Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So.. the running game.. what was it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealdeal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: So.. the running game.. what was it? Reply with quote

Was it the fact that Stewart was out?

Was it because Schwenke had another game under his belt?

Was it both?

Was it CJ being worried he;ll get some carries taken away?

What do you all think it was?
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye week coaching/another 2 weeks of the o-line gelling/Schwenke having experience all played a factor.

The o-line struggled early last year too, and that was with just a new LG and C. This is a new LG/C/RG. They'll get even better as the year goes on.

(note, not blaming the o-line entirely for the run game struggles this year, CJ obviously had his own problems)

When CJ is confident in his offensive line, there's little that can stop him.
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Schwenke's impact was obvious but CJ and the line just seemed to be on the same page. Line had a general idea of what CJ was looking to do and CJ followed his blockers and took the holes that were open rather than just running to wherever the hole was designed to be.
Titanium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better oline play and crappy run d.
Ockham

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium wrote:
Better oline play and crappy run d.

+1

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better blocking, Shonn Grenne , Bad Rams defense, and better play calling

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears it was some good leadership in the locker room. Hate him or love him CJ made this call. For the record I think it was the addition of Big Nasty Swank Dawg into the starting lineup. Wink

Quote:
Johnson said he went to coach Mike Munchak early in the week and asked if the Titans could go back to what was a tradition early in his career: A coach-less Thursday meeting where the running backs and offensive line discussed their perspectives on plays and gained an increased understanding of each other’s perspective.

Johnson said the Titans had such meetings early in his career. Veteran Kevin Mawae organized and ran them until the team went a different direction at center after the 2009 season.

Munchak gave his blessing to Johnson’s request. Instead of a running backs-only meeting and an O-line-only meeting, the two were combined. Roos ran it and Johnson felt like it was part of the reason for Sunday’s success.

“Our offensive line, they covered those guys up and pushed them back and re-established the line of scrimmage,” Johnson said. “And there were more opportunities, I had 23 carries and Shonn had nine carries.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
titans_5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought since mawae left that the line has never been the same. It was easier to replace him physically in the middle of the line (his skills were diminishing) but we never replaced his leadership. Guys were always on the same page and our oline wasnt flagged that much cause they all seemed to know what they were doing.. Not all this can be accredited to Mawae, but I think a large chunk of credit can be sent his way.

This news of him orchestrating these meetings just reinforces that notion in my head. Also as far as these meetings with the rbs and oline go, i am very curious why this isn't a normal thing. Wouldn't you want both parties to act as a unit in harmony with one another and not two separate units. Hopefully these thursday meetings continue because I cannot see how anything but positives can come from it.
therealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:
I have thought since mawae left that the line has never been the same. It was easier to replace him physically in the middle of the line (his skills were diminishing) but we never replaced his leadership. Guys were always on the same page and our oline wasnt flagged that much cause they all seemed to know what they were doing.. Not all this can be accredited to Mawae, but I think a large chunk of credit can be sent his way.

This news of him orchestrating these meetings just reinforces that notion in my head. Also as far as these meetings with the rbs and oline go, i am very curious why this isn't a normal thing. Wouldn't you want both parties to act as a unit in harmony with one another and not two separate units. Hopefully these thursday meetings continue because I cannot see how anything but positives can come from it.

Could've been one of those small things we all tend to overlook, then when it comes down to it.. wasn't really that small at all
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:

Completely agree. Obviously when looking at this in hindsight, it's easy to draw conclusions, but at times this year it just looked the CJ and the line were running completely different plays. CJ was expecting holes to be one place, while the line was opening up cutback lanes or attempting to seal inside so he could break for the corner.

Yesterday was the first time this year where I though it appeared as though CJ knew what the line was going to give him and he ran to those holes, which is obviously what you need to have for a successful running game.

Schwenke's addition has been huge. He hasn't been amazing, but the fact that we actually have a fifth player on the line capable of getting some push and not being blown back into the rusher is obviously pretty significant.

Can only hope we can continue to build up some momentum against Jacksonville so things will really be rolling when we need them against Indy.
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just shows how much of a joke everyone was that said CJ has just given up.

(I'm looking at more than half of this forum)

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:

Obviously it helps that he had space, but you have to admit that he was hitting holes a lot harder yesterday than he did in the rare occasion they opened up early in the season. Offensive line gets plenty of blame, CJ had his own share of struggle in the first seven games. Most people were blaming both parts of the running game, not just one or the other.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because if CJ gets shut down a couple drives in a row, he usually does get overly frustrated and I dunno if he gives up on the game or if he tries to just do it all himself, but it always fails.

If he gets going early, he's unstoppable at times.
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

Obviously it helps that he had space, but you have to admit that he was hitting holes a lot harder yesterday than he did in the rare occasion they opened up early in the season. Offensive line gets plenty of blame, CJ had his own share of struggle in the first seven games. Most people were blaming both parts of the running game, not just one or the other.

Cj can't run hard if there's no hole. He's not a power back. If there's a hole, he explodes through it, if not, he waits patiently for one to open or cuts back. For a long time now none of that has been able to happen because of the terrible blocking.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
therealdeal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
Mesa_Titan wrote:

Cj can't run hard if there's no hole. He's not a power back. If there's a hole, he explodes through it, if not, he waits patiently for one to open or cuts back. For a long time now none of that has been able to happen because of the terrible blocking.

Yeah........ He hasn't actually been doing that

Sometimes holes are not WIDE holes, but they're still there at times and he needs to hit them and STOP always looking for the cutback.

Every play isn't designed to have a cutback.

Some of those Stretch plays are designed to go to the outside... Some are designed to have a cutback..

Sunday was the first time I've seen him be patient

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: