Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our running back situation...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's our best running back?
Stevan Ridley
83%
 83%  [ 26 ]
Shane Vereen
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
LaGarrette Blount
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Brandon Bolden
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

RMolloy24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Our running back situation... Reply with quote

Who's our best running back when they're all healthy?
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Shane Vereen to me. He's perfect for what Brady and this offense wants. Ridley struggles with consistency and reliability issues. He's a good tone setter and goal line back and should be the early down ball carrier. Bolden and Blount arent even worth mentioning to me.
Touchdowns:6
Launches:6

OFFENSIVE MVP

Last edited by patsfan25 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley and Vereen are 1a and 1b. They have complementary skill sets. I'd personally prefer to see more of Vereen than Ridley when he's healthy, but Ridley should definitely be the 'closer' late in games. The less we see of Blount, the better.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Ridley and Vereen are 1a and 1b. They have complementary skill sets. I'd personally prefer to see more of Vereen than Ridley when he's healthy, but Ridley should definitely be the 'closer' late in games. The less we see of Blount, the better.

I'd agree w/ this.

A big thing of we're missing is that receiver from the backfield, especially on 3rd downs.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I'd agree w/ this.

A big thing of we're missing is that receiver from the backfield, especially on 3rd downs.

Yep. Ridley is probably the better standard runner in heavy sets, but Vereen is perfect for draws, screens, and catching out of the backfield. Perfect compliments
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

I would tend to disagree. I think Blount should be the "closer" at the end of the game to run out the clock. By that time opposing defenses are worn down and will have a harder time with a big strong back like Blount who can come in with fresh legs.

I think Ridley is our best back, Vereen is #2, but only because Vereen has such a small sample size. Ridley has great vision, patience, and the speed & power combination. Vereen may become better, but I'd want to keep him as a 3rd down back to stay fresh on those critical downs.

I also think his fumbling issues are slightly overblown. For example, Ridley in his first 2 1/2 seasons has 1, 4, 3 fumbles. AP had 4, 9, 7. Not that I should be comparing the two, but I think it's something to note. Also, I don't know the numbers, but the eye test says Brady's PA passes are much more effective with Ridley in the game.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

I'd agree w/ this.

Yeah, even on first and second down Vereen is a threat to motion out of the backfield as well as to bust the straight draw play for 10 yards.

I love Ridley, don't get me wrong. He's the best pure runner this team has had since Corey Dillon, but his skills as a receiver are pretty minimal. He's best served as a grind-it-out back and in goal-to-go situations. His fumbling problems are pretty exaggerated tbh.

BlaqOptic wrote:
jofos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

This pretty spot on. While Ridley and Vereen are not apples and oranges they are maybe apples and apples but granny smith and red delicious. Both are good in the Patriot offense but they are good at different things. Blount isn't as bad as he is made out to be but he is also my fourth choice. Bolden is a few notches behind Ridley and Vereen but has more to offer than Blount.
I personally would like to see all 4 healthy.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:

I would tend to disagree. I think Blount should be the "closer" at the end of the game to run out the clock. By that time opposing defenses are worn down and will have a harder time with a big strong back like Blount who can come in with fresh legs.
Blount, despite his size, is not really a particularly good grinder. He rarely gets more than 3 yards when there isn't a massive hole opened for him. And he gets dropped for no gain or negative yardage far too often in obvious running situations. Ridley has far better burst and can actually get those 4-5-6 yard gains out of small holes.

BlaqOptic wrote:
TomRalph

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Vereen can help our RZ running problems. Vereen is money when it comes to 1 yard TD runs. Much better than anyone else on the roster.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:

Blount is a bad closer. He has the worst career fumble rate on the team and sucks at picking up short yardage.

He's big, and he has some nice highlight runs, but he's a bad short yardage guy and not a guy I'd want to pick up a few meaningful clock-killing first downs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Hopefully Vereen can help our RZ running problems. Vereen is money when it comes to 1 yard TD runs. Much better than anyone else on the roster.

I'd take Ridley 1st. Ridley has great vision and patience... if there's a hole he usually hits it. His best trait is his ability to use blocking well, which to me is reliability.

Vereen may be too, and in general I'd rather have Vereen out due to all the other stuff he can do, but the sample size we have of Ridley getting tough yards makes him the choice for me for RZ carries.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley's career fumble rate is 1 every 73.3 touches

Just for comparison's sake, Adrian Peterson's is 1 every 72.6

BlaqOptic wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Ridley's career fumble rate is 1 every 73.3 touches

Just for comparison's sake, Adrian Peterson's is 1 every 72.6

Peterson's been much better in the last 4 years (1 every 123 touches). It seems that his problems in 2008 and 2009 were either flukes or he has made an adjustment.

But your point remains the same. 1/73.3 is solid enough for a starting running back to consider him fairly trustworthy.

I'd also say that Ridley hasn't had too many "cheap" fumbles (his one earlier this year was though). Sometimes defenders just make big hits or nice plays and there's not much you can do.

Corey Dillon fumbled 5 times in 2004 in 360 touches (1/72 touches). I don't think people were screaming for him to be benched or that he had a fumble problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Vereen was poised for a mega season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: