Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Lee/Bob Strum: "No bad teams/Wins"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Sean Lee/Bob Strum: "No bad teams/Wins" Reply with quote

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 51m
#Cowboys Sean Lee to me, on beating Vikings: 'There's no bad teams. Just teams with bad records. That's a good win right there.'

I'M not saying Sean Lee is right. I AM saying: You as a #Cowboys fan think ur qualified to tell him he's wrong abt football? Um, OK.

Quote:
If there is one thing I have learned covering the Dallas Cowboys over the last 16 seasons, it is the idea that on many Mondays during the year, the team will be expected to apologize for winning a game without the requisite style that those who enjoyed the dynasty days came to expect 2 decades ago.

You see, there are losses (which, of course, are unacceptable). But, there are also wins that feel like losses to so many who lived through somewhere between 3 and 5 Lombardi Trophies, and certainly didn't expect to wait this long for #6.

What happens, of course, is when you add up the real losses and the perceived losses over the course of every year, you find that there are only about 3-4 Mondays where the franchise is in good standing with its fan-base. It is the toughest of crowds. It is also a delusion-filled crowd that has not changed its expectation level to coincide with the changes in the NFL, but surely that isn't their fault, right?

Anyway, after beating the Vikings on a 90-yard drive that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat - a complete reversal to the deed that was done to Dallas last week in Detroit - the loathing began again.

"Dallas played down to its competition!"

Here is a question: What if this is the level of both the Dallas Cowboys and most of its competition? What if they are not playing "down" to its competition but rather, just playing? What if it is all an illusion that makes you believe that this team, with its fancy stadium, reputation, and Sky Mirror, is superior to its foes most weeks, but in reality, they are Detroit or Minnesota or Philadelphia or Washington, but in fancier clothing?

-----------------------------------------

Don't be afraid to recognize the difficulty in that. It doesn't mean you have to enjoy mediocrity or being a normal NFL franchise, but it does mean that every Sunday must be taken seriously and appreciated when victories are achieved. Nothing comes easy to the Dallas Cowboys; that is true. But, look around the league. Nothing comes easy to just about every team in pro football.

So, you can be mad at Romo for not being Troy Aikman, Garrett for not being Jimmy Johnson, and Murray for not being Emmitt Smith. Or, you can accept that for now, this is the best team they can put on the field and understand that the 1990's Cowboys are not coming back unless you dust off your VHS tapes. And in a race against the 2013 versions of the Eagles, Redskins, and Giants, this group holds a small lead in early November.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-morning-after-cowboys-27-vikings-23.html

Quote:
Terrance Williams said he needed to do a better job of preventing the interception of Tony Romo in the fourth quarter.

“I ran past him to try to see if he would turn and move his hips, but he didn’t. He just stayed there,” Williams said of cornerback A.J. Jefferson, who grabbed the sideline pass with 4:29 left in the game and the Vikings ahead 23-20. “I tried to cut him off, but I’ve just got to do a better job of being more physical, or just at least trying to deflect the ball so a pick like that wouldn’t happen.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/11/terrance-williams-takes-the-blame-for-a-tony-romo-interception-again.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
ARLINGTON — Bruce Carter appeared to get his wakeup call Sunday after he lost his spot in the starting lineup at weakside linebacker. Ernie Sims, the veteran who replaced him, struggled, giving Carter the opportunity to reclaim a bigger role in the Cowboys’ 27-23 victory over Minnesota.

Carter finished with six tackles and proved more dependable than Sims, who became a liability early in the game. On a 79-yard scoring drive by the Vikings in the second quarter, Sims missed multiple tackles. And from that point forward the Cowboys relied on Carter.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/dallas-cowboys-lb-bruce-carter-loses-spot-in-starting-lineup-comes-back-to-earn-praise-of-head-coach.html/

Quote:
ARLINGTON – Dallas Cowboys second-year cornerback Morris Claiborne missed his first game of the season Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings. He was inactive with a strained hamstring.

Claiborne said he won’t play next week atNew Orleansand plans to be back after the Cowboys’ bye week for the road game at the Giants on Nov. 24.

“That’s still the plan as of now,” Claiborne said. “This week we should go out and probably do some running.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/dallas-cowboys-cb-morris-claiborne-says-he-will-run-next-week-but-wont-be-back-until-after-bye-week.html/?nclick_check=1

Quote:
They have not had a drive go longer than 17 yards following their last 10 takeaways. Six times Chris Jones had to punt. One time they took a knee.

For the Cowboys to be better offensively, they need to be better after takeaways. A lot better.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4718736/cowboys-get-little-from-takeaways

Quote:
However, the 24-hour rule of celebrating a win might not have been necessary in this case.

“You never minimize a win, but somewhere deep down, you know you’ve got to play a lot better,” tight end Jason Witten said. “You can be first place in the division and all that, but know that you’ve got to play better moving forward. We all have to realize that and live in the now and understand that moving forward; we need to do that in all phases of our football team.

“Enjoy the win, but deep down know that we’ve got to play better moving forward. That’ll be the message.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4718733/witten-weve-got-to-play-better
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
#Cowboys Sean Lee to me, on beating Vikings: 'There's no bad teams. Just teams with bad records. That's a good win right there.'

I'M not saying Sean Lee is right. I AM saying: You as a #Cowboys fan think ur qualified to tell him he's wrong abt football? Um, OK.

Unless you're the Jaguars. They're plain awful.

He is right though.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Unless you're the Jaguars. They're plain awful.

He is right though.

The issue is that the organization is quite content with being mediocre because it's kept the same core culture for the last 17 years. That's what we reject: anything and everything which accepts and embraces that culture.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The culture has changed 3 times in 7 years.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The culture has changed 3 times in 7 years.

No, it really hasn't. The culture will never change until Jerry is no longer in charge of the organization. It's been the same complacency, the same mediocrity, the same bloated contracts, just with different personnel and coaches. If you keep changing the people but the results aren't any different, it isn't a people problem. It's a cultural problem. And that means leadership. Executive leadership. That's the problem.

Northland wrote:
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RainerSabinDMN: This season, the #Cowboys have run the ball 33.4 percent of the time. Last season, they ran it 33.8 percent of the time. That's not balance.

So much for the improved run game we and making it a priority to improve it that we heard about all offseason

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan, I am posting this as an e-friend trying to reason with you, not to incite an e-riot.

When you aren't beating the same dead horse over and over and over, your posts are insightful and fun to read. Lately though, even after a win, it seems as if all you do is bish and beat that poor dead horse. Dude, we get it. You don't like how the team is being ran. You've hammered that point home at least a thousand times.

I'm not a Mod, but your first post in this thread seems to be nothing more than trolling in an effort to induce arguments. You are better than that, or at least you used to be. Put down the haterade already.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
@RainerSabinDMN: This season, the #Cowboys have run the ball 33.4 percent of the time. Last season, they ran it 33.8 percent of the time. That's not balance.

So much for the improved run game we and making it a priority to improve it that we heard about all offseason

The o-line has been playing better, until Waters got hurt, but our RB's haven't. Murray, as usual, has been hurt and our backups have been a disappointment. I'm pretty sure the coaches, as well as all of us, expected Randle to step up and push Murray for playing time. Instead, he has been outplayed by Lance Dunbar. At this point, given the numbers the RB's have produced, I don't blame the coaches for giving up on the run.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd very much prefer a more balanced attack and am in no way, shape or form condoning the complete abandonment of the run game. What we saw this past weekend was pathetic. I'm just saying that with our RB's lack of production, the Lions patchwork secondary and the injury to Waters, I can see why we did it. It still sucks though.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Plan, I am posting this as an e-friend trying to reason with you, not to incite an e-riot.

When you aren't beating the same dead horse over and over and over, your posts are insightful and fun to read. Lately though, even after a win, it seems as if all you do is bish and beat that poor dead horse. Dude, we get it. You don't like how the team is being ran. You've hammered that point home at least a thousand times.

I'm not a Mod, but your first post in this thread seems to be nothing more than trolling in an effort to induce arguments. You are better than that, or at least you used to be. Put down the haterade already.

It wasn't to induce an argument. It's stating a fact. The same issues keep coming up game after game, year after year. The bold section in one of the articles reads, "It doesn't mean you have to enjoy mediocrity or being a normal NFL franchise". Well, I'm agreeing with that. How is that being a troll? Because I point out why it continues to happen even though people seem to think that it'll correct itself with a different coach?

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:

That, interestingly enough, to me is the perfect run percentage for this team.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

It wasn't to induce an argument. It's stating a fact. The same issues keep coming up game after game, year after year. The bold section in one of the articles reads, "It doesn't mean you have to enjoy mediocrity or being a normal NFL franchise". Well, I'm agreeing with that. How is that being a troll? Because I point out why it continues to happen even though people seem to think that it'll correct itself with a different coach?

I'm just genuinely surprised you haven't become bored of it yet. I mean the sheer number of hours you've spent typing the same argument over and over... It's impressive, really.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

I'm just genuinely surprised you haven't become bored of it yet. I mean the sheer number of hours you've spent typing the same argument over and over... It's impressive, really.

It's boring, believe me. But, too many people keep getting sucked into the "this year is different!!!" nonsense. What everyone needs to recognize, appreciate, and accept is that a culture can't change unless the people at the top change with it.

Northland wrote:
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan- are you saying that you truly think there is no difference in the culture fostered under Parcells to Phillips to Garrett? You think, regardless of wins and losses, that there is no difference in those coaches or how they ran the team? Or the type of players/coaches they coveted? The accountability, training camps, practices, etc was all the same?

Do you think Jerry treated, respected and gave all three the same amount of authority?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Plan- are you saying that you truly think there is no difference in the culture fostered under Parcells to Phillips to Garrett? You think, regardless of wins and losses, that there is no difference in those coaches or how they ran the team? Or the type of players/coaches they coveted? The accountability, training camps, practices, etc was all the same?

Do you think Jerry treated, respected and gave all three the same amount of authority?

What I'm saying is that the players ultimately know that the coach isn't the one whom they answer to. They know that Jerry is the one who makes the decisions, so all coaches are emasculated, even if it's done unintentionally. They know that they're not held accountable for anything, that they'll get bloated deals regardless of whether they win or lose so long as their numbers are decent and they keep their noses clean. Jerry doesn't believe in accountability, so my issue is that regardless of whether Garrett is or not, Jerry will likely undermine him. He is the one who establishes the culture, not the coach. If the coach has the opportunity to form the culture, then it's the owner's job to stay out of the way and allow the coach to enforce it. But we know that doesn't happen.

Northland wrote:
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't really answer any of my questions. I wish you would, but let me just try this one:

do you think the level of "emasculation" has been the same under all 3. Or do you feel that some coaches had more say than others, albeit still not "final" say?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: