show. "They're the little brother who grew a little bit, may be a little taller than the bigger brother. He's not stronger. He's not better than the big brother at anything. But it's just that one day, he says 'I'm fed up. I'm done. I'm going to punch my brother in the face.'

"It's the little brother (complex). The big brother wants to go out and play with his friends and the little brother is annoying. 'Hey, can I go?'

"No you can't go Detroit Lions," he continued. "Sit back. Sit in your little city. Know what I mean? Fix your financial problems and all of that. You can't come with us right now."

Wow.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony.

By the comment made I think it is clear who has the "little brother complex"

Laughing
Maverick12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTOW wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/11/brandon_marshall_detroit_lions.html

Quote:
"That's exactly what it is," Marshall said during the show. "They're the little brother who grew a little bit, may be a little taller than the bigger brother. He's not stronger. He's not better than the big brother at anything. But it's just that one day, he says 'I'm fed up. I'm done. I'm going to punch my brother in the face.'

"It's the little brother (complex). The big brother wants to go out and play with his friends and the little brother is annoying. 'Hey, can I go?'

"No you can't go Detroit Lions," he continued. "Sit back. Sit in your little city. Know what I mean? Fix your financial problems and all of that. You can't come with us right now."

Wow.

Honestly, the "little brother" comments don't bother me as much as the cheap shot he took at the city. Absolutley no excuse for that, and very unprofessional.

Sig credit: Smack

Team Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTOW wrote:

Quote:

Wow.

Team Stylish
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta make cheap shots like that when you are a sore loser. Unprofessional and disappointing. No respect there.
DTOW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honestly, the "little brother" comments don't bother me as much as the cheap shot he took at the city. Absolutley no excuse for that, and very unprofessional.
[/quote]

My feelings as well. Not to mention that Chicago isn't in the best financial shape itself.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTOW wrote:

Quote:

Wow.

Oh sweet. Just after hearing how much he had grown up and matured during a pre-game show weeks ago. Straight classy Marshall. He should ask Dez for a bite of his snickers

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Marshall wrote:
You can't come with us right now.

Who wants to go where they are going? Looks like they will probably miss the playoffs.

Team Stylish
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Brandon Marshall wrote:
You can't come with us right now.

Who wants to go where they are going? Looks like they will probably miss the playoffs.

I don't even understand that statement. Aging QB, poor defense, and a playoff missing season. They don't have a bright future.

If it weren't for Minnesota they would be at the bottom of the North. I'm glad we aren't joining them.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8AzmzAZypA

This lasted long? This interview just happened in Sept. Came off as being a changed man. Obviously it was all just a show.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Maverick12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glover Quin via Twitter:

Quote:
Did anyone else think Brandon Marshall's comments regarding the city of Detroit were totally uncalled for?

Quote:
The talk about the team is whatever!! Don't bring the city into it and people livelihoods!! C'mon man!!

Sig credit: Smack

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
Glover Quin via Twitter:

Quote:
Did anyone else think Brandon Marshall's comments regarding the city of Detroit were totally uncalled for?

Quote:
The talk about the team is whatever!! Don't bring the city into it and people livelihoods!! C'mon man!!

Exactly!

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 38 of 39

Jump to: