Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KC @ Denver Week 11 Flexed to SNF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:
KC's 9 offensive points just terrifies me...

Man, I really want to discuss with a Chiefs fan how they will beat Denver. Its so difficult because they cant critique their team. They think that 9-0 means they will win.

As a chiefs fan I completley disagree with this. Every chiefs fan I have talked to/seen on these boards have been very candid in discussing our weaknesses. Our offense has been very bad at moving the ball and scoring points this year (though they don't turn it over much) The QB is limited physcically, but has the mental side of the position down. The defense is elite, and is on pace for being great not just this year, but historically. But in this era it is tough when you don't have an elite offense.

I have no problem admitting that Denver is the overall better team right now - It is a quarterback driven league, you guys have the best QB in league history, we have a mediocre QB this year. This chiefs team is not the best 9-0 team ever or anything close, but it is the toughest 9-0 team I have ever seen. Should be fun watching the 2 games this year, and exciting that both will likley be in the playoffs as well.
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

Man, I really want to discuss with a Chiefs fan how they will beat Denver. Its so difficult because they cant critique their team. They think that 9-0 means they will win.

As a chiefs fan I completley disagree with this. Every chiefs fan I have talked to/seen on these boards have been very candid in discussing our weaknesses. Our offense has been very bad at moving the ball and scoring points this year (though they don't turn it over much) The QB is limited physcically, but has the mental side of the position down. The defense is elite, and is on pace for being great not just this year, but historically. But in this era it is tough when you don't have an elite offense.

I have no problem admitting that Denver is the overall better team right now - It is a quarterback driven league, you guys have the best QB in league history, we have a mediocre QB this year. This chiefs team is not the best 9-0 team ever or anything close, but it is the toughest 9-0 team I have ever seen. Should be fun watching the 2 games this year, and exciting that both will likley be in the playoffs as well.
I would hesitate to call your defense elite. They did give up well over 200 yards rushing last week. That being said, I think this is the best Chief defense in over ten years. Hali, Houston, Johnson, and Berry are all four arguably top three at their respective positions.

The one concern I would have as a Chiefs fan is covering the inside recievers Welker and J Thomas. Flowers and Smith will more than hold their own against Decker and Thomas, but the Broncos have a real advantage otherwise. The Chiefs will need to get to Manning quickly to really slow the Broncos down. If the Chiefs do get to Manning early the Broncos will need a good run game to set up play action that actaully has some effectiveness.

The other side could be interesting. The Broncos defense is starting to come on and the Chiefs really haven't shown much. The runs, the screens and play action have all been pretty vanilla thus far. It will be interesting to see what happens if the Chiefs find themselves down by a couple scores. Can Smith open it up a little bit? It will also be important for the Broncos defense to be patient and not fall vitim to the screens and draws.
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

I would hesitate to call your defense elite. They did give up well over 200 yards rushing last week. That being said, I think this is the best Chief defense in over ten years. Hali, Houston, Johnson, and Berry are all four arguably top three at their respective positions.

The one concern I would have as a Chiefs fan is covering the inside recievers Welker and J Thomas. Flowers and Smith will more than hold their own against Decker and Thomas, but the Broncos have a real advantage otherwise. The Chiefs will need to get to Manning quickly to really slow the Broncos down. If the Chiefs do get to Manning early the Broncos will need a good run game to set up play action that actaully has some effectiveness.

The other side could be interesting. The Broncos defense is starting to come on and the Chiefs really haven't shown much. The runs, the screens and play action have all been pretty vanilla thus far. It will be interesting to see what happens if the Chiefs find themselves down by a couple scores. Can Smith open it up a little bit? It will also be important for the Broncos defense to be patient and not fall vitim to the screens and draws.

Sure they gave up big YARDS last week. That was by far their WORST defenive performance of the season....What about the other 8 though? don't they count too? And most importantly, they only allowed 13 points last week. But how can you not say they are elite atm? They have done something no team has done since the 1977 Atlanta Falrons- hold 9 straight teams to 17 or less points....i mean...what is more elite than that? Regardless of who they played. BTW Keenum and Campbell are better than Schaub and Weeden...

Now all that being said, Denver Could hang 40 on them. Their offense is that good. not only that the rules favor offense. So an offense like Denvers is almost impossible to stop. But that still does not change the fact that the chiefs defense is elite, and doing something in this era with these rules that has not been done since 77. and the majority of those years from 1977 up until now were played where the rules helped the defense much much more than the current rules do. That is what makes it so impressive. If this chiefs defense played in the late 90s or early 2000s with those rules......wow.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

Sure they gave up big YARDS last week. That was by far their WORST defenive performance of the season....What about the other 8 though? don't they count too? And most importantly, they only allowed 13 points last week. But how can you not say they are elite atm? They have done something no team has done since the 1977 Atlanta Falrons- hold 9 straight teams to 17 or less points....i mean...what is more elite than that? Regardless of who they played. BTW Keenum and Campbell are better than Schaub and Weeden...

Now all that being said, Denver Could hang 40 on them. Their offense is that good. not only that the rules favor offense. So an offense like Denvers is almost impossible to stop. But that still does not change the fact that the chiefs defense is elite, and doing something in this era with these rules that has not been done since 77. and the majority of those years from 1977 up until now were played where the rules helped the defense much much more than the current rules do. That is what makes it so impressive. If this chiefs defense played in the late 90s or early 2000s with those rules......wow.
The Chiefs have done this against less than stellar offenses.

There are only two teams that they have faced that average more than the 23.1 point NFL average thus far. Dallas and Philly score 28.6 and 25.0 respectively. Five of your opponents thus far are averaging less than 20 points a game.

A good defense? yes, but 9 games does not make a season. What will be interesting is to see how the Chiefs handle the rest of their schedule, when they face these teams

2x Broncos 42.9 ppg
2x Chargers 24.0 ppg
Colts 26.8 ppg
Redskins 25.4 ppg
Raiders 18.3 ppg

First nine opponents average ppg 19.9
Last seven opponents average ppg 29.2

Lets's see how this plays out.
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

There are only two teams that they have faced that average more than the 23.1 point NFL average thus far. Dallas and Philly score 28.6 and 25.0 respectively. Five of your opponents thus far are averaging less than 20 points a game.

A good defense? yes, but 9 games does not make a season. What will be interesting is to see how the Chiefs handle the rest of their schedule, when they face these teams

2x Broncos 42.9 ppg
2x Chargers 24.0 ppg
Colts 26.8 ppg
Redskins 25.4 ppg
Raiders 18.3 ppg

Agreed on the schedule. But they have done something that hasn't happened since 1977. There is a reason that it hasn't happened since then, and cannot just be explained away by saying its all the schedule. This is the nfl, everyone is good in this league. There is a reason it hasn't been done 9 straight games since 1977. I believe I am being fair, as I said the offense is a MAJOR weakness.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

2x Broncos 42.9 ppg
2x Chargers 24.0 ppg
Colts 26.8 ppg
Redskins 25.4 ppg
Raiders 18.3 ppg

Agreed on the schedule. But they have done something that hasn't happened since 1977. There is a reason that it hasn't happened since then, and cannot just be explained away by saying its all the schedule. This is the nfl, everyone is good in this league. There is a reason it hasn't been done 9 straight games since 1977. I believe I am being fair, as I said the offense is a MAJOR weakness.
NO I agree that defense has been impressive. Hali and Houston on the outside with Johnson and Poe in the middle is about as fair as Welker, Thomas, Decker, and Manning

I just wanted to point out that the sledding gets much tougher from here. That goes for both teams. I would say good luck to you, but I can't.

Can't wait!!!!!!
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
kylecumberland wrote:
KC_Broncos_Fan wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

Flowers won't be outside.. he'll be in the slot on Welker. A combination of Berry, DJ, and other safties not named Kendrick Lewis will be tasked with dealing with JT. Marcus Cooper will be LCB and Sean Smith will be the RCB primarily (we play sides rather than follow).

The key defensively against the Broncos will be our press man coverage. The idea being.. PFM is just all world in pre-snap reads and putting the offense into plays that exploit the coverages he's seeing. Most teams don't play press man so much like we can and will in this coming game. What the press man coverage does is take away the ability to decide pre-snap who will be open. So many times PFM dissects a defense and exploits holes in coverage but in press man.. he has to wait post snap to see who "won" their matchup.

The Broncos receivers are certainly capable of winning their fair share of these matchups. We know that going in. We know that PFM and the Broncos will make some plays.. it's going to happen.

The other side of it though is this post snap diagnosis adds time to PFM in the pocket. He has to read who won their route. The ball isn't out as quickly as it it when he's shredding zone coverages. He's just too damn smart for zone coverage defenses. Too smart! These extra seconds.. even just 1 second each snap.. that gives the pass rush more time to get to him.. to hit him.. to rattle him.. to pressure him.. and to hopefully sack him or get the ball thrown off rhythm (disrupt the route timing).

Manning, like all QB's.. does not like being hit. That's the goal simply stated.. to hit PFM! This is what the Colts did to positive affect.

The problem thus far for this Chiefs team vs the Broncos is that on offense.. the Chiefs have yet to have a great game. They've had drives in games or even full halves of games where they've been clicking.. but thus far overall that offense has yet to hit it's stride.

I do think the Denver D is better than the numbers overall have shown. Not the best D we will face this year, but a dangerous opportunistic defense for sure. The Chiefs don't need to stretch the ball more than they have like some might think or say. They simply need to execute... especially up front.

Last week against Buffalo they were a lot closer to playing well than the numbers showed. Lack of execution in some instances and a stout Buffalo front 7 in others really flipped the script.

That will be the most important improvement coming off the bye week. To execute on offense better. Should be a really fun game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: