Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jay Ratliff signs with Bears
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Jay Ratliff signs with Bears Reply with quote

@danwiederer: So DT Jay Ratliff will arrive w Bears on one-year deal w prognosis to be ready to play in 2-4 weeks.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9918283/jay-ratliff-former-dallas-cowboys-defensive-lineman-signs-chicago-bears

Like I said in the one I just deleted, could be a decent signing if he is healthy.
British

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone worried that if he's not ready for 2-4 weeks that he may be back just as the Bears are out of the playoff hunt?

Will the cavalry of Cutler, Ratliff and Briggs only help to knock the Bears down the draft order at the end of the season.

The next two games vs Packers and Lions are vital. Lose those and the season is heading off the rails. Ratliff won't help with those.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay knows the Bears have a LOT of salary cap open next year, and if he thrives in our defense he will likely be resigned. Then next year Melton will still attract the bulk of double teams, so he will have a lot more one on one opportunities. Smart move on both sides.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid move if he is healthy then his agent made out a few weeks ago…I think he is a one year rental but with our depth issues I have no problem with this move at all.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this since it gives us a leg up in resigning him for next season. Good fit.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried about Ratliff missing 2-4weeks because there's a good chance this season ended in Washington. If he plays well wonder if the Bears would consider extending Melton Collins and Ratliff. Can never have enough UT depth. With Melton due for a pay cut because of his knee it's doable budget wise.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
Not worried about Ratliff missing 2-4weeks because there's a good chance this season ended in Washington. If he plays well wonder if the Bears would consider extending Melton Collins and Ratliff. Can never have enough UT depth. With Melton due for a pay cut because of his knee it's doable budget wise.
We better not resign Collins.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

I'd have to agree. I like Collins, but he is not a very good player, he is purely a depth player, and is now a depth player coming off a torn ACL. I would keep him on my emergency list, no doubt, but there are many more players who may prove have higher ceilings for low prices.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

I'd have to agree. I like Collins, but he is not a very good player, he is purely a depth player, and is now a depth player coming off a torn ACL. I would keep him on my emergency list, no doubt, but there are many more players who may prove have higher ceilings for low prices.

You wouldn't bring back Collins at vet min? Can't imagine he would command more than the minimum with the injury. Besides a team can never have too much functional depth which Collins provides. But I do agree if Collins wants a dime more than the minimum let him walk.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

You wouldn't bring back Collins at vet min? Can't imagine he would command more than the minimum with the injury. Besides a team can never have too much functional depth which Collins provides. But I do agree if Collins wants a dime more than the minimum let him walk.
Collins isnt worth a roster spot. He's a situational pass rusher who isnt that good at rushing the passer. He's horrible against the run. I'd rather move a DE inside ala the nascar package and get a real DT that can play the run.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

Collins isnt worth a roster spot. He's a situational pass rusher who isnt that good at rushing the passer. He's horrible against the run. I'd rather move a DE inside ala the nascar package and get a real DT that can play the run.

Even if the Bears resign Ratliff and Melton, Collins is worth roster spot going into next season at vet min. Assuming Peppers gets cut and Shea get stood up cant imagine the Bears would have a DE to spare to play DT. Somebody besides Wotten has to play DE on all three downs. Its not an automatic that Pep and Shea get moved but it seems likely all things considered.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

Even if the Bears resign Ratliff and Melton, Collins is worth roster spot going into next season at vet min. Assuming Peppers gets cut and Shea get stood up cant imagine the Bears would have a DE to spare to play DT. Somebody besides Wotten has to play DE on all three downs. Its not an automatic that Pep and Shea get moved but it seems likely all things considered.
I dont think Collins is worth a roster spot. He's one of if not the worst player on our team.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

He could be worth the vet min, but his ceiling is very low and our defense absolutely depends on the DL. That is a poor situation to just throw a poor player in, and is a part of why our DL was such a mess after just Melton went down. I would like to add a player with a contract near the minimum that might have a higher ceiling. Then even if they fail we could still fall back on Collins. My other issue with throwing him a roster spot is that he is ONLY an UT, he just can't be put at NT without being a big liability. That means he would be at best the 4th best person we could plug in at just the UT we have just his year before signing Ratliff (Melton, Paea, Wooton, then Collins). Now with Ratliff he is 5th, and I think we could get more production out of Minter than him next year, as Minter will be more NFL ready, and we might get a boost out of Cohen that may be more than we could get from Collins. I would feel much better about trying to lure Izzy back with a 1 year $1 mil deal than rely on Collins, then we have a solid backup DE and UT.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DaMike wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

He could be worth the vet min, but his ceiling is very low and our defense absolutely depends on the DL. That is a poor situation to just throw a poor player in, and is a part of why our DL was such a mess after just Melton went down. I would like to add a player with a contract near the minimum that might have a higher ceiling. Then even if they fail we could still fall back on Collins. My other issue with throwing him a roster spot is that he is ONLY an UT, he just can't be put at NT without being a big liability. That means he would be at best the 4th best person we could plug in at just the UT we have just his year before signing Ratliff (Melton, Paea, Wooton, then Collins). Now with Ratliff he is 5th, and I think we could get more production out of Minter than him next year, as Minter will be more NFL ready, and we might get a boost out of Cohen that may be more than we could get from Collins. I would feel much better about trying to lure Izzy back with a 1 year $1 mil deal than rely on Collins, then we have a solid backup DE and UT.

Haven't watched many Lions games this year but it seems unlikely Izzy would help next years line judging from his stats. Only 3 tackles with no sacks or forced fumbles. On pace for a six tackle season with no sacks. Bears may have let him go at the exact right moment like Kreutz. Looks like Izzy got old in one off season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: