Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Lee's chances at DPOY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Sean Lee's chances at DPOY Reply with quote

What do you guys think his chances are for Defensive Player of the Year? How about Comeback Player of the Year? Since he was injured for most of last year.

These are his stats for the year so far (Through first 9 games)

90 Combined Tackles (63 solo, 27 asst) 1 Fumble Recovery, 4 INT (1 of which for a TD), 6 Passes Defended.

I don't know who else could be considered thus far, but what do you guys think? Do you think the fact that our defense is really terrible will exclude him from consideration? Or will his personal achievements shine through?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll definitely earn comeback player of the year as long as they don't give it to RGIII (even though he shouldn't have any business being eligible for it).

As for DPOY, I think he's one of the best candidates for it, but I think our win/loss record will ruin any real chance he has to win it, even though he's been spectacular this season. This defense is a perfect match for his skill set.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the overall performance of the defense will hurt his chances at winning the award, unfortunately. If we win the division and have a 10+ win season, he could have a shot at it but I see it going to someone else even though he'll certainly deserve it with the way he's been playing.

^^^mack
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wins it over him then? Not disagreeing, I just don't know who the real candidates would be at this point. The 'experts' have Terrell Suggs are the favorite right now, with a few people saying JJ Watt and Richard Sherman..

Now Suggs is on the Ravens who are in the same boat as the Cowboys and The Texans are the Texans, so if Lee would be excluded for the overall success, wouldn't both of those guys be excluded also? And Sherman I guess has a chance at it, I just don't think he deserves it more than Lee (call me a homer I guess)
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has no chance at DPOY. You can't be on one of the worst defenses in the NFL, and win DPOY, unless you have 15 or more sacks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
He has no chance at DPOY. You can't be on one of the worst defenses in the NFL, and win DPOY, unless you have 15 or more sacks.

Didn't help Ware out in 2008.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamEater53 wrote:
Who wins it over him then? Not disagreeing, I just don't know who the real candidates would be at this point. The 'experts' have Terrell Suggs are the favorite right now, with a few people saying JJ Watt and Richard Sherman..

Now Suggs is on the Ravens who are in the same boat as the Cowboys and The Texans are the Texans, so if Lee would be excluded for the overall success, wouldn't both of those guys be excluded also? And Sherman I guess has a chance at it, I just don't think he deserves it more than Lee (call me a homer I guess)

Muhammad Wilkerson will likely draw some attention because of how influential he's been to the Jets.

Northland wrote:
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Muhammad Wilkerson will likely draw some attention because of how influential he's been to the Jets.

That's probably a good guess, Wilkerson has been tearing it up. I live in NY and am forced to watch a lot of Jets games.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:

Didn't help Ware out in 2008.

Just saying you have little chance on a bad d, no matter how great a season you have. Clarified to have 'no' chance. Jared Allen would be a prime example.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this team finished the season with 10 or more wins, Lee would definitely be 1 of the top 2 or 3 vote getters. As it stands now, he'll probably get passed over, even though he is very deserving.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 sacks
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the D has been poor, it'd be hard to overlook the "Band of Backups" he is lwading and playing behind. I agree it'd be an uoh ill battle but its a down year across the board it seems for DPOY and he has as good a shot/case as anyone

Sig courtesy of mack.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Justin Houston or Robert Mathis(who is leading the league in sacks plus Colts have better record than the Cowboys) Watt is having a so-so year, and don't think he will be a candidate.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
What about Justin Houston or Robert Mathis(who is leading the league in sacks plus Colts have better record than the Cowboys) Watt is having a so-so year, and don't think he will be a candidate.

Mario Williams is up there as well but I think at the end of the day its usually the best player on a too 3 D so a Houston or similar player is a front runner

Sig courtesy of mack.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
If this team finished the season with 10 or more wins, Lee would definitely be 1 of the top 2 or 3 vote getters. As it stands now, he'll probably get passed over, even though he is very deserving.

The unfortunate thing is that awards like these are a lot like the Heisman Trophy. Wins play for more an impactful role than they should when trying to determine the best player. Being the best defensive player in the league, like being the best (sadly, offensive) player in the country with respect to the Heisman, has nothing to do with wins. Adrian Peterson is still the best RB in the league whether the Vikings have 1 win right now or 7. The wins don't change the man's ability and impact on the field.

Northland wrote:
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:

I agree with this. Also, I think the leading contenders for DPOY are Justin Houston, Robert Mathis, Cameron Wake, and Earl Thomas. Wilkerson is a good one, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: