Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

IF the draft was today, position you would draft round 1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

IF the draft were today, position you would draft round 1?
OT
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
OLB
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
DE
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
DT
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
OG
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
TE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
S
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MLB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
But I just am hesitant on taking a guy like Barr who converted from FB to DE in college and had one year where he balled out. (Jaamal Anderson anyone???)
Terrible comparison. Barr has already shown more college production than Anderson, who just had that one good year. Barr is on pace to have another 10 sack/20 tackle for loss season.

I disagree, he could be a system guy. There is no doubt that he has put up nice numbers since his position change but the experience is not there for me over guys like Clowney or even Michael Sam who would be available in the 2nd round.

Just dont like Barr for this team. Great player but he isnt a scheme fit. We could change our scheme bu then we're talking about replacing more players already in place.

This team clearly has problems that more than 1 draft will fix, next year can be a great start if its a hit and can get us back to winning 10-13 ganes yearly while still improving.
devils1854

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
But I just am hesitant on taking a guy like Barr who converted from FB to DE in college and had one year where he balled out. (Jaamal Anderson anyone???)
Terrible comparison. Barr has already shown more college production than Anderson, who just had that one good year. Barr is on pace to have another 10 sack/20 tackle for loss season.

I disagree, he could be a system guy. There is no doubt that he has put up nice numbers since his position change but the experience is not there for me over guys like Clowney or even Michael Sam who would be available in the 2nd round.

Just dont like Barr for this team. Great player but he isnt a scheme fit. We could change our scheme bu then we're talking about replacing more players already in place.

This team clearly has problems that more than 1 draft will fix, next year can be a great start if its a hit and can get us back to winning 10-13 ganes yearly while still improving.

I think a Barr or Khalil Mack would definitely fit our system. Nolan clearly had Biermann working on the hybrid DE\OLB role during training camp, and we probably would have seen it a good bit this year if Biermann didnt get hurt. There really isnt anyone else on the team that fits that role, so it has been scrapped, but I could see Nolan bringing it back next year if we got a rush linebacker, and we wouldnt have to change the system.

#JDI
swoosh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

Lol, wut? You said he had one good year, which is simply not true. The end.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

not to mention he's completely different than Jamaal Anderson because he's instinctual, athletic and versatile. 3 things that Anderson never was.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

Ok, well to be adult about the conversation the main premise was the experience factor. I am a proponent of players who have experience at a position. Barr doesn't have that. Plain and simple. He changed his position while in college and has been in one scheme for two years. He has benefitted from the change but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be question marks there.

Guys like Sam, Clowney, Drew...etc... Have played the DE position throughout their college careers and have flourished. No one is a sure thing, but experience trumphs for me especially at the DE position. Barr's sample size is too small for me to pick him that high.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

not to mention he's completely different than Jamaal Anderson because he's instinctual, athletic and versatile. 3 things that Anderson never was.

They are both different players (Especially scheme-wise). Not comparing how they play at all. The only similarity was the amount of time they played their position and Anderson at least played longer at DE at Arkansas than Barr did at UCLA. Their were a few scouts who kept harping on how athletic Anderson was. Just looking at the scouting comments makes me laugh today because they were so wrong.

Anderson had some good stats in his career at Arkasnas:

He recorded 130 tackles (84 solos) with 17.5 sacks for minus-128 yards and 32 stops for losses of 167 yards. He was credited with 35 quarterback pressures and eight pass deflections. He blocked one kick, caused a pair of fumbles and recovered another

Barr certianly has put up some good numbers too. I just don't like him here over Clowney or a Sam for the reasons stated above.

SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

They are both different players (Especially scheme-wise). Not comparing how they play at all. The only similarity was the amount of time they played their position and Anderson at least played longer at DE at Arkansas than Barr did at UCLA. Their were a few scouts who kept harping on how athletic Anderson was. Just looking at the scouting comments makes me laugh today because they were so wrong.

Anderson had some good stats in his career at Arkasnas:

He recorded 130 tackles (84 solos) with 17.5 sacks for minus-128 yards and 32 stops for losses of 167 yards. He was credited with 35 quarterback pressures and eight pass deflections. He blocked one kick, caused a pair of fumbles and recovered another

Barr certianly has put up some good numbers too. I just don't like him here over Clowney or a Sam for the reasons stated above.

Barr is an Rush OLB... I don't think he would put his hand in the dirt much if he came to the Falcons. It's not really fair to compare Clowney to Barr. Barr is not strictly a pass rusher, but that is not to say he is a slacker getting to the QB (13.5 sacks last yr). He is an x-factor ALL OVER THE FIELD. He would absolutely fit our system in Biermann's role. He is GREAT in coverage (he is matched up against slot receivers sometimes) AND can rush the passer from a rush backer position. I've said it before and I'll say it again - think Von Miller in Denver - Sam rush backer. He could put on some more weight though.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Sam isn't even in the same zip code as Anthony Barr when it comes to draft value. Sam is at best a late 1st come april. Barr is a top 5 guy.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody else perplexed that Clowney is having an extremely minimal impact this year in an injury riddled SEC east?

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Michael Sam isn't even in the same zip code as Anthony Barr when it comes to draft value. Sam is at best a late 1st come april. Barr is a top 5 guy.

Michael Sam is an under the radar kind of DE. He has been very dominant this year. He is a bit undersized but he is quick and has underrated strength. If Clowney was not in the SEC Sam would be getting all the hype. Not to mention he is a senior. (TD loves that kinda stuff apparently). He def doesn't have the hype that Barr has but that doesn't mean he won't be the better player in the NFL. And why choose Barr so high if you can get a Jake Matthews or Nix in the 1st and then a Sam in the second? Sam fits our scheme better as Mizzu runs a lot of 4-3 looks.

tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShockdAtFalcons wrote:
Is anybody else perplexed that Clowney is having an extremely minimal impact this year in an injury riddled SEC east?

It's concerning but the hype surrounding him was way too overblown in the first place. He could not live up to what he was porjected to do. No one could. And USC lost some bigtime players in Taylor and Swearinger that allowed Clowney to kinda wing it on that Dline. With them gone he has to finally do it all himself.

Whether or not he is toning it back for whatever reasons (not to get hurt, don't care because no Natl Champtionship shot, work ethic...) he has tremendous upside. Teams are def tweaking there offensive gameplans around him. But he will be a good to possibly great DE in the NFL if he can stay healthy. My concern would be his previous injuries if anything. But the guy can play.

swoosh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

Ok, well to be adult about the conversation the main premise was the experience factor. I am a proponent of players who have experience at a position. Barr doesn't have that. Plain and simple. He changed his position while in college and has been in one scheme for two years. He has benefitted from the change but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be question marks there.

Guys like Sam, Clowney, Drew...etc... Have played the DE position throughout their college careers and have flourished. No one is a sure thing, but experience trumphs for me especially at the DE position. Barr's sample size is too small for me to pick him that high.
Barr's sample size is too small for you, yet to bring up Sam, a guy who had less sacks in his first three seasons than Barr did in his first year. Barr is a top five prospect for a reason. Not only does he have an amazing skillset as a pass rusher, but he has the production to match his talent. The fact that he has performed the way he has, without having much experience at the position, is a huge plus for me. I don't know why you're trying to make it a con.

Quote:
Colorado made a bit of history against UCLA on Saturday night, holding the Bruins' All-America outside linebacker Anthony Barr without a tackle for loss for the first time in his college career.
That's just crazy. Talk about consistency.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

Barr's sample size is too small for you, yet to bring up Sam, a guy who had less sacks in his first three seasons than Barr did in his first year. Barr is a top five prospect for a reason. Not only does he have an amazing skillset as a pass rusher, but he has the production to match his talent. The fact that he has performed the way he has, without having much experience at the position, is a huge plus for me. I don't know why you're trying to make it a con.

Quote:
Colorado made a bit of history against UCLA on Saturday night, holding the Bruins' All-America outside linebacker Anthony Barr without a tackle for loss for the first time in his college career.
That's just crazy. Talk about consistency.

Sam has improved every year at Mizzu since 2011. I don't know if you rememeber but Mizzu had some studs on that Dline throughout the past few years so Sam had to wait his turn. Sacks in college tell only part of the story. Competiton, overall play, experience are factors as well. Sam has the experience and it has shown because he is getting better at being an all around DE. He plays the run very well and he can disrupt plays too.

I don't want to be that "SEC guy" but they tend to have the best Defensive prospects for a reason. You get tested in the trenches far more in the SEC so the production there is going to be given a higher rating to me. Experience is a pro for me. It doesn't have to be for you which is quite evident. I am not saying Barr is not good, I just have questions about his experience level at that position since all he is asked to do is rush the passer and he has been doing it 1 and a half years.

swoosh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're like my marketing teacher who just rambles. I have no idea what you are even trying to prove at this point. I was simply showing you that Barr is nothing like Jamaal Anderson. You are somehow trying to turn the fact that Barr has switched positions into a con, which it is not. Claiming he has had just one good season (by comparing him to Anderson) and stating that his sample size is small is misguided. He has been one of the most consistent players in all of college football since the start of last year. Not every player is a four-year starter; a two-year sample size is not really small. If he had just one good year like Anderson, then yeah, there is some concern.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
You're like my marketing teacher who just rambles. I have no idea what you are even trying to prove at this point. I was simply showing you that Barr is nothing like Jamaal Anderson. You are somehow trying to turn the fact that Barr has switched positions into a con, which it is not. Claiming he has had just one good season (by comparing him to Anderson) and stating that his sample size is small is misguided. He has been one of the most consistent players in all of college football since the start of last year. Not every player is a four-year starter; a two-year sample size is not really small. If he had just one good year like Anderson, then yeah, there is some concern.

I don't know what you not listening to your marketing teacher has to do with football and from your post it seems like you are in high school? That explains a lot. Anyway your opinion is your opinion. I don't agree with it at all. I think that Barr's sample size and position change poses a question mark to his translation to the NFL. You like Barr. Great. Nothing I say will dissuade you from that. That's good as well. We will have to agree to disagree. When you get older you will learn that has to happen sometimes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: