Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stat Watch: Muhammad Wilkerson Sack Total
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Stat Watch: Muhammad Wilkerson Sack Total Reply with quote

We haven't had a 10 sack season since John Abraham had 10.5 in 2005. Muhammad Wilkerson is in prime position this year to end this double digit sack drought.

Games Played: 9
Sacks: 8
MP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season could end today and I'll come away impressed by the development of Wilkerson. I called him the second best 3-4 end in the offseason and it's amazing how much he has improved this year alone. Hell he even almost had another interception today.

One thing I do know is that he needs to be locked up long term pronto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great player we didn't have tank for (A shot at those who wanted us to lose for early picks.)

Glad that he taking over like this. I give him a lot of credit, but I think Snacks deserve a little. Our front 7 look a lot better with him at NT. Wilk is a difference maker. Teams just can't stop him at this point.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Abe56

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is the most impressive d-lineman we've had since I started following the Jets. And he is only 24.

16 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 6 QB Hits, 2 Stuffs, 2 PD

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching this defense since Rex has been here. Wilk has really helped me stomach the loss of Revis. I was one of the people saying we would benefit from a top 15 pick, I still think that would help us a lot but I would never root against the Jets so long as we have a shot at the playoffs.

I really hope we can get Watkins, Evans, or Lee.
Wilkasaur

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this man a new contract at least 6 years in my opinion.

The dude is a sure-fire pro bowler this year, and is the leader of our D-line full of studs. Loved the little Hawaiian sack celebration today.
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkasaur wrote:
Give this man a new contract at least 6 years in my opinion.

The dude is a sure-fire pro bowler this year, and is the leader of our D-line full of studs. Loved the little Hawaiian sack celebration today.

I agree, I also think he is not the type of player/person to get lazy once he gets a big contract unlike the Albert Haynesworths of the world!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy to think, but when does he start getting serious consideration for DPOTY?

I love Wilk and for Christams, I am going to splurge on an authentic Nike Jersey.....
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be in the discussion for DPOTY, but he won't have the DE/OLB sack numbers to get him there. What will need to happen is he'll need to continue on his sack pace, have a "signature play" that linemen typically don't have(INT for a touchdown or something) and the Jets make the playoffs to really have a good shot.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's been more impressive is that he's registered sacks in 7 of 9 games. He's only going to get better, as is Richardson and Coples.

Not to detract from Wilk, but it's starting to look like Coples is coming into his own in his role. Stats haven't been there, but you can see that he's starting to make an impact (3 hits, 3 hurries, and a huge TFL yesterday). I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a similar impact in the 2nd half - last year he recorded 7 hits and 3.5 sacks in his last 4 games. This season, I want to see him perform like that over the last 7 games.
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the guys ahead of him in the race? Only guys I would consider ahead of him are maybe Mathis and Houston. There are seven guys ahead of him in sacks 5 olbs and 2 4-3 ends. I dont like how most of these guys take advantage of bad matchups on certain teams. Mathis has a 3 sack game and 3 2 sack games. Mario Williams has a 4.5 sack game that inflates his total sacks. Houston has a 3 sack game and a 4.5 sack game. Tamba Hali has a 2 sack game and 2 2.5 sack games. Chandler Jones has 3 2 sack games. RObert Quinn has 2 3 sack games. Suggs is the only consistent one with only one 3 sack game. Even the best OLBers are rarely double teamed because they play on the outside so only a tackle and maybe a halfback can join later. Wilkerson also plays a position that is consistently double teamed any o lineman on him. But he wont get d player of the year for two reasons. One is People are spoiled by JJ Watts ridiciulous season last year and other players who put up flashier numbers. Also WIlkerson plays for the NFLs least popular team.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Huge Wilkerson fan here Reply with quote

He is definitely the new face of the franchise since Revis left. As impressive as Wilkerson has been, and he has been down right unblockable and scary, I am even more impressed with Sheldon Richardson and Damon Harrison at this stage in their careers. Shoot, Coples is starting to pick it up too. Remember, Coples is coming off of a broken ankle. He finally started showing me some burst the past few games, especially yesterday.

We have the making of the best Defensive line in football. AND, we are most certainly the youngest as a unit in the NFL.

Is Wilkerson a Pro Bowler? He was already one last year in my eyes. On a bad team he was not recognized nationally.

I think we have a pair of above average middle linebackers in Demario Davis and David Harris. Quinton Coples. He has the look of a freakish athlete. I think he broken ankle and change to a new position has kind of slowed his development. That being said, I think he will end up being that pass rushing linebacker that we have been searching for all these years.

Our defensive backfield is solid. Defensive back is one of the hardest positions to play in football. If you play good, you do not hear about them. If they play poorly, everyone knows who they are. In Coach Ryan's scheme, he demands that is DB's play man to man. That is tough. But, I believe in our corners. I do honestly believe Dee Milliner will be a stud. I still like Cromartie but I do not feel he is a lock down corner. He is solid. Kyle Wislon and the rest of the guys are decent. But the whole crew will get better.

Remember, we started the year with 7 new starters on defense and our team is ranked in the top 6 in overall Defense. Wait until this team starts to click. Wait until, we are firing on all cylinders.

Go Jets!!!!
green24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Bowler? Wilkerson is a DPOY candidate. Phil Simms thinks so.
walsdrjets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Pro Bowler? Wilkerson is a DPOY candidate. Phil Simms thinks so.

The only analyst giving Wilkerson and the Jets credit has a son on the team.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walsdrjets wrote:
Who are the guys ahead of him in the race? Only guys I would consider ahead of him are maybe Mathis and Houston. There are seven guys ahead of him in sacks 5 olbs and 2 4-3 ends. I dont like how most of these guys take advantage of bad matchups on certain teams. Mathis has a 3 sack game and 3 2 sack games. Mario Williams has a 4.5 sack game that inflates his total sacks. Houston has a 3 sack game and a 4.5 sack game. Tamba Hali has a 2 sack game and 2 2.5 sack games. Chandler Jones has 3 2 sack games. RObert Quinn has 2 3 sack games. Suggs is the only consistent one with only one 3 sack game. Even the best OLBers are rarely double teamed because they play on the outside so only a tackle and maybe a halfback can join later. Wilkerson also plays a position that is consistently double teamed any o lineman on him. But he wont get d player of the year for two reasons. One is People are spoiled by JJ Watts ridiciulous season last year and other players who put up flashier numbers. Also WIlkerson plays for the NFLs least popular team.

You can't really knock guys for "inflated stats" unless it is garbage time and it is a QB, WR, or RB. He is absolutely in the discussion but unless his stats really blow up of he makes an insane play that gets on top 10 then I don't think he will get it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: