Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns should be contenders next year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Browns should be contenders next year Reply with quote

I've thought about this and, for all intents and purposes, the Browns should be able to win the AFC North next year and contend in the playoffs. I really think if they had not started Brandon [inappropriate/removed] Weeden 4 games that this team would be at least 5-3 if not 6-2. Andy Dalton is trash I don't care what anyway says and the Bengle's defense isn't as good as people make it out to be and I don't see that changing next year. The Steelers are 4-6 years away from being relevant again and the Ravens jettisoned their offense so bad it's going to take them another two years to reload on that.

With Zach Mettenberger, who I'm pretty sure is the QB the Browns will select with their late first round pick from the Colts or second round pick, and probably Mike Evans, who is the receiver I believe they'll take since Sammy Watkins will be gone by the time the Browns pick, I see no reason why this team couldn't contend with anyone in the league. With those two added, if the Browns were able to hit on RB who can catch in the second or third round they'd basically be a younger version of the championship Ravens. Air Coryell QB and system (Mettenber in place of Flacco), with a good tight end (Campbell in place of Pitta), a big blanket receiver (Evans in place of Boldin), and high skilled first option (Gordon in place of Jones) with a beast front 7. This new regime could pit the Browns in position to contend for years to come with this upcoming draft with the right picks.

For the record, even though I rep the Jags primarily, I'm also a Browns fan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Browns should be contenders next year Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
I've thought about this and, for all intents and purposes, the Browns should be able to win the AFC North next year and contend in the playoffs. I really think if they had not started Brandon [inappropriate/removed] Weeden 4 games that this team would be at least 5-3 if not 6-2. Andy Dalton is trash I don't care what anyway says and the Bengle's defense isn't as good as people make it out to be and I don't see that changing next year. The Steelers are 4-6 years away from being relevant again and the Ravens jettisoned their offense so bad it's going to take them another two years to reload on that.

With Zach Mettenberger, who I'm pretty sure is the QB the Browns will select with their late first round pick from the Colts or second round pick, and probably Mike Evans, who is the receiver I believe they'll take since Sammy Watkins will be gone by the time the Browns pick, I see no reason why this team couldn't contend with anyone in the league. With those two added, if the Browns were able to hit on RB who can catch in the second or third round they'd basically be a younger version of the championship Ravens. Air Coryell QB and system (Mettenber in place of Flacco), with a good tight end (Campbell in place of Pitta), a big blanket receiver (Evans in place of Boldin), and high skilled first option (Gordon in place of Jones) with a beast front 7. This new regime could pit the Browns in position to contend for years to come with this upcoming draft with the right picks.

For the record, even though I rep the Jags primarily, I'm also a Browns fan.

Good comments. The only disagreement I have is about Mettenberger. I'm not a fan of his.

And for the record, even though I rep Ohio, I'm really a Florida fan. (Dang wife won't move)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

We've got our better versions of Dennis Pitta and Torrey Smith IMO. We still need our Boldin and Rice, which shouldn't be too incredibly difficult. However the most important piece is franchise QB.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your ideas on our draft. Mettenberger would be a nice selection who we could even let cool for a year while Hoyer and Campbell battle over who takes us to the promised land.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

browns are contenders this year...
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:

After the last 3 years, anybody that gets in the playoffs is a contender. We've got the recipie on defense with elite pass rushing and good run stopping. Also a pass defense that can play at a high level.
Vino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Browns should be contenders next year Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:

Good comments. The only disagreement I have is about Mettenberger. I'm not a fan of his.

And for the record, even though I rep Ohio, I'm really a Florida fan. (Dang wife won't move)

I didn't either but under Cam Cameron and the Air Coryell system he's improved a lot and that would just continue under Norv Turner and Rob Chudzinski. And considering how most Florida teams are playing now I don't blame her lol.

candyman93 wrote:
I agree.

We've got our better versions of Dennis Pitta and Torrey Smith IMO. We still need our Boldin and Rice, which shouldn't be too incredibly difficult. However the most important piece is franchise QB.

I see Mike Evans as being that Bolden type guy.

Reginaldm9 wrote:
I like your ideas on our draft. Mettenberger would be a nice selection who we could even let cool for a year while Hoyer and Campbell battle over who takes us to the promised land.

Yeah. The Browns would have one of the best back up QB situations in the league. They're interchangeable with each other and can all run the offense well and win games in it.

Location: 2014 Adopt a Brownie: Jim Dray: 10 Receptions, 144 Yards (14.4 ypc), 1 TD, 8 FD
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:

I can't disagree with this. I'm hoping Jason Campbell has found a home, not saying that he will be the QB of the future, but at least a place where he can feel like Alex Smith (who he is better than, if you look at the numbers, even overall) or at least a place where he can compete for a starting job. And I think that he sees a ripe opportunity here in Cle. He has seen everything of what bad decisions can do for a team, just in this year alone (he played for the late Al Davis, I remind you).

He played with urgency from the moment he was able to see what a guy like Weeden can do for a young team, and he showed the young guys what toughness and determination can get you. I know he still wants to be a winner. I do I see why they brought him in, regardless of whether or not we'd be in this situation if he'd started after Weeden was injured.

He has natural leadership, if not the fire and attitude we might want, and a workable skill set. Probably knows the playbook better than anybody at this point. His defensive reads are at least the best I've seen him do, and he was someone I always hoped the best for coming out of college.

I watched him in Washington (he wasn't used properly ala Shanahan) Oakland (sink hole for talent, so glad we snagged Des Bryant from them) and Chicago, where it's been hard for anyone to stay healthy.

I'm not super excited or anything, but I know a lot of us have been watching the NFL for a long time. None of these other teams are THAT awesome. We are rarely blown out but by DIVISIONAL opponents. I think we have a shot, but we need a few good bounces too, and maybe a miscue or two. Number's don't lie, but numbers aren't predictable (as many of us fantasy owners are finding out).

I still won't believe it til i see it, but I know I'm seeing us play harder than ever, faster than ever, and that's just fine with me. Let's work with what we got, and see where it gets us.

Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
zelbell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing i really disagree with is comparing Josh to Torrey Smith

i think Josh is on a different level than Smith but thats all i disagree with

i am extremely curious with how Mettenberger is gonna play against Bama this weekend, we're gonna learn a lot about him Saturday

Adopt a Brown: Josh Gordon
2014 Stats: 8 catches, 120 yards
Sig by Smack
Braylon4MVP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise a lot of great points. Some of the comparisons are a little off, but the main point still remains. My only thing is you're dismissing the Browns this year. The Browns ARE contenders this year.

John Frusciante FTW
Red Hot Chili Peppers FTW
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelbell wrote:

i am extremely curious with how Mettenberger is gonna play against Bama this weekend, we're gonna learn a lot about him Saturday

My only thing with using the bama game is I don't think their secondary is as good as years past
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why we shouldn't be contenders this year. If Baltimore beats Cincinnati then we have a chance to win ONE game and be in sole possession of first place. It is not like we got lucky and beat them in the first game either. We thoroughly out played them. They have been the most overrated team in the NFL for 3 years now. They are more than beatable and if we want to prove ourselves then we will out prepare and out work them all week long.

Jamison on the sig
zelbell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
zelbell wrote:

My only thing with using the bama game is I don't think their secondary is as good as years past
they still have two good safeties in Haha and Landon Collins, but i'll agree that their corners aren't as good as previous years, but still a good test nonetheless

Adopt a Brown: Josh Gordon
2014 Stats: 8 catches, 120 yards
Sig by Smack
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just annoyed we basically threw away at least a couple more wins just by starting Weeden.

Hoyer and Campbell are middling QBs and we are winning with them, man I can't wait until we have a truly legit guy. We could honestly be one of the best teams in the entire league.

QB
RB
WR

What's to stop us from getting all of that fixed this offseason? Cool
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelbell wrote:

My worry with Mettenberger is that he looks a lot like Tyler Wilson did on the field (or DA, or any other strong armed statue with questionable decision making) and like Ben Roethlisberger off of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: