Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mularkey/VanGorder or Koetter/Nolan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Coordinator duo is better?
Mike Mularkey and Brian VanGorder
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Dirk Koetter and Mike Nolan
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

falcons145

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Mularkey/VanGorder or Koetter/Nolan? Reply with quote

Which one would you rather have? The way this season is going it seems like a no brainer to go with Mularkey/VanGorder, but I want insight from people
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Seriously? Seriously? Did everything that happen last season just escape from your collective minds. We've reached a new low here, tonight. I can get everything else. I can get the TD and Smith complaints. I can get the Ryan complaints. BUT YOU PEOPLE WANT MURLARKEY BACK? IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS MURLARKEY ANY SORT OF UPGRADE FOR US, OR REALLY ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL.

Rolling Eyes

Daboyle250 on the sig

Foster a Falcon: Thomas DeCoud

FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first person who I've seen say they want Mularkey back. But that's his opinion. I didn't know a lot about Dirk when he first came here but it's clear he isn't the most creative, Both he and Mularkey are conservative on 1st and 2nd down.

If anyone had to be fired it would be Dirk IMO. Nolan doesn't have a lot to work with but I do see improvement with the Defense. The Offense has regressed and play-calling is part of the reason. Especially in the redzone.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
swoosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case this is a serious question, Koetter/Nolan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeperKing wrote:
Seriously? Seriously? Seriously? Did everything that happen last season just escape from your collective minds. We've reached a new low here, tonight. I can get everything else. I can get the TD and Smith complaints. I can get the Ryan complaints. BUT YOU PEOPLE WANT MURLARKEY BACK? IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS MURLARKEY ANY SORT OF UPGRADE FOR US, OR REALLY ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL.

Rolling Eyes

Good coordinators get new ideas when everyone has figured out your stuff, which our coordinators have failed to do

Last edited by falcons145 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we're all forgetting what Dirk accomplished last year. His installation of the no-huddle offense took the team from very good to elite. Matt Ryan had an MVP-caliber season in his offense and Jones broke out in it. It would set this team back to fire him, once we get the personnel back, we will be good as new.

If anyone goes, it should be Nolan, whose schemes just haven't seemed to be working. With likely a lot of turnover on the d-line, it wouldn't set back the d to do a coordinator switch. But frankly, I'd keep him for another season as well.

Daboyle250 on the sig

FakingInjuries wrote:

BeeperKing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcons145 wrote:
BeeperKing wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Good coordinators get new ideas when everyone has figured out your stuff, which our coordinators have failed to do

That's fine and dandy, BUT YOU SAID YOU WANTED MURLARKEY BACK.

Daboyle250 on the sig

FakingInjuries wrote:

terrell123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mularkey/VanGorder or Koetter/Nolan? Reply with quote

falcons145 wrote:
Which one would you rather have? The way this season is going it seems like a no brainer to go with Mularkey/VanGorder, but I want insight from people
That's like saying would you rather eat a turd sandwich, or eat a sandwich with a turd in it. Brick wall
falcons145

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mularkey/VanGorder or Koetter/Nolan? Reply with quote

terrell123 wrote:
falcons145 wrote:
That's like saying would you rather eat a turd sandwich, or eat a sandwich with a turd in it. Brick wall

Pretty much.
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeperKing wrote:
I feel like we're all forgetting what Dirk accomplished last year. His installation of the no-huddle offense took the team from very good to elite. Matt Ryan had an MVP-caliber season in his offense and Jones broke out in it. It would set this team back to fire him, once we get the personnel back, we will be good as new.

If anyone goes, it should be Nolan, whose schemes just haven't seemed to be working. With likely a lot of turnover on the d-line, it wouldn't set back the d to do a coordinator switch. But frankly, I'd keep him for another season as well.

I don't think anyone is forgetting what Dirk accomplished in the passing game last year. But we still were not balanced. And for what it's worth, we weren't blowing out teams on a consisitent basis either. Our run game has suffured severely since the removal of Mularkey. I'd like to see a coordinator who likes the use of a run game and play action. Matt Ryan isn't a QB that should be throwing the ball 60 times a game. I'd like to see his attempts around 35-40 a game. I think that our personnel would flourish in a more balanced attack.

Someone has to answer for the lack of scoring in the redzone. Matt Ryan isn't going to be held accountable for that. So you know Dirk will and maybe he should. But I def don't want Mularkey back. But I know there are better O-coordinators that would love to get their hands on our offensive weaponry than Dirk.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the playcalling this year has been near as atrocious as it was in the Mularkey/BVG days. Its simply poor execution.

The Tampa and Carolina games Nolan actually dialed up some pretty good pressure and forced some bad plays. Brian Van Gorder ran the most passive, ineffective defense I have ever laid eyes on. I think Nolan's just hesitant with what to do when he doesn't have Spoon and Biermann out there, who were centerpieces of his scheme.

As for Mularkey vs Koetter, would you rather have an offense who doesn't know how to pass or doesn't know how to run? In this day and age I'll take the latter. Koetter has also been without his two probowl wideouts, his allstar starting RB, and a decent offensive line so... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt over the ever-blood-pressure-raising-style of Mularkey

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about neither? Nolan is the only one worth keeping. Koetter needs to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShockdAtFalcons wrote:
I don't think the playcalling this year has been near as atrocious as it was in the Mularkey/BVG days. Its simply poor execution.

The Tampa and Carolina games Nolan actually dialed up some pretty good pressure and forced some bad plays. Brian Van Gorder ran the most passive, ineffective defense I have ever laid eyes on. I think Nolan's just hesitant with what to do when he doesn't have Spoon and Biermann out there, who were centerpieces of his scheme.

As for Mularkey vs Koetter, would you rather have an offense who doesn't know how to pass or doesn't know how to run? In this day and age I'll take the latter. Koetter has also been without his two probowl wideouts, his allstar starting RB, and a decent offensive line so... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt over the ever-blood-pressure-raising-style of Mularkey

This man. He gets it.

Daboyle250 on the sig

FakingInjuries wrote:

JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really blame Koetter for our lack of the run game when we had the human blob Michael Turner and Quizz in the backfield. Our run blocking was not good and still is not good. He has tried to implement more screens as an extension of the run game. We didn't and still don't have the personnel for a balanced offense.

Like someone said earlier, I think Nolan is hesitant to unleash his full exotic blitz packages and be aggressive because of the injuries and poor play in the secondary. I wouldn't want to call a blitz with 2 rookie corners, 2 UDFA LB, and a horrible safety in DeCoud back there.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Lentz33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster of this obviously doesn't remember BVG and Mularky, and are panicking pretty hard right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: