Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's talk Defense at halfway point!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Let's talk Defense at halfway point! Reply with quote

Our defense this year has been very good to excellent. Kudos to Banner, Lombardi, and Haslam for assembling three FA's who made a significant difference with Coach Horton of course leading the way with an aggressive attacking "fun to watch" defense for the most part. 3rd pick McFadden a bust so far and 7th pick Bryant has been super!

Please note that all the teams that made major moves forward in the NFL this year made it happen with Defense. KC/Browns/Carolina/Lions/ were at the bottom of the league last year and all made significant improvements on the D side.

At the beginning of year, I thought we were very strong with front 7 and very suspect DB at one CB and FS. There were visions of burnt toast and long gainers going for scores. I was wrong as Horton has transformed Skrine and Owens to be solid CB and Gipson has been above average. LB Robertson has been a successful target of the opposition and Kruger has been just OK. DQ is the man and Mingo is improving. Taylor is terrific.

Next year will have some challenges!
Hopefully we keep Horton one more year before he becomes head coach.
Resign Ward and extend Haden if possible
Make decision on Rubin as his contract is heavy
Decide which FA's make sense and keep the same profile as last group

In the draft, I still think we should use one of our first three picks(1,1,2) on defense and most likely DE. 3rd pick should be Skov, Stanford ILB to replace Robertson. One of 4th picks best FS or CB available!

In FA, I believe we will pick one Veteran using same profile as last year and I think we need a big hitting defensive back who can play S or CB.

What do you think about our Defense next year?
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to seriously work on our 3rd down defense. That's hortons biggiest flaw so far. And we need to use more zone

MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I personally think Horton is doing an outstanding job, but I always find myself saying he needs to drop a DLinemen from time to time to rob those crossing routes, at worse it would throw the QB off and cause a sack while he is keying on his target on (3rd down of course).

-The corner blitzes are cool, but im surprised more teams havn't tried to go deep when they see that.

-TJ Ward = lights out

-Skrine = Ballin

-Phil Taylor is a monster

-Armonty Bryant? Great find! But my question is where would he play on a regular basis, he excels as a pass rusher, but he is 6-4 265, not the ideal size for a 5 tech, and i'm not sure he is athletic enough for OLB but he does ball....
Browns1987

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Owens and Robertson our defense has played amazing. Im surprised with Skrine, playing much better than I expected.

Armonty was a steal, our D Line is DEEP.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browns1987 wrote:
Other than Owens and Robertson our defense has played amazing. Im surprised with Skrine, playing much better than I expected.

What is your issue with Owens?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should address offense heavy. I'D like to see a q.b.,a w.r. ,a r.b. and at least 1 or 2 off. linemen.

A guy I have my eye on at i.l.b. is Telvin Smith from Fla. St. Former safety who is good in pass coverage but needs to work on stopping the run. He could come in on passing downs for Robertson or Jackson than eventually start if he improves against the run. Could be had in 4th round. Kind of my sleeper pick right now.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Browns1987 wrote:

I would saw that yesterday might of been Owen's best game as a Browns

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Browns1987 wrote:

I would saw that yesterday might of been Owen's best game as a Browns

Yeah, he was, but he's still a weak spot. Flacco had some guys open and missed a few. It wasn't always Owens' guy, but it was a decent amount of the time.

He's not hopeless or anything like that, but opposing QB's will find him. Not looking forward to facing a guy like Brady.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see what Poyer has, he has been playing pretty well on ST.
gmer47brown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had even a mediocre running back I think we win out all our division games. We havea championship defense a good passing game and a lliability everytime we run the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmer47brown wrote:
If we had even a mediocre running back I think we win out all our division games. We havea championship defense a good passing game and a lliability everytime we run the ball.

Yeah, its incredible how good we are doing without having a running game and with Weeden playing more than half the games.

We are 4-5 and compited in pretty much every game.
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense wins championships. The great defenses I have seen in my 55 yrs of watching/playing always had a dominant T,MLB, S or in today's world NT, Will LB, and Run Safety. If we control the middle of the field and line of scrimmage, we make the playoffs. Yes, I read the comments where people think we should spend all our picks on O. This logic is silly as we really need to finalize both O and D lines so we maintain control of line of scrimmage. Look at the results of three FA's last year on D which enabled our front seven to control the line of scrimmage and put pressure on QB.

For Defense in 2014, I think we need to add the following: DE/speed pass rusher, ILB like Skov from Stanford, a big bad Safety who loves to stuff the runs, and a developmental CB with speed and size.

I am pretty sure Horton will be hired as a head coach next year but hope he stays.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
Defense wins championships. The great defenses I have seen in my 55 yrs of watching/playing always had a dominant T,MLB, S or in today's world NT, Will LB, and Run Safety. If we control the middle of the field and line of scrimmage, we make the playoffs. Yes, I read the comments where people think we should spend all our picks on O. This logic is silly as we really need to finalize both O and D lines so we maintain control of line of scrimmage. Look at the results of three FA's last year on D which enabled our front seven to control the line of scrimmage and put pressure on QB.

For Defense in 2014, I think we need to add the following: DE/speed pass rusher, ILB like Skov from Stanford, a big bad Safety who loves to stuff the runs, and a developmental CB with speed and size.

I am pretty sure Horton will be hired as a head coach next year but hope he stays.

D line is finalized. need one of mingo, sheard and kruger to step up next year. agree about the ILB.

but i dont agree that defense wins championships. i would agree with a good balanced team wins championships, or i would agree that QB wins championships.

defense will keep you in the game, but in the end the team with the most points wins, so lets get good at the side of the ball that scores points.
StewieRules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic. I caught some Stanford/Oregon highlights, then did some YouTubing & I'll tell you, luvvv what Skov & Murphy bring to a defense. Powerful, quick, technically sound and just as importantly, smart guys. Catch some interviews if you can, you'll be impressed.

Offensively, another WR would be great, a RB I think is a must and at least one good tweak on the o-line, be it a guard or a tackle (moving Schwartz to G) - and a QB, which is the biggest issue. Call me crazy BUT if Campbell continues his game and/or Hoyer comes back good to go next summer, I just don't see a crushing need to grab a QB in the 1st round, especially since Bridgewater is out of reach. Next to him Manziel strikes me as the only other guy who could play as a rookie and do more good than harm. I'm not feeling Mettenberger (improved from last year but still very much a work in progress) I don't think Hundley comes out, and Carr -- Carr I just don't know about. He looks the part but yet … Boyd does nothing for me, I dunno why but he just doesn't.

Frankly, I'd take a really good look at trading for Foles. I just think Kelly wants a mobile QB to truly run his offense. I could see Philly grabbing Manziel for sure. But Foles in our offense would be good, the kid goes down field. This is just one example, but for that matter I wouldn't rule out Cousins either. Either of those via trade, with Hoyer/Campbell in the mix, I'd feel pretty good about that.

Draft a WR early, finish off the D, then go RB & G/T mid-to-late rounds. I just like the idea of some experience under center, Despite having no running game to speak of, what Hoyer & Campbell have both done this year is nothing short of amazing.

Something like this maybe -

1a) Marques Lee WR
1b) Trent Murphy OLB/DE

2) Shayne Skov LB

3a) Lamarcus Joyner S
3b) Anthony Steen, G

4a) Carlos Hyde, RB
4b) Jeff Matthews, QB

5) CJ Copeland, FB

6) any developmental corner taller than 5-10

7) BPA

Sign one good FA, be it WR or G and this changes a bit. If you trade for Foles or Cousins & I'm sure a player with a pick from 2015 could be worked out - Philly's defense is …not good and while I hate the thought of it, decisions will have to be made regarding Rubin and/or D-Jack & their contracts.

Haven't fleshed it out yet and won't til the Bowl games & declarations are done, but you get the idea. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks building a top 3 defense isn't crazy
Wink
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I feel about 3 of our first 4 picks on defense.

ESPEICALLY a 1st rounder on another OLB.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: