Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Curious Case of Brian Orakpo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: The Curious Case of Brian Orakpo Reply with quote

So, what do we do with him? Let him walk? Resign him? Franchise him?

Slowly but surely it seems people are turning against what was once my favorite Redskin, him only having (I believe) 3 sacks on the year and Rob Jackson showing out the last 2 weeks has people turning against the idea of resigning him. I've even seen people state he wouldn't be worth a 5 for 25 deal.

Personally, while I think he's having a poor year, our front 7 has been strong in large part due to him being back in the game. They've got to account for him and, as we saw last year, we have very little pass rush without him in the game. The issue has been play-calling and our secondary, the opposing offense can get the ball out in 2 or 3 seconds and no pass rusher is gonna get home consistently with such a short passing game being tossed out against them. I feel like, a big if, if we could get him for 5 for 25 that'd be a steal of a deal on a 10 sack guy. I was expecting something in the double digits if he had a good year this year.

I'm just not sure what to do with him because we could use that cap space on other needs if the coaching staff feels Jenkins and Jackson could hold down that other OLB spot alongside Kerrigan, but that opens another longer term hole on our D when our Front 7 is about the only thing to write home about.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that sacks are the main indicator for an OLB.

When we had many sacks, we lost almost all games. Now we have less (or none) but we win some games. I truly feel that in some cases less pass rush helps us to defend better against passing game.
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him walk. Draft someone who can actually play linebacker.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel we should re-sign him, but not give him top pass rusher money because he hasn't earned that.

Sacks are not the be all end all indicator of a good pass rusher, pressure is.

As Brian and Geronimo were saying, he commands double teams which frees up our other defenders (including Kerigan) to make more plays. He always goes vs the opposing teams best offensive lineman.

He is also coming off of two major tears to his pectoral muscle which kept him our a year, IMO that's why he struggled to wrap up his tackles at first and missed a few sacks in the first month - he didn't trust his arm/shoulder/pec.

He leads the team in hurries and hits on the Qb.

He gets the most consistent pass rush of any of the pass rushers. He's improved vs the run and in coverage over the past year and a half. He always gives 100%.

He's become a leader on and off the field and in the lockeroom.

I think they re-sign him but not to some deal like a Demarcus Ware or Clay Matthews got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee , let me think on this one ..hhhmm..???
LET HIM WALK,,LET HIM RUN!! GET HIM OUTTA HERE _ B U S T ..
This guy was gonna be like 2 or 3 pick, dropped to 8--Lucky Us ! Rolling Eyes YES, there is more than just sacks, It's pass coverage ( He sucks ) and stopping the run, tackling ( He sucks ) ..
Whew-- I fell better .. Cool

Last edited by RSkinGM on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcus21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought RAK played a really good game against the Chargers. He has been playing the run much better lately much like the rest of the team!! Rivers pulled a few Houdini moves to avoid sacks. The D is much improved! I think Turtle makes a good point! He is gets good pressure to make the QB make quick decisions.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I thought RAK played a really good game against the Chargers. He has been playing the run much better lately much like the rest of the team!! Rivers pulled a few Houdini moves to avoid sacks. The D is much improved! I think Turtle makes a good point! He is gets good pressure to make the QB make quick decisions.

Really??--Did you focus on him yesterday.. I tried to single him out and he just runs into ,,and sticks, to the Left tackle.. He never got a sniff yesterday ..
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

Really??--Did you focus on him yesterday.. I tried to single him out and he just runs into ,,and sticks, to the Left tackle.. He never got a sniff yesterday ..

There is literally no moves that he has when he comes off the edge, mind you, not hands in the dirt. The issue with Orakpo is that when he has his hand in the dirt, he is able to stay low with a short point of attack and get offensive lineman off balance or speed by them.

When he stands up from the edge, he only relies on his strength to get a good push. That is not his game. His game is strength and leverage. He loses that because he has to stand up.

When Orakpo has that initial punch off the line without a stand up rush, he is lethal. But with him standing up, the offensive lineman has time to adjust to his speed rush and withstand his initial punch.

He is not an OLB that rushes the passer. He is a DE that works better with his hand in the dirt.

If we continue with the 3-4 next year (likely), I can't see how we can sign him to a lucrative deal.

My fear is that he hits free agency, signs with Dallas, and lights us up for a long time.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

There is literally no moves that he has when he comes off the edge, mind you, not hands in the dirt. The issue with Orakpo is that when he has his hand in the dirt, he is able to stay low with a short point of attack and get offensive lineman off balance or speed by them.

When he stands up from the edge, he only relies on his strength to get a good push. That is not his game. His game is strength and leverage. He loses that because he has to stand up.

When Orakpo has that initial punch off the line without a stand up rush, he is lethal. But with him standing up, the offensive lineman has time to adjust to his speed rush and withstand his initial punch.

He is not an OLB that rushes the passer. He is a DE that works better with his hand in the dirt.

If we continue with the 3-4 next year (likely), I can't see how we can sign him to a lucrative deal.

My fear is that he hits free agency, signs with Dallas, and lights us up for a long time.

Totally agree with your post. I see him as a 4-3 D E .. We have a square peg in a round hole.
I too have nightmares re. the Dallas factor.
rizzy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Orakpo for the right deal, the problem is someone IS going to give him Ware money and he simply just isn't worth that.
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one got consistent pressure vs the Chargers yesterday?

They got some. Rivers was being pushed up in the pocket numerous times and had to go through the lanes the OL set up to get passes off.

You guys really need to understand what a Qb pressure is. Both he and The other front 5 got some pressure on Rivers, they just weren't able to get enough, and the only a sack came from Rob Jackson who I think rushed once or twice all game and was fresh when he came in. Not taking anything away from Rob, just saying.

Most of the incompletions were a result of our front 4/5 getting pressure on Rivers and getting him off of his spot, we just weren't able to get the sacks. We did make him uncomfortable though and caused him to miss passes he usually makes.

I think he's back. Every team needs multiple pass rushers, no need to cut Rak loose unless he wants more money than we think he's worth. I don't think he will get top pass rusher $ from anyone, but the next tier down. If both sides can agree to that, I think Rak is back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
I like Orakpo for the right deal, the problem is someone IS going to give him Ware money and he simply just isn't worth that.
Same here. If that happens, I'd let Rak walk and have Rob Jackson and Brandon Jenkins man the position and re-sign Darryl Tapp to back up Kerrigan.
rizzy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
rizzy wrote:
Same here. If that happens, I'd let Rak walk and have Rob Jackson and Brandon Jenkins man the position and re-sign Darryl Tapp to back up Kerrigan.

Yeah I feel like he isn't worth taking the risk for a lot of money when we can use it to get depth along the dline/and lb positions.
NHL-Capitals
LFOX21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys I know I don't post much but your crazy if you get rid of him, if you take him away from the team Kerrigan will struggle, you do not split up one of the top 5 olb combos in the league!

With how athletic Jackson is I would experiment with him at ilb, it all depends on how he covers, we all know he can make big plays, it's worth the experiment

If he succeeds then we have Fletcher's replacement, and what could be the best 3-4 linebacker core in the league with perry playing at a high level
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFOX21 wrote:
Sorry guys I know I don't post much but your crazy if you get rid of him, if you take him away from the team Kerrigan will struggle, you do not split up one of the top 5 olb combos in the league!

With how athletic Jackson is I would experiment with him at ilb, it all depends on how he covers, we all know he can make big plays, it's worth the experiment

If he succeeds then we have Fletcher's replacement, and what could be the best 3-4 linebacker core in the league with perry playing at a high level

Sorry but we finished 7-0 last year without Rak and with Jackson. End of argument

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: