Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manziel a perfect fit?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnygunnz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Manziel a perfect fit? Reply with quote

So, I mentioned it in the prospects thread the other day and didn't get many comments. But today, there was an article on Philly.com/sports about Johnny Football being a perfect fit for Chip's scheme.

Quote:
"Oh my gosh, he would be the prototype," an NFC general manager told Greg Bedard of Sports Illustrated in September.

It's an interesting read and seemed to address a few questions I was mulling over in my head if they were to draft him. If you wanna read it, the link is below.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20131103_Johnny_Manziel_would_be_a_perfect_fit_for_the_Eagles.html?mr=1&submit=Vote&oid=3&pid=229409911&cid=8500281&229409911=Y#poll_questions_top
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to pretend you didn't make this thread and we can all forget this ever happened.
Johnnygunnz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
I'm just going to pretend you didn't make this thread and we can all forget this ever happened.

Just pointing out an article and trying to stir the pot and get some input. Honestly, I wouldn't love it, but I don't think I would hate it either. Why do scouts love this idea so much?
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NFC GM said that? You mean like our competitor?
That's like the CEO of Samsung commenting on how great it would be if Apple sold half their company to a small yet somehow lucrative "networking" business located in Nigeria.

I don't know about Manziel. He's going to be like any other prospect, could fail or succeed. There is no doubting he can play football... but there are doubts whether he will make a good professional.

I don't understand the media obsession with propagating assumptions with regard to Chip's offense. Probably because the story sells like hot cakes.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we draft Manziel in the first five rounds I'll vomit uncontrollably

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
That's like the CEO of Samsung commenting on how great it would be if Apple sold half their company to a small yet somehow lucrative "networking" business located in Nigeria.

I don't know about Manziel. He's going to be like any other prospect, could fail or succeed. There is no doubting he can play football... but there are doubts whether he will make a good professional.

I don't understand the media obsession with propagating assumptions with regard to Chip's offense. Probably because the story sells like hot cakes.

I think some of the assumptions that are out there do hold weight i.e. a QB who can beat you with his legs will be much more dangerous in the offense (and make the offense more dangerous) than a QB who can't.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Phire wrote:

I think some of the assumptions that are out there do hold weight i.e. a QB who can beat you with his legs will be much more dangerous in the offense (and make the offense more dangerous) than a QB who can't.

True, if he decides to keep it.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Jroc04

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, it's reasonable.

If you can see buy us drafting Barkley in the 4th, given Chip's offense, Johnny in the 2nd or so is completely feasible.

It makes more sense than running the read option with Foles or Barkley in the game, no?

Kilt sig - 808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
Phire wrote:

I don't see why Chip will ditch the read option.

The run game is his bread and butter, it what makes his offense tick. Look at his Oregon teams, they were always run first pass later type of team. Chip has always wanted a QB to run (despite what he says in the press). I believe at New Hampshire their QB (Santos?) ran the ball as much as one of the Oregon QBs did.

Of course, there are plays which look like read option but aren't read option, but having a QB who can scamper off will help make McCoy more dangerous, make our run game tick and that's what will help the passing game.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Phire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Phire wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
Phire wrote:

The run game is his bread and butter, it what makes his offense tick. Look at his Oregon teams, they were always run first pass later type of team. Chip has always wanted a QB to run (despite what he says in the press). I believe at New Hampshire their QB (Santos?) ran the ball as much as one of the Oregon QBs did.

Of course, there are plays which look like read option but aren't read option, but having a QB who can scamper off will help make McCoy more dangerous, make our run game tick and that's what will help the passing game.

I think he clearly wants to run the RO, but I do think that if push comes to shove, he'll adjust the offense to suit the quarterback. We don't know how the draft will turn out, and if the Eagles take a QB and that guy just simply is NOT a runner, then there's no way they could force him to run the RO.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Johnnygunnz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
Phire wrote:
marky_b27 wrote:
Phire wrote:

I think he clearly wants to run the RO, but I do think that if push comes to shove, he'll adjust the offense to suit the quarterback. We don't know how the draft will turn out, and if the Eagles take a QB and that guy just simply is NOT a runner, then there's no way they could force him to run the RO.

True, which again leads me to my original question. Wouldn't Johnny Football be the perfect fit for what Chip has in mind as his ideal offense? I mean the article even says that Manziel was supposed to go to Oregon and play for Chip who tried to recruit him but decided to go to Texas A&M to stay closer to his home. Whether we like it or not, I just think he IS Chip's ideal.

Yes, Chip will adapt to whoever plays QB. He has to be able to or else he isn't suitable to be an NFL coach, but he still has an ideal system and Manziel (like a healthy Vick) seems to fit that system, right?
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where BBIB at, he loves this.

I'd be okay with mid round pick, at max 3rd

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny what a years difference can make. I remember a lot of posters in this forum being all over Johnny Football's jockstrap last year. Like with Barkley it all depends on the cost. If it is in the first two rds I'd pass. Start getting into the 3rd/4th it bare's serious consideration.IMO If he was 6'4 most people wouldn't be hesitant. Despite his premadonna attitude.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who exactly was over his jockstrap.

At least he disproved his arm strength issues, but it goes deeper than that

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: