Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gio's Midseason Mock!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Gio's Midseason Mock! Reply with quote

In this mock my main priority is to get as many weapons and playmakers possible to help Geno Smith improve and grow into the future franchise quarterback that i think he can be. If we neglect getting players around him i can see him becoming a slightly better version than Sanchez and as we all know that isnt good!! My plan is to use free agency to get a few quality players and a couple more who can be solid role players for us but concentrate on resigning our own talent and let Geno grow with some young and hungry wide receivers!

According to a few sites we should have $99,621,921 on the books for next year and with the rollover cap and small cap increase i put us around the $30,000,000 in available space.

Cuts:

Mark Sanchez- ($8.3m saved) Where do i start?? Pretty self explanatory he is a likable guy but not worth the contract he has with us. May get a fresh start somewhere else as a solid backup.

Santonio Holmes- ($8.25m saved) Has been a ticking time bomb for two years now im just ready to move on. Really like his play but not the type of person we need in the locker room.

Dawan Landry- ($1.5m saved) Not the same athlete as his brother and the lack of a true ballhawk in our secondary has killed us for three/four years now, need and upgrade over Landry.

Mike Goodson- ($1.3m saved) Liked the small bits that i saw but i feel like we need someone who wont cause distraction and with the injury he had unfortunately makes him expendable. Could find a cheaper alternative in the draft.

Clyde Gates, Alex Green and Ben Ijalana all dont need an explanation and combined we save $2.22m.

Cap Space= $51,570,000

Resignings:

Austin Howard- 4year $14m with $4m cap hit this year. I think he is a solid right tackle who is worth making a financial gamble on being consistent and to steadily improve year in year out.

Jeff Cumberland- 3year $7m with $2.3m cap hit this year. I dont believe he has done enough to warrant anymore money, this contract will pay him well for the next three years and if he becomes an elite tight end (HUGE IF) then will be in line for more money in only three years time.

Nick Folk- 2 year $2m with $1m cap hit this year. Very consistent and dependable, exactly what you want from your kicker.

Darrin Walls- 3 year $3m with $1m cap hit this year. We give him extra security of a three year deal in the hopes he can continue to be a solid role player and good cover corner.

Ellis Lankaster- 1 year $730k. Good special teamer and can play in the many complex roles in Rex's dime packages.

Legar Douzable- 1 year $730k. Nice role player on the d-line and can keep improving working with Dunbar and Rex.

Matt Simms- 1 year 480k. Shown enough to warrant the number three quarterback role.

Cap Space= $41,330,000

Trades:

Kenrick Ellis- Houston Texans for a 4th round pick in 2014 (110 overall) and conditional pick in 2015 dependent on resigning the following season. I feel bad for Ellis as i think he has improved and could be a solid nose tackle in a 3-4 defense its a shame for him that Snacks has come in and been awesome that a team like Houston could really do with a run stuffing tackle up front.
Liked the trade i seen in Green24's mock a while back so think il use that here!!

Cap Space= $42,015,000

Extensions:

Muhammad Wilkerson- 5 year $55m which takes place as of next year but $10m is taken and used this year to reduce cap hit for future years.

Jeremy Kerley- 4 year $14.4 m which takes place as of next year. I get why people have made Kerley such an important part of our team but I think he isn't worth more than 3.5- 4m a year that I think is a fair deal.

Cap Space= $34,203,000

Free Agency:

Jairus Byrd- Free Safety- 5 Year $40m with an $8 cap hit. We finally get the ball hawk we have needed in our secondary since Kerry Rhodes. I think Byrd let himself down this year with the disputes with the Bills however I still see him getting top tier money alongside the Eric Weddle's of the world.

Brain Orakpo- Outside Linebacker- 5 year $30m with a $6m cap hit. The first two years he went to the pro-bowl and looked like a stud but with injuries and a poor Redskin defense I can see him hitting free agency and hopefully we can sign him opposite QC. I think he will get a contract similar to Phillip Whealer last year from the Dolphins.

John Asamoah- Offensive Guard- 4year $20m with a cap hit of $5m. Great productivity from a 3rd round pick and has performed very consistently since entering the league. Not on the level of say J. Evans or C. Nicks but still a quality signing.

Tavaris Jackson- Quarterback- 1Year $1.5m. I think Jackson can give Geno enough competition but at the same time mentor him and help in any way he can. Always struck me as a good teammate and can do a job if needed.

Alan Branch- Nose Tackle- 1 year $1.5m. Good veteran who can sub Snacks and help keep the d-line performing to the standard we now expect!!

Cap Space= $12,203,000

NFL Draft:

For argument sake I think we will finish around 8-8 and get the 16th pick in the draft. Also Tampa will get the second overall pick giving us 66 overall in Revis trade. We also will get two extra picks in round five and six due to the comp rules.

-Trades:
Trade down from 16 with the Bengals for pick 24 and 56.
Trade up to the Chiefs 1st round pick (30) in exchange for 2nd (46), 4th (110) ,5th (142) and 2015 pick.

Marqise Lee- Wide Receiver-USC. His stock has fallen to where there are three or four receivers ranked ahead of him at the moment but I think that's more of his quarterback and team in general as to why he's slumped in performance. He has electric speed and great hands with crisp route running. Not exactly the Megatron build but MM proved with guys like Jackson and Maclin that he can make smaller elusive receivers real playmakers in his offense.

Vic Beasley- Outside Linebacker- Clemson. I think he is the best pass rusher in the draft not named Clowney or Barr! May even be better at rushing the passer than those two mentioned but he doesn't have the overall game to command such a high draft status. I think he may even slip into the second round but with the speed and technique of his pass rushing I think we could develop his over time to be an every down linebacker.

DeAnthony Thomas- Running Back-Oregon. We need as many playmakers as possible to surround Geno and with Thomas being valuable in the running game, passing game and special teams I think we can plug and play him from day 1. Great compliment to Ivory and Powell also.

Craig Loston- Safety- LSU. I think he can compete with AA for the starting safety job next to Byrd and can certainly contribute immediately in nickel packages etc. With time learning can be a really good player in a year and give us two dynamic safeties.

Jarvis Landry- Wide Receiver- LSU. For me he is going to be an absolute steal for whoever gets this guy in the third/fourth round. Great hands and runs crisp routes, reminds me of J.Cotchery who was another tough hard working receiver who we got in the fourth round in 2004.

C.J Fiederwicz- TightEnd- Iowa. I mocked him last year to us hoping he would declare for the draft. Nothing has changed since then, huge guy at 6'6 260 and has nice hands and is a good blocker. Great compliment to Cumberland and yet another target for Geno.

Keith McGill- Cornerback- Utah. 6'3 and over 200 pounds has great size for a corner. I think he could end up being a solid player from day one and eventually start opposite Milliner in a few years time after Cro moves on.

Colt Lyeria- TightEnd- Oregon.
If it wasn't go his off the field problems I could see him going in the second round, now he may go undrafted! Gives Geno a big bodied receiver who drafted this late truly is a low risk- high reward player.

Caraun Reid- Defensive End- Princeton. Can play on passing downs straight away as he can rush the passer, needs to improve his technique at the line of scrimmage but working with Rex and Dunbar would do wonders for him.

Prince Shembo- Outside Linebacker- Notre Dame.
Been a solid player on a really good defense, hasn't got the sack numbers to make a high draft pick but does so much for his team the numbers don't reflect his play. Getting younger and more athletic has been the saying since John Idzik took over last year.

Zach Kerr- Nose Tackle- Delaware.
Huge guy who is a good run stopper, another guy who gets to benefit working with Rex and Dunbar.

Depth Chart:

QB: Smith, Jackson, Simms

RB: Ivory, Powell, Thomas
FB: Bohanon

WR: Lee, Landry
Slot: Kerley, Salas
WR: Hill, Nelson
TE: Cumberland, Fiederwicz, Lyeria

LT: Ferguson, Abbushi
LG: Winters, Ducasse
C: Mangold
RG: Asamoah, Campbell
RT: Howard

LE: Wilkerson, Douzable
NT: Harrison, Branch, Kerr
RE: Richardson, Reid

OLB: Coples, Beasley
MLB: Harris, Davis, Mauga, Bellore
OLB: Orakpo, Shembo

CB: Cromartie, McGill
Slot: Wilson, Lankster
CB: Milliner, Walls

FS: Byrd, Bush
SS: Allen, Loston

K: Folk
P: Quigley

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sign up for this right now! I don't think we will be able to get Byrd and Orakpo though. I think Orakpo will get a much higher deal, maybe be likes the idea of this Jets defense but I don't think we can get both.

So if we had to get one of these two I'll take Byrd. I'm also not sure we can get a 4th for Ellis, if he was playing more then yea but he is kinda hidden in our depth chart.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this mock. Especially on offense. Add playmajers with Lee, Thomas, Landry and Fiederwicz. I like the additions on the defense too. Orakpo might cost more and Beasley is a lil undersized but I think with his speed he makes up for it.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we get Orakpo I can't see us drafting OLB that high because we'll have Rak and Q. I think either Byrd or Orakpo is more realistic. I really do like Beasley, Lee is a good pick but I prefer other WRs. I really like the Shembo pick too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mock overall, if this off-season happened it'd be ecstatic. But I don't think we'd be able to sign both Byrd and Orakpo realistically. I personally feel that the signing of Byrd is a better move and maybe snagging a replacement for Calvin in the 2nd or 3rd. Love your picks of Lee and Landry btw, wideout is defiantly the number 1 need. You defiantly did a great job improving the offense! Very Happy
doumeyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its way to early to think about mock drafts, things change players change, Time to think about mock drafts is in Febuary not half way thru a season. IF THE FOLKS WANT TO TALK ABOUT OUR NEEDS THAT ONE THING, BUT IT IS SILLY TO THINK ABOUT A MOCK DRAFT NOW.
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for feedback guys, I agree if we could only get one of Byrd or Orakpo them I'd go with the safety. The things is I don't know if Orakpo will be out of our price range considering everything but time will tell!!

xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
Its way to early to think about mock drafts, things change players change, Time to think about mock drafts is in Febuary not half way thru a season. IF THE FOLKS WANT TO TALK ABOUT OUR NEEDS THAT ONE THING, BUT IT IS SILLY TO THINK ABOUT A MOCK DRAFT NOW.

Something we have done here for last few years(probably even longer) no harm in expressing ideas and potential players etc.

rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:

It's a midseason mock based on needs. There is no harm in posting this especially when he states we go 8-8 (roughly where we could be if we don't find consistency). She these players may not be ranked the same come April but this gets everyone educated early on about potential players and then everyone will do research.
•Hustle Harder•

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't move Kenrick at all.. He's great tandem with Snacks to plug that middle.

If anything we should add another rangy/athletic D-Line man in the middle of the draft. Gotta keep beefing up those lines with Dunbar/Rex.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of those free agents might cost a bit more than you are giving them.

Not a fan of the Lee pick. I'd prefer Evans, Watkins, or Matthews.

No interest in Lyerla at all. Lack of production. Quit the team. Arrested for cocaine possession. Major pass.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much money spend in free agency

free agency will be used for depth and maybe 1 big name guy due to us having some money to spend but we got a ton of extensions coming up

Wilkerson
Kerley
Coples
Cromartie

smaller extensions

Hill
Davis
Powell
Cumberland
Allen

few years later

Harrison
Richardson
Milliner
Winters

we want to have money managed properly
green24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
too much money spend in free agency

free agency will be used for depth and maybe 1 big name guy due to us having some money to spend but we got a ton of extensions coming up

Wilkerson
Kerley
Coples
Cromartie

smaller extensions

Hill
Davis
Powell
Cumberland
Allen

few years later

Harrison
Richardson
Milliner
Winters

we want to have money managed properly

Yeah, I would take out the Orakpo signing and maybe replace him with Pace or a similar player. Pace is having arguably the best season of his career.
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the Washington area all I here about is the Redskins. They never would let Orkapo walk sadly.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love the draft picks.

I can't see us signing Brian Orakpo. The Skins will not let him go!
Other than than a very realistic Offseason that truly improves the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: