Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

week 10 GDT Lions at Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

And the winner is?
Detroit Lions
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Chicagi Bears
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

DTOW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think the biggest non drafted acquisition we have had in years is going to be Waddle. The past two games he has performed at an extremely high level. Why do I think he is so important? 1. Him matched with Warford has the potential to shore up our right side for the next decade. 2. It saves us from having to find another olineman which means we can allocate resources to our other needs. and 3. he is cheap which also leaves us with financial resources to allocate to different position.

I really think if he continues on his current trajectory we may have an invaluable resource coming from an UDFA. Stuff like that just hasn't happened for us for as long as I can remember.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTOW wrote:
I honestly think the biggest non drafted acquisition we have had in years is going to be Waddle. The past two games he has performed at an extremely high level. Why do I think he is so important? 1. Him matched with Warford has the potential to shore up our right side for the next decade. 2. It saves us from having to find another olineman which means we can allocate resources to our other needs. and 3. he is cheap which also leaves us with financial resources to allocate to different position.

I really think if he continues on his current trajectory we may have an invaluable resource coming from an UDFA. Stuff like that just hasn't happened for us for as long as I can remember.

While I agree for the most part, it's also important to remember that he hasn't really faced anyone to be scared of. Dallas and Chicago were both missing several of their best defensive lineman when he played them.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
detroitroar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Pettigrew has inconsistent hands.

I agree completely, and I've said it many times. They aren't horrible.

I actually think he has good hands.

I think his problem is 100% mental.

And what is with the argument about him being a blocking or receiving TE?

We surely didnt draft him to primarily be a blocker, but then again, his confidence has been completely shattered over the past year.

As of now, Pettigrew is a blocking TE to me, who occasionally gets looks in games.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
thenoilif wrote:
Suhplex,

I get what you're saying but in the context of todays game the definition of a receiving TE has changed. To say Pettigrew is the same type of player as a Gates, Gronk, Gonzo, Graham, Witten, or even Shannon Sharpe is false and to me and i would wager to most football people is a fair assessment.
Pettigrew is more of a 80 and 90 era tight end like a Novacek or Bavarro, guys who were blockers but also could run short routes and catch balls in traffic.
Again, in my opinion a modern day receiving TE has to also be able to stretch the middle of the field and make some plays down field and is someone who gets a fair share of targets.

See above post

I agree completely with that post, and it supports my point. Pettigrew isn't a modern day "receiving TE", regardless if he gets frequent short-yardage targets. He's used as a blocker more than a receiver, therefore calling him a "receiving TE" is inaccurate.

You seem dead set on focusing on how we "classify" Grew rather then simply looking at his performance. Classifications don't matter, what matters is his productivity and impact based on how we use him.

Even if you want to call him a "security blanket" or a "short yardage option," that doesn't matter because no matter how you classify him, his mistakes in that area of his game hurts the team.

This brings me back to my point that his lack of athleticism is the reason he isn't that "receiving TE." You are essentially rationalizing one fault of his game with another.

I'm not the one that started classifying him... I disagreed with someone else's classification of him. Considering the way he's used (frequently as a blocker), I don't agree with calling him a "receiving TE". I think the label is misleading.

Rockcity wrote:
those can't be found after rd one? And so your saying they whiffed on the pick bc none of them are true beside big body.. soft hands? Really?

Sure they can, which is why the majority of Lions' fans hated the pick.

detfan782004 wrote:
And he can't block great and his hands are horrible

His hands are horrible?

You've been classifying him that way for months now... I've read a lot of these threads of you defending Pettigrew and this seems to be your go-to argument.

Also, way to not respond to any of my post! Just saying "I didn't start it," basically.

I think I offered a very objective view on Pettigrew- something you haven't been able to do, just like Cheerios

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Quote:
Schwartz said tight end Brandon Pettigrew has helped out a ton with the run blocking, especially with two rookies on the right side. The coach praises the veteran tight end's consistency.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/11/live_updates_coach_jim_schwart_8.html

Looks like Pettigrew didn't disappear in the second half to some who paid attention and knows what he is looking for.

Yea because coaches are always truthful about players and statuses. Ok funny

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
Pettigrew has inconsistent hands.

I agree completely, and I've said it many times. They aren't horrible.

I actually think he has good hands.

I think his problem is 100% mental.

And what is with the argument about him being a blocking or receiving TE?

We surely didnt draft him to primarily be a blocker, but then again, his confidence has been completely shattered over the past year.

As of now, Pettigrew is a blocking TE to me, who occasionally gets looks in games.

How is top three twice in last three years occasional. That's like saying the Saints got an occasional first down last night

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Quote:
Schwartz said tight end Brandon Pettigrew has helped out a ton with the run blocking, especially with two rookies on the right side. The coach praises the veteran tight end's consistency.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/11/live_updates_coach_jim_schwart_8.html

Looks like Pettigrew didn't disappear in the second half to some who paid attention and knows what he is looking for.

Usually, I'd agree. But when the only one who disagrees with them is you, I'll take them as the most honest side.

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan, do you think you're smarter than us?
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

Why would you ask that?

I hold you directly responsible for the next 2 pages of meaningless banter.

You are grounded. Back to work.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

I remember a couple years ago when he said something along the lines of he knew he was a better person than all of us.

Team Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

I remember a couple years ago when he said something along the lines of he knew he was a better person than all of us.

Yes, something that because of his line of work, he was way sweet and super-coo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Quote:

Usually, I'd agree. But when the only one who disagrees with them is you, I'll take them as the most honest side.

You normally would but since it goes against your stance u won't. Got it. Way to really hold to your stances

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are taking football not about posters

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, talk about the Lions and not about each other or we'll have to go ahead and lock this up.

Just drop the issue, please. The next time people make it personal this thread will be locked.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Quote:

You normally would but since it goes against your stance u won't. Got it. Way to really hold to your stances

That's not what I said at all. I said it's your word vs the coaches (and everyone else, but I'll leave them out of the equation for now) and sadly, the coaches spew less BS than you, even though it's part of their job to spew BS.

Way to try to twist my words though. My stance on this topic has always been that I didn't see any blown blocks by Pettigrew and you said there were 4-5. Still waiting to see any evidence of it.

Also, it's a funny side note that the last time I added to this topic discussion you accused me of dragging the discussion on needlessly, and after I stopped you kept the discussion going for another 2 pages pretty much by yourself. Well done.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 37 of 39

Jump to: