Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 ups/ 5 downs vs Chargers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: 5 ups/ 5 downs vs Chargers Reply with quote

5 ups

1. Pierre Garçon: 7 receptions for 172 YDs

2. Alfred Morris: 25 att, 121 YDs, 1 TD

3. David Amerson: 6 tackles, 1 int

4. Redskins Defense: only gave up 17 pts to a team who scores 24 a GM

5. Rg3: 72%, 291 YDs and only one fluky int

5 Downs

1. Getting two field goals blocked

2. Getting 5 passes batted down. One resulted in a int for TD as it was batted in the end zone.

3. The referees. They missed several holds on our defenders. They missed Woodhead's fumble which meant we would have won in regulation.

4. The soft defense in the second half

5. For today, I agree with Mknight82, there was not enough pass rush on Rivers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I have 5 and 5, but definitely one down was the tendency yet again when needing to salt a win, we went away from the run game.
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, one down would be the play of London Fletcher. He has really regressed. Father time has got to him and its clearly evident. We need to address that position in the offseason
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
For me, one down would be the play of London Fletcher. He has really regressed. Father time has got to him and its clearly evident. We need to address that position in the offseason
While I agree he's regressed, he did lead us in tackles again. He had 7 more tackles than the next closest defender (fellow ILB had 6, Fletch had 13). I don't know how he looks so bad (and I admit he doesn't look good) but then he constantly leads in tackles. There is something to be said for him always being in position to make the plays still, even if he doesn't always still make them.

Where are his temmates on the plays where he doesn't make the open field 1 on 1 tackle on a tight end or a running back out if the backfield?

The biggest problem I have with this defense is there is little swarming to the ball by all the defenders. If a defender sees another defender going 1 on 1, it seems they just assume he's going to make the 1 on 1 tackle, instead of hustling over there and gang tackling the offensive player to make sure he doesn't gain more yards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:
While I agree he's regressed, he did lead us in tackles again. He had 7 more tackles than the next closest defender (fellow ILB had 6, Fletch had 13). I don't know how he looks so bad (and I admit he doesn't look good) but then he constantly leads in tackles. There is something to be said for him always being in position to make the plays still, even if he doesn't always still make them.

Where are his temmates on the plays where he doesn't make the open field 1 on 1 tackle on a tight end or a running back out if the backfield?

The biggest problem I have with this defense is there is little swarming to the ball by all the defenders. If a defender sees another defender going 1 on 1, it seems they just assume he's going to make the 1 on 1 tackle, instead of hustling over there and gang tackling the offensive player to make sure he doesn't gain more yards.

I guess I agree. MLBs as a position seem to get a lot of tackles because its their job. He just seems slow and out of it.

What irked me is the laziness of the O line. On more then one occasion, Alf needed a small push from the line to get a first down and they were just standing around while he was fighting for the extra inches. Just didn't look good.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:

I guess I agree. MLBs as a position seem to get a lot of tackles because its their job. He just seems slow and out of it.
well, I mean he is 38 years old. It's like you guys expect him to play like he's 28. He's still the player that seems to care the most on this defense. If everyone else tried as hard as Fletcher, the opposing team wouldn't gain a yard.

As much as I love Rak, Kerrigan and Cofield, they've basically disappeared the last two games. I always defend our front 5 but they didn't give us much pressure today. Everyone knows the ILBs are only as good as the DL infront of them.

I'm more miffed by Riley than Fletcher. Fletcher is old, Riley should be making more plays out there, but it seems London is always in position to make them, not Riley.

Quote:
What irked me is the laziness of the O line. On more then one occasion, Alf needed a small push from the line to get a first down and they were just standing around while he was fighting for the extra inches. Just didn't look good.
Yeah, I agree. Our OL gets little push for our running backs and provides inconsistent pass protection for RG3
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Reed had a great game. Just about every time he got the ball, Skins got a first down.
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:

well, I mean he is 38 years old. It's like you guys expect him to play like he's 28. He's still the player that seems to care the most on this defense. If everyone else tried as hard as Fletcher, the opposing team wouldn't gain a yard.

As much as I love Rak, Kerrigan and Cofield, they've basically disappeared the last two games. I always defend our front 5 but they didn't give us much pressure today. Everyone knows the ILBs are only as good as the DL infront of them.

I'm more miffed by Riley than Fletcher. Fletcher is old, Riley should be making more plays out there, but it seems London is always in position to make them, not Riley.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. Our OL gets little push for our running backs and provides inconsistent pass protection for RG3

I feel like the epitome of try and skill this year has been Hall...

And they've been killing us with short passes. Can't rush much if they get it out in 2 seconds. Also doesn't help when our interior keeps opening up when they can collapse the pocket. :/
bowilson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
I don't know if I have 5 and 5, but definitely one down was the tendency yet again when needing to salt a win, we went away from the run game.
Woz, you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm really starting to feel that the Shanahan's play calling is hurting the team. The run sets up the play action pass and gives RG III more time to read the defenses. I don't know why there are periods in games that we completely abandon the run game totally. Morris was a BEAST yesterday and we should have rode him the entire 2nd half of the game. There are times when I think we are too smart for our own good with our play calling. Just my opinion.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson wrote:
Woz wrote:
Woz, you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm really starting to feel that the Shanahan's play calling is hurting the team. The run sets up the play action pass and gives RG III more time to read the defenses. I don't know why there are periods in games that we completely abandon the run game totally. Morris was a BEAST yesterday and we should have rode him the entire 2nd half of the game. There are times when I think we are too smart for our own good with our play calling. Just my opinion.

I agree. We should not forget we went 1 foot away from another loss. At 2-6 all our comments would have been against our OC. Because all offense players had a good performance, but the play calling was questionable in the 4th quarter.

I do not understand why we give up when we lead.
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chargers defense was suspect to the pass. I think they were 25th in the league, which is why we tended to pass more than run.

But as a team, we cannot get away from what our offense is. Zone run to set up the play action pass.

When the score is 24-14 with 4 minutes to go, you have to run the ball and milk the clock. Which we did not do.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 ups/ 5 downs vs Chargers Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
5 ups

1. Pierre Garçon: 7 receptions for 172 YDs

2. Alfred Morris: 25 att, 121 YDs, 1 TD

3. David Amerson: 6 tackles, 1 int

4. Redskins Defense: only gave up 17 pts to a team who scores 24 a GM

5. Rg3: 72%, 291 YDs and only one fluky int

5 Downs

1. Getting two field goals blocked

2. Getting 5 passes batted down. One resulted in a int for TD as it was batted in the end zone.

3. The referees. They missed several holds on our defenders. They missed Woodhead's fumble which meant we would have won in regulation.

4. The soft defense in the second half

5. For today, I agree with Mknight82, there was not enough pass rush on Rivers

Turtle you hit the nail on the head for me with this list. Let me add two more

2 up

Reed, what a great 3rd round pickup, the kid is clutch.
Defense comes up big at the goal line with game and season on the line.

2 down
RGIII still holds the ball too long and misses wide open receivers.
3 and 3 yards and with a first down we probably ice the game being 10 points up and less than 5 minutes to go. At the very least SD is forced to use their time outs. With us moving the ball at will on the ground. WTF kind of play was that, and what does RGIII thinking throwing the ball away when he probably can buy time and maybe even run for the first?
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle two things, You list Amerson in the up but also could be listed in the DOWN. Beaten badly coupla times for TD and big gains..
You are right on with you're comments re. Riley, JR..What has happened to him.. Never seems to make a play. We know he can't cover but he's not been getting many tackles either..
daboyle250

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Turtle two things, You list Amerson in the up but also could be listed in the DOWN. Beaten badly coupla times for TD and big gains..
You are right on with you're comments re. Riley, JR..What has happened to him.. Never seems to make a play. We know he can't cover but he's not been getting many tackles either..

Why not bring up Fletcher as well? He may be leading in tackles but he looks like he's lost a step and isn't what he once was.

Tracker: 22 catches, 227 yards, 1 TD
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
bowilson wrote:
Woz wrote:

I agree. We should not forget we went 1 foot away from another loss. At 2-6 all our comments would have been against our OC. Because all offense players had a good performance, but the play calling was questionable in the 4th quarter.

I do not understand why we give up when we lead.
If your gonna go "yeah buts" that goal line stand shouldn't have even been necessary because everyone in America (except the Refs) knew Woodhead fumbled on the D Hall hit at the 40 yard line. If the call goes the right way, the game is over and we win easy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: