Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Landry died a Giants fan

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 15737
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Tom Landry died a Giants fan Reply with quote

http://nypost.com/2013/10/31/why-tom-landry-died-a-giants-fan/

I wasn't around during those days, but it's very interesting that arguably the greatest HC in Cowboys history died a Giants fans.

Quote:
Alicia Landry claims that, shortly after the coach was dismissed, Jones confiscated the luxury suite the Landry family had been given free by Murchison when Texas Stadium was constructed in 1971.

Shortly afterward, the book says, Landry’s eldest son was informed he would no longer be able to buy the six season tickets at the 50-yard line that he had purchased every year the stadium was open.


Stay classy, Jerruh. Rolling Eyes
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13531
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this story reminds me of this...






_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 4008
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that the dismissal of Coach Landry was handled badly but never realized the extent how bad he, and his family was treated.

It will be interesting to see what, if any response this story gets from the Cowboys.

Ouch.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
textaz03


Moderator
Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 11345
Location: Land of the Jersey Devil!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your out enjoying a game of golf and you get a phone call from Jerry Jones and yells you over the phone that he is fired, I would be pissed as well! Jerry couldn't even give him the satisfaction of a face to face meet for all Landry did for this team!

I would never forgive Jerry for that!
_________________




"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24700
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. This really isn't surprising, though. He played for the Giants. He started his Pro-Coaching Career with the Giants. None of it takes away what he did for Dallas.

Brian Dawkins was (is) a Cowboys fan. Doesn't mean he isn't an Icon for Philly, though.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37972
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this a few days ago. I didn't post it cause it pisses me off to bad. I hate that Jerry did this to him. The cowboys lost a lot of fans for the way Landry was fired.


but it should be noted that Landry started a Giant, and his family and the Maras have always been close, from what I understand.
_________________

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 10034
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 on the list of reasons I dislike Jerry Jones. Absolutely the biggest, chicken spit way of telling Landry he was fired. This is one thing I will never forgive Jones for.
_________________

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TheGame316


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 827
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front page of the Dallas Morning news that day says different

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2004/feb25football/landry.html

You guys in here, just ridiculous.... worse than a sewing club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
retrolock


Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Posts: 623
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
Front page of the Dallas Morning news that day says different

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2004/feb25football/landry.html

You guys in here, just ridiculous.... worse than a sewing club


I thought Jerry cold-heartedly fired Landry? According to that article Jerry was praising him all the way and offered him a position in the Cowboys organization, not just the coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PincheJimmy


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 1384
Location: Flower Mound, TX
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
I realized that the dismissal of Coach Landry was handled badly but never realized the extent how bad he, and his family was treated.

It will be interesting to see what, if any response this story gets from the Cowboys.

Ouch.


Did you click the link? 2nd thoughts ? How would you h e handled it ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20678
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he died a Giants fan. So what? Does that somehow tarnish or diminish his accomplishments as our head coach? I fail to see why this matters.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PincheJimmy


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 1384
Location: Flower Mound, TX
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Landry died a Giants fan Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
http://nypost.com/2013/10/31/why-tom-landry-died-a-giants-fan/

I wasn't around during those days, but it's very interesting that arguably the greatest HC in Cowboys history died a Giants fans.

Quote:
Alicia Landry claims that, shortly after the coach was dismissed, Jones confiscated the luxury suite the Landry family had been given free by Murchison when Texas Stadium was constructed in 1971.

Shortly afterward, the book says, Landry’s eldest son was informed he would no longer be able to buy the six season tickets at the 50-yard line that he had purchased every year the stadium was open.


Stay classy, Jerruh. Rolling Eyes


Clk the link and read the story, then feel free to reply Smile

Stay classy GMen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group