Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do at Safety
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: What to do at Safety Reply with quote

As much as the DL has been bad, and they have been pretty bad, the safety play has been atrocious.

Coming off of a TERRIBLE game against the Redskins and with 2 weeks to prepare the safeties came out and had another poor game against the Packers.

I know the pass rush has been bad and that has exposed the average safeties, but they have been beaten clean in coverage early in plays and neither of them can tackle.

If I am going into next season I am looking to replace both safeties with free agents or draft picks.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do at Safety Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
As much as the DL has been bad, and they have been pretty bad, the safety play has been atrocious.

Coming off of a TERRIBLE game against the Redskins and with 2 weeks to prepare the safeties came out and had another poor game against the Packers.

I know the pass rush has been bad and that has exposed the average safeties, but they have been beaten clean in coverage early in plays and neither of them can tackle.

If I am going into next season I am looking to replace both safeties with free agents or draft picks.

I think this is a given, I would even think about replacing all the Safety's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do at Safety Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Conte is still under a rookie contract, so he can be a cheap back up. But I doubt Wright is willing to just be a back up, so he can be let go. I would love to move Tillman to FS, but that just means we are in need of another starting CB instead. Either way we need new starting safeties next year.

Hopefully a healthy Melton and Ratliff on the DL could make the DBs job MUCH easier.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ambition would be to go into the offseason looking to replace both safeties…but that will be more difficult that we think considering the rest of the wholes we have…as much as safety is a big need it can’t be put before finding some more pass rush…that has to be the #1 concern this offseason…if we can get that sorted out then we should certainly looking to replace Wright who I don’t think is getting resigned this offseason…then we look at finding someone else at FS to at least compete with Conte and see who wins out with an improved pass rush.
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Wright is at least worth keeping for depth and familiarity purposes, but yes I agree something needs to be done at safety.

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
I would say Wright is at least worth keeping for depth and familiarity purposes, but yes I agree something needs to be done at safety.

The problem with that is your back up safeties are more than making vet min...Wright at 25 years old with 35 (possibly 42+ by the end of the season) is going to get more than that on the open market.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im prove the DL and pray.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact of the matter is S is the 2nd biggest weakness on this team, I could argue it is THE biggest weakness on this team if everyone was healthy. Both Major Wright and Chris Conte need to be replaced, neither will be resigned I'm pretty confident about that which gives Emery 1-2 years to do it...

My guess is he signs Mike Mitchell/TJ Ward/Jairus Byrd in Free Agency and than drafts someone like Deone Bucannon or Dion Bailey in the 2nd-3rd round... Any combination of those would be a very solid young group to build around.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: What to do at Safety Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

We will do nothing during the season. Off season we will try and upgrade the DL FIRST. I doubt that there is any panic in the front office or coaching staff about our safeties and almost no way we will draft any before the third round or pay big money for a FA. Once we have a good DL safety play can be properly evaluated, until then nothing is clear. I know several of you absolutely hate our safeties but that is not a good attitude when evaluating anyone.
We need to add/draft two DTs, another qb, perhaps a TE and a CB then we can think about safety.
Epyon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another forum I visit, there was some talk/an idea that some other teams have had success moving a aging corner back to safety... in this case, being Tillman. I'm curious to hear other opinions on how people would think this could potentially work.

Regardless, my ideal draft needs list is looking something like this (currently), with people being roughly placed in order of need and where those positions are typically drafted at:

Mariota-QB (if by some miracle he's still there) >
Beast D-Line (or two) >
Best Safety (or two) >
Center >
Pass catching Tight end behind Bennett>
Late round speed demon receiver

The only positions I can potentially see them really targeting would be Right Tackle, if they don't feel Mills is coming along well enough, or Corner, if we don't keep both Tillman and Jennings.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's the thing how bad has the safety play really been, truthfully none of us really know at all. We do know that Mel Tucker has come out and said that a lot of the blame they have been taking are for things that aren't even their fault. I also refuse to believe that the safeties have regressed to this point, especially when you look at the way the entire defense seems to have regressed. Its pretty obvious the coaching on defense is the primary concern. They are not being put in a position to succeed whatsoever. That's a problem, and unless something changes drastically real soon, I don't see any of the defensive coaches surviving the offseason, starting with Tucker.

If we are being honest we have to put the blame for what looks like poor safety play 50% at least on coaching, 25% on lack of pass rush, and 25% on regression.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
ak06max

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB Nnamdi Asomugha was cut by the 9ers. He probably wants too much for what hes worth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
So, here's the thing how bad has the safety play really been, truthfully none of us really know at all. We do know that Mel Tucker has come out and said that a lot of the blame they have been taking are for things that aren't even their fault. I also refuse to believe that the safeties have regressed to this point, especially when you look at the way the entire defense seems to have regressed. Its pretty obvious the coaching on defense is the primary concern. They are not being put in a position to succeed whatsoever.

If we are being honest we have to put the blame for what looks like poor safety play 50% at least on coaching, 25% on lack of pass rush, and 25% on regression.

I can't agree completely, but I do acknowledge that Tucker isn't in the same league as Marinelli or Smith. But players getting blown off the line, Conte and Wright letting WRs get behind them (the biggest single sin for a Cover/Tampa 2 safety), and tackling being horrendous can't even be evenly split on the coach. These guys are professionals with years under Marinelli and Lovie's tutelage, and they have vets like Briggs and Tillman there that have been in the system for 6+ years, so they know what their responsibilities are. They aren't making mistakes on assignments much, they often just aren't executing. DL does nothing but rush the passer, but we are around the bottom 5 for sacks I bet, that is not due to a coach putting them in a bad position, it is due to players not winning their match ups. When QBs get time, they can pick apart a defense, and our safeties are often the ones who the WRs are making plays on. With Smith or Mainelli this defense would still be porous.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
So, here's the thing how bad has the safety play really been, truthfully none of us really know at all. We do know that Mel Tucker has come out and said that a lot of the blame they have been taking are for things that aren't even their fault. I also refuse to believe that the safeties have regressed to this point, especially when you look at the way the entire defense seems to have regressed. Its pretty obvious the coaching on defense is the primary concern. They are not being put in a position to succeed whatsoever. That's a problem, and unless something changes drastically real soon, I don't see any of the defensive coaches surviving the offseason, starting with Tucker.

While I do not totally agree with coaching being that big a factor. Mel Tucker is not telling them not to tackle and to look foolish when the ball is in the air. Even a 25% regression is too much for guys who were average/competent to start.

I would shoot to totally replace 1 and bring I some high round or veteran competition for the other.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd let Major walk this offseason, and I'd seriously consider drafting a safety high if they can address the d-line issues through free agency.

If they were able to sign an impact DE like Michael Bennett and re-sign Melton while also adding some quality depth to the interior then realistically the Bears could go with DB's back to back in the first couple rounds of this draft.

I wouldn't mind a combo of Clinton-Dix/Kyle Fuller with the first two picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: