Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 recent mistakes that are haunting the New Orleans Saints:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: 5 recent mistakes that are haunting the New Orleans Saints: Reply with quote

1. Undervaluing Jermon Bushrod:

I think to a point many of us were guilty of this. I remember lots of people clamoring that Bushrod wasn’t worth the money and that the Saints would be better suited to invest it elsewhere. The truth of the matter is though that while Bushrod isn’t one of the top tackles in football… he’s still a pretty darn good one and he proved it again Monday night against the Packers. So, while Bushrod is exceeding expectations in Chicago, Drew Brees is running for his life back in New Orleans. I think this falls into the “not knowing what you have until it’s gone” category for me and while the Saints choose to invest their money into an aging procession receiver with no knees or someone else’s offensive guard who’s been nothing short of a disappointment. One of their own home grown prospects that they spent time and energy to develop is now a cornerstone of some other franchise’s line while ours has been left in shambles.

2. Trading Chris Ivory:

I know most will automatically say, “But Worm… that trade brought us Jon Jenkins”. My response… I’m quite sure the Jets (at the time) would have taken either Ingram or Ivory. Simply put, the Saints traded the wrong running back and no one will ever be able to convince me that the reason for it wasn’t that this organization feared the public outcry from their fan base as to why we even drafted Ingram in the first place if we were to trade him two years later for a 4th round pick. Ego has played a major role into why not only is Ingram still on this roster but as to why he’s still seeing the field (when healthy of course). The powers that be in this organization are and will continue to be hell bent on proving themselves right with the Ingram selection, so much so that they would be willing to trade a known better player at the position in order to cover up their misfire. Well recently that scapegoat fired back. Chris Ivory did more than lead his Jets to victory against the Saints, to me he proved what most Saints fans already knew and at the same time sealed the faith of Mark Ingram in New Orleans. Ingram will always be looked at by most Saints fans as the back that should have been traded or Mickey Loomis’s worst draft blunder of his tenure. He will always be compared to Chris Ivory (by this fan base) for the rest of his career in New Orleans and this game by Ivory will be seared into the minds of Saints fans across the Who Dat Nation for a long time.

3. Being to loyal:

I a way… I respect the loyalty of this franchise to certain players but at the same time I admit that it is also one of their biggest flaws. I say this respectfully… Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith and Roman Harper have no business still being on this roster and making the money that they are currently making. Marcus Colston’s recent contract was an absurd extension giving the fact of his age and health. Yes I understand the sentimental aspect of these players but good teams don’t stay good by overpaying high priced veterans. The Saints openly state that they model themselves after the New England Patriots but the funny thing is that NO team in the NFL knows the value of parting with veteran players like the Patriots do. From Layer Malloy to Richard Seymour the list goes on with players who were considered cornerstones of the Pats championship teams that New England considered expendable once their production didn’t match their pay. This is a performance now league and no team gets it better than the Pats. Bill Belicheck is the master of this and while some consider him heartless and cut throat he simply does what is in the best interest of his team moving forward unlike Sean Payton who grows attached to players and is sentimental in this regard to a fault and that fault has burnt the Saints numerous times and continues to be a problem in the Big Easy.

4. Drafting Mark Ingram:

We can debate all day about whether the price paid to get into the 28th slot of the 2010 NFL draft was reasonably or not but to me, trading up wasn’t the problem because the aggressive approach isn’t always a bad one. The problem I had with the move was the selection of Mark Ingram and here’s why…

1. Ingram was coming off a down season at Alabama due to battling a knee injury from the year prior.
2. The Saints already had a similar back in Chris Ivory on the roster.
3. The running back position has been devalued in the NFL and the Saints had more pressing needs elsewhere.

To think that when Ingram was selected by the Saints, players such as Muhammad Wilkerson, Akeem Ayers & Justin Houston were still available makes one wonder what could have been. However the Saints likely would have been much better of simply standing pat and keeping their picks but hindsight is always 20/20. Regardless, Mark Ingram was doomed from the start in New Orleans… from the unwarranted high expectations that come with a team giving up so much to get you, to the fact that from the get go his opportunities in New Orleans would be limited at best. The trade for Mark Ingram was just simply a puzzling move from the start and nothing has happened since to make one think otherwise.

5. Implementing the zone blocking scheme:

Remember last season as we watched our defense get schooled up and down the field leaving all Saints fans to wonder how a team with such good personnel could look so bad? While many of us knew what the problem was, Sean Payton was the one who acted on it. Realizing his defensive group wasn’t the problem but the scheme in which they were being asked to run was, Steve Spagnuolo was abruptly fired and Rob Ryan hired and the rest is history.

Well… Our offensive line is going through what our defense did last season. Sean Payton once again as he did in the Spagnuolo hiring, made a damaging mistake thinking that he could make his personnel into something they are not. To say that our line has struggled in the running game would be a bit of an understatement but what wouldn’t be would be to say that it’s not entirely there fault either. Opposing defensive lineman are beating this unit off the snap with quickness and are penetrating the scheme almost untouched at times. This is cause from miscommunication and uncertainty within the scheme. Also the skill set of our lineman really does not match what is asked of the lineman from this scheme either. Any way you look at it, this move was a dreadful call by Payton and one that I have little doubt that he will promptly address this coming offseason in the same manner he did when he fired Spags.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with 3-5. Bushrod is a pretty good tackle, but with Jimmy's payday coming up we had to make a decision. So, I don't regret it as much as I regret some of our other mistakes. I loved Ivory, and I hated that he had to be the back that we traded away, but let's not forget that we may have gotten our future NT with the pick. If John Jenkins can reach even 50% of his potential then this trade will be a win for the Saints. Not to mention, Khiry Robinson looks like Ivory did his rookie year out of Tiffin. Let's see if we can avoid another mistake by getting Robinson more playing time than Ingram..

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hated that he had to be the back that we traded away, but let's not forget that we may have gotten our future NT with the pick.

I agree but like I said in the post, I'm sure that if at the time the Saints had offered Ingram up on the block for a 4th rounder they would have gotten a bite from someone and we still would have landed Jenkins along with keeping Ivory.

Quote:
but with Jimmy's payday coming up we had to make a decision. So, I don't regret it as much as I regret some of our other mistakes.

My thinking is... if the Saints truly are a forward thinking group to say that letting Bushrod leave was all part of the looming Graham contract then where was that thinking the year before when we paid out stupid money for Ben Grubbs and Marcus Colston.

1st: I would have much preferred to keep Bushrod over landing Grubbs in free agency and that's before he ever played a down for the Saints. The fact that Bushrod is now a success in Chicago and Grubbs is struggling is salt in the wound.

2nd: Marcus Colston will go down as one of my all time fav Saints, one of the few players I ever bought a jersey off but his body has slowly been failing him, his knees are shot and he was paid for what he had done and not for what he was going to do and that in the NFL is a cardinal sin for a GM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with you there.. Loomis has another tough offseason ahead of him. Hopefully Greer and Bunkley restructure

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
krewebrees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% on 1,2,5. I only half way agree with you on the others.

3. Where Will Smith isn't even half the player he once was and with Galette being the beast he is, I saw and still see zero value in keeping Smith. With Hawthorne finally stepping up and Vilma being hurt for half the season, looking back it seems obvious to cut him. However at the time not so much. He restructured to a very reasonable deal 1 million and I wasn't sold on Hawthorne until after the season had started. I'm just saying Vilma wasn't a sure bet either way. Now he is. Harper has a base salary this year under 1 million this year. With the emergence of Vaccaro and Bush, he has now become expendable, but has been playing, before he was hurt, pretty good for someone under 1 mil.

5. Agreed the zone blocking scheme isn't for our O-line, but we have to admit we aren't doing a good job at pass blocking either. I don't think it's as simple as switching back to man, but it will help.
Fray32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminally overvaluing bushrod here. not giving him the money he wanted was a good decision and I stand by that.
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't losing Aaron kromer effect the Oline? And having him bring Bushrod over to Chicago would leave the line in shambles a bit. Another thing that has haunted the saints is allowing the WR corps to be slowly depleted, and not replacing those lost with reliable receivers. I mean look at the decline of Colston, any the return of meachem isn't helping. Sproles isn't getting younger and everyone knows the offense relies heavily on Graham.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: