Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How is Bullock still getting a paycheck?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texans02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: How is Bullock still getting a paycheck? Reply with quote

1/4, two 40-ish yard misses.

If we had an average NFL kicker we win that game by 3, or at the very least go to OT.

But we have Bullock.

The only explanation I can think of: we want one of the top end QBs (plz be Mariota!) and Bullock's total incompetence makes it less obvious we are tanking for him.

Yes please!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: How is Bullock still getting a paycheck? Reply with quote

Texans02 wrote:
1/4, two 40-ish yard misses.

If we had an average NFL kicker we win that game by 3, or at the very least go to OT.

But we have Bullock.

The only explanation I can think of: we want one of the top end QBs (plz be Mariota!) and Bullock's total incompetence makes it less obvious we are tanking for him.

Come on man, it's not like you can cut a guy mid-game. Also to be fair, he was 11-12 in his last couple games.

While I don't believe he'll be our kicker by the end of the season, I think he still gets another week or so.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to tank like the present. Might as well keep him till season end.

This is what you get when you draft an Aggie.
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) I think we will bring in competition at K - even if it is to appease some of the fan base
(2) Food for thought:
Quote:
Texans K Randy Bullock is 13-of-21 on field goals this season.
Bullock's 61.9 conversion rate ranks 32nd in the NFL. He's 0-of-4 from 50...
per rotoworld
Texans02

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I admit, I was super mad bro at him. Still think he should be done after this season, or there should be a VERY open competition at kicker for next year.

Yes please!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
(1) I think we will bring in competition at K - even if it is to appease some of the fan base
(2) Food for thought:
Quote:
Texans K Randy Bullock is 13-of-21 on field goals this season.
Bullock's 61.9 conversion rate ranks 32nd in the NFL. He's 0-of-4 from 50...
per rotoworld

The Marciano virus is even spreading to our hall of fame Punter. That 19 yard punt (immediately after that ridiculous AJ catch reversal) was as responsible for the loss as anything else. Took Luck all of 4 passes to march the Colts 52 yards for the winning TD.

As for Bullock, I watched the guy kick live 4 years at A&M and saw nothing that screamed "NFL kicker." He was accurate on PATs and converted plenty of short kicks with Sherman's Kubiak-esque FG offense, but his leg was mediocre at best and I don't recall any "high leverage" kicks that indicated he was anything special with the game on the line. Dude kicked 1 of 2 50 yarders as a senior Groza winner and hit 1 50 yarder each in his Soph & Junior years. 6th rounder, Blair Walsh kick 3 50 yards in one game last year and was 10/10 from 50 yards as a rookie - that's what a using a draft pick on a kicker is supposed to look like. Sure, Bullock was worth bringing in for a look, but nothing about this guy ever said you draft him in the 5th round and forget about kicker for 7 years. Kicking for the Texans is as easy a gig as there is as you kick a ton of VERY short field goals, 50% of the time you are kicking inside, and your division games are all in kicker friendly venues. There is a reason we plug in guys off the street and they have career seasons here like Rackers & Graham, then are never heard from again.

Dude had two things going for him:
1) He was from Klein (an area Kubiak loved enough to name his 3rd son)
2) One of the all-time great triple threat names in NFL history Randy Richard Bullock.

I'm over it. I don't need kickers to start roiding to look like Brett Hartmann, but Bullock remains a fat tub of goo that needs to commit to the work necessary to be a Pro athlete. If you are booming kicks like Janikowski it might be overlooked, but not when you miss 4 kicks under 50 yards and all 4 50 yarders most of which weren't even close.

As usual, however, clock management was the real problem at the end of the game. Burned WAY too much time after the Hopkins catch by not spiking and I think you still have to try to get 10 more yards with the 5 or 6 seconds vs. kicking immediately from 55. Of course, with Dennison running things from the booth, Case had to just use his best judgement and I'm not going to ding him too much for falling one play short when it should have never come to that.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

As usual, however, clock management was the real problem at the end of the game.

I think you could also go back early in the game to the decision to go for it from the 21 yard line on 4th and 1. While I applaud Kubiak for the guts of the call, the fact was I disagreed with the decision at that time and still now. We were rolling on both sides of the ball at that point, however it was obvious that Ben Tate was hurting (as evidenced by his weak slide two plays earlier). So rather than taking a field goal from 38 (makeable, even for Bullock), we risked a run play with an ailing running back. Make that kick and we are up 10 with a defense that is fired up.

I felt like with where we were at, and the status of our RB situation, necessitated taking the points at that instance.

As for the Bullock discussion, fact is that I have been worried about him going back to last year. I was happy he was put on IR last year as I felt like a year of being in a professional program would help him through some of the mental aspects of the game. I think he needs to be cut right now as a statement to the team, and we find a replacement for the rest of the season. Right now everyone is playing for next year, so we need to start making decisions immediately.
kanedafx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team still gives Marciano a paycheck, how can you be surprised?
Cole416

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it was McNair's plan to miss field goals on purpose so we can get Teddy or Manziel. I mean with a 2nd year kicker coming off a torn muscle im pretty sure the NFL wouldn't think it was tanking Laughing
4 TDs
treece300e

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans are bringing in 3 kickers 4 tryouts Tuesday: Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers and Justin Medlock. Rackers and Graham kicked for Texans.

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-bringing-in-three-kickers-to-workout/
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
Texans are bringing in 3 kickers 4 tryouts Tuesday: Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers and Justin Medlock. Rackers and Graham kicked for Texans.

Good. How about a new return man. And a new st coach. and maybe a cover corner or safety who won't let guys get deep.
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
treece300e wrote:

Good. How about a new return man. And a new st coach. and maybe a cover corner or safety who won't let guys get deep.

Co-sign! And an ILB who can cover TEs too please Wink
JPPT1974

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Rackers as he can kick from long range despite being 35-years old. As also add TBs on his KOs. He can also tackle if necessary!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has single handily kept us in the running for a top 5 pick....he has earned his paycheck

Most likely we bring in competition in training camp To push him and he wins the job again

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy Neil Rackets hammering returners foolish enough to try and get past him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: