Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Represented the Chargers in a GM Mock... how did I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Represented the Chargers in a GM Mock... how did I do? Reply with quote

San Diego Chargers

HC: Mike McCoy
OC: Ken Whisenhunt
DC: John Pagano
ST: Kevin Spencer

Starter
Veteran Addition
Rookie Addition

QB: Philip Rivers, Matt McGloin, Brad Sorenson
RB: Ryan Mathews, Danny Woodhead (OW), Justin Forsett
FB: Le'Ron McClain
WR: Keenan Allen, Danario Alexander, Vincent Brown, T.J. Moe (slot), Seyi Ajirotutu
TE: Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green, John Phillips
LT: Derek Sherrod, Michael Harris (RT)
LG: Xavier Su'a-Filo, Steve Schilling (RG, RT)
C: Nick Hardwick, Bryan Stork
RG: Tre' Jackson, Johnnie Troutman (LG)
RT: D.J. Fluker, Markus Zusevics (OG)

RE: Corey Liuget, Sean Lissemore
NT: Cam Thomas, Kwame Geathers
LE: Kendall Reyes, Lawrence Guy
ROLB: Jadeveon Clowney (DE), Tourek Williams
RILB: Donald Butler, Andrew Gachkar, Reggie Walker
LILB: Manti Te'o, Jonas Moutan
LOLB: Melvin Ingram, Jarrett Johnson
CB: Derek Cox, Quandre Diggs (NB/DB, FS), Steve Williams
FS: Davon House (CB, SS), Jahleel Addae
SS: Marcus Gilchrist (CB, FS), Darrell Stuckey, Brandon Taylor
CB: Shareece Wright, Jaylen Watkins (NB/DB)

K: Nick Novak
P: Mike Scifres
LS: Mike Windt, John Phillips
KR: Danny Woodhead, Justin Forsett
PR: Danny Woodhead

Practice Squad

QB Jordan Lynch
RB Venric Mark (OW)
WR Jeff Janis
TE Ryan Otten
OG Dakota Dozier
DE Lawrence Okoye
LB Terrell Manning
CB B.J. Lowery

Trades

San Diego receives: 1st Round Pick (#20), 3rd Round Pick (#84), 2015 4th Round Pick, OT Derek Sherrod, DB Davon House
Green Bay receives: FS Eric Weddle, 7th Round Pick (#210)

San Diego receives: 1st Round Pick (#2)
New York Giants receive: 1st Round Pick (#18 ), 1st Round Pick (#20), 3rd Round Pick (#82), 3rd Round Pick (#84), DE Dwight Freeney, and WR Malcom Floyd

San Diego receives: 4th Round Pick (#123)
Indianapolis receives: OLB Thomas Keiser

San Diego receives: 2014 3rd Round Pick (#83) & 2015 4th Round Pick
Indianapolis receives: 2014 5th Round Pick (#146) & 2015 2nd Round Pick

Draft Selections

Round 1 (Pick #2): Jadeveon Clowney, OLB, South Carolina
Round 2 (Pick #50): Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
Round 3 (Pick #83): Tre' Jackson, OG, Florida State
Round 4 (Pick #114): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State
Round 4 (Pick #123): Quandre Diggs, DB, Texas
Round 6 (Pick #178): Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida

2015: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so unrealistic its impossible to comment on. I'd be very mad if we ever traded Weddle.... if he leaves the defense is done.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Its so unrealistic its impossible to comment on. I'd be very mad if we ever traded Weddle.... if he leaves the defense is done.

It's a GM Mock lol. As far as realism goes, this was one of the more realistic offseasons in it. I understand how valuable Weddle is, but if they could get a ransom like that and possibly use it to get a pass rush prospect like Clowney... it may be worth it.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is King Dunlap gone for a guy who has never played a game? King Dunlap has actually been beyond solid....

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright here's my honest opinion.... this team would move so far back it is ridiculous.

First off, Matt McGloin is just a bad player. Sorenson is much better IMO.

Second, we have three new OL players when we really don't need 3 new OL players. As I said, Sherrod has never played a game (at least I don't think) and Dunlap was actually good, we have two rookie guards.

We have the same crappy corners as last year and we still have PAgano at DC so we're screwed. All we add is one new pass rusher and there's no telling how good Clowney would be as a standup LB. Then you add in the fact that we don't have the star safety who keeps the secondary respectable and add in a guy who doesn't play in Davon House and this team is looking at 4 or 5 wins max and that's because of the offense.

#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Alright here's my honest opinion.... this team would move so far back it is ridiculous.

First off, Matt McGloin is just a bad player. Sorenson is much better IMO.

Second, we have three new OL players when we really don't need 3 new OL players. As I said, Sherrod has never played a game (at least I don't think) and Dunlap was actually good, we have two rookie guards.

We have the same crappy corners as last year and we still have PAgano at DC so we're screwed. All we add is one new pass rusher and there's no telling how good Clowney would be as a standup LB. Then you add in the fact that we don't have the star safety who keeps the secondary respectable and add in a guy who doesn't play in Davon House and this team is looking at 4 or 5 wins max and that's because of the offense.

Matt McGloin shows some promise. If nothing else, he's less raw than Sorenson and it gives them both a chance to compete heading forward. Not sure what you're complaining about there.

Dunlap is an injury prone journeyman OT who will cost $2 million next season. The guards are rookies and that'll cause some issues early, but would you prefer Jeromey Clarey? Laughing Not sure why you're mad about having a young line grow together.

You're overreacting to the defense. Not a guarantee that Cox will play bad again next year and you're underrating Davon House's potential at FS. He's a question mark, but Clowney and the return of Ingram should be great for the defense heading forward. Both Diggs & Watkins have a lot of potential as well and, if nothing else, are good interior defensivebacks.

Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Matt McGloin shows some promise. If nothing else, he's less raw than Sorenson and it gives them both a chance to compete heading forward. Not sure what you're complaining about there.

I like what you did with the McGloin signing. Bringing in cheap veteran competition for the #2 this offseason makes a lot of sense. This front office showed last season that they're not concerned about making popular picks/signings, but rather take the players they like. Even if McGloin isn't the guy, he represents the under-the-radar player with certain attributes the QB coach likes that we'll probably see sign with the Chargers this coming offseason.

Quote:
Dunlap is an injury prone journeyman OT who will cost $2 million next season. The guards are rookies and that'll cause some issues early, but would you prefer Jeromey Clarey? Laughing Not sure why you're mad about having a young line grow together.

I agree with Jammer about the OL. Dunlap may have the reputation of a journeyman from his Eagles days, but he hasn't played like it here. He's given us the kind of production you'd expect from a big name FA signing at a fraction of the price.

Regarding the guards, I think Troutman deserves a starting spot. He looked like an afterthought, coming into the season as 3rd string, but has filled in impressively for Rinehart the past 5 games. I thought we were going to be in trouble since he didn't stand out in preseason, but he's been strong in both pass protection and run blocking. The only issue is the mental errors, particularly the weekly false start penalty, but that may be remedied with experience.

Quote:
You're overreacting to the defense. Not a guarantee that Cox will play bad again next year and you're underrating Davon House's potential at FS. He's a question mark, but Clowney and the return of Ingram should be great for the defense heading forward. Both Diggs & Watkins have a lot of potential as well and, if nothing else, are good interior defensivebacks.

I'm not sure what my stance on the Weddle and Clowney trades is...

It's interesting to see a scenario where the Chargers do what it takes to land Clowney, so I support your decision to make that happen.

I feel like the moves work well on paper. On paper, the Weddle trade is a shrewd move that sees the Chargers buy low on two starters who are valued like throw-ins. However, my concern is that when the games start, that Sherrod and House will be anywhere but the field (or otherwise very underwhelming) and it takes a turn for the Gaither+Meachem. And, in that scenario, the Clowney trade looks bad. I wouldn't mind if the Chargers were effectively trading Weddle (and change, presumably) for Clowney, but I'm concerned that they're giving up Weddle and a 1st and 3rd. That puts a lot of pressure on both Sherrod and House to come in and play at a high level to justify the move. Likewise, I'd argue that re-signing Danario Alexander after moving on from Royal and Floyd looks good on paper... until DX needs yet another knee surgery. In that case, I'm a bit worried about the depth at WR.

I'm also worried about the the depth at RB. They're not using Mathews as a feature back (like he had been under Norv), and are splitting playing time among the RBs like a true RBBC. Although the Chargers are currently carrying 3 RBs, it feels like they're playing with fire. We saw in the Raiders game that we're on Mathews injury away from having no run game whatsoever. And, even with Mathews, we've been struggling to run the ball in the redzone. I like that you used the late round picks to replenish the secondary depth, but I could also see that as a prime opportunity to replenish the RB depth. I don't expect Ronnie Brown to keep staying with the team, and that would open up multiple vacancies for backup RBs this offseason.

One last thing: what Jedi mind trick did you perform to get a 4th for Thomas Keiser?
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

I like what you did with the McGloin signing. Bringing in cheap veteran competition for the #2 this offseason makes a lot of sense. This front office showed last season that they're not concerned about making popular picks/signings, but rather take the players they like. Even if McGloin isn't the guy, he represents the under-the-radar player with certain attributes the QB coach likes that we'll probably see sign with the Chargers this coming offseason.

Quote:

I agree with Jammer about the OL. Dunlap may have the reputation of a journeyman from his Eagles days, but he hasn't played like it here. He's given us the kind of production you'd expect from a big name FA signing at a fraction of the price.

Regarding the guards, I think Troutman deserves a starting spot. He looked like an afterthought, coming into the season as 3rd string, but has filled in impressively for Rinehart the past 5 games. I thought we were going to be in trouble since he didn't stand out in preseason, but he's been strong in both pass protection and run blocking. The only issue is the mental errors, particularly the weekly false start penalty, but that may be remedied with experience.

Quote:

I'm not sure what my stance on the Weddle and Clowney trades is...

It's interesting to see a scenario where the Chargers do what it takes to land Clowney, so I support your decision to make that happen.

I feel like the moves work well on paper. On paper, the Weddle trade is a shrewd move that sees the Chargers buy low on two starters who are valued like throw-ins. However, my concern is that when the games start, that Sherrod and House will be anywhere but the field (or otherwise very underwhelming) and it takes a turn for the Gaither+Meachem. And, in that scenario, the Clowney trade looks bad. I wouldn't mind if the Chargers were effectively trading Weddle (and change, presumably) for Clowney, but I'm concerned that they're giving up Weddle and a 1st and 3rd. That puts a lot of pressure on both Sherrod and House to come in and play at a high level to justify the move. Likewise, I'd argue that re-signing Danario Alexander after moving on from Royal and Floyd looks good on paper... until DX needs yet another knee surgery. In that case, I'm a bit worried about the depth at WR.

I'm also worried about the the depth at RB. They're not using Mathews as a feature back (like he had been under Norv), and are splitting playing time among the RBs like a true RBBC. Although the Chargers are currently carrying 3 RBs, it feels like they're playing with fire. We saw in the Raiders game that we're on Mathews injury away from having no run game whatsoever. And, even with Mathews, we've been struggling to run the ball in the redzone. I like that you used the late round picks to replenish the secondary depth, but I could also see that as a prime opportunity to replenish the RB depth. I don't expect Ronnie Brown to keep staying with the team, and that would open up multiple vacancies for backup RBs this offseason.

One last thing: what Jedi mind trick did you perform to get a 4th for Thomas Keiser?

Some really good stuff in there. I agree with a lot of what you said. I realized going in that the Sherrod & House moves could backfire, but I felt they made the most sense with that trade and what I wanted to do. I evaluated both highly when they came out and felt I was getting a couple of quality, albeit risky, pieces.

I like Troutman... and to be honest, Schilling and Harris as well. In fact, my fallback was to have those three battle it out for the LG spot with Chad Rinehart sliding over to the RG spot since he can play either position. However, I have Su'a-Filo and Tre' both graded out very highly (and Stork as well). With how the draft fell, I thought I almost ensured that the team would have quality young linemen emerge and quality depth to go along with it. I should also note that I felt I got tremendous value on Diggs & Watkins and that I really am high (albeit, perhaps slightly biased) on UDFA B.J. Lowery.

I do share your concern at RB and WR. Originally, I wanted to address both positions early and I wanted to work a couple of trades, but neither really have presented themselves. In fact, my target at #50 was De'Anthony Thomas and I wanted to get either 1) Bishop Sankey or 2) Tre' Jackson in my trade up into the third. I missed out on both. I'm high on UDFA Venric Mark though. For every bit of praise Dri Archer gets, Venric Mark deserves that and much more. I also got sniped on Brandin Cooks in the 4th. I originally wanted him with my first selection, but had to settle for Bryan Stork who I think can develop into a quality center down the road.

I actually cut Thomas Keiser to start off, but once he started getting a few splash plays, I re-signed him thinking that either somebody would come knocking or that he'd be worth keeping around another year. Well, I got an offer for a 5th on him and I fished for a 4th and got it. I was pretty shocked, but I wasn't going to complain.

Edit: I forgot to mention about King Dunlap... he had a lot of moments in Philly where he looked great too. His talent has never really been much of a question. He's always been injured and that resurfaced again this year. I didn't think paying $2 million to hope he'd finally stay healthy and maybe be an intermediate solution was worth missing out on a young player I feel can bounce back strong from one injury and possibly be a long-term solution. I also felt comfortable with the move because the Chargers have Harris who seemed to have improved this year at LT when he filled in at that spot (before being injured himself).

Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: nevermind, this post was based on faulty info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: