Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roethlisberger being hit at record pace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been strapped with the cap for 4 -5 years....since they paid Debo, then Potsie, then Troy and Timmons.

I was surprised at all those signings really.

I believe LSH was a very good signing. Mewelde was a good signing in the initial round.

Andy Levitre got 6 yr 46.8 million

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
We've been strapped with the cap for 4 -5 years....since they paid Debo, then Potsie, then Troy and Timmons.

I believe LSH was a very good signing. Mewelde was a good signing in the initial round.

I understand that.

A part of that, however, is because of bad contracts. They are so set on resigning their own...whether they deserve it or not.

You were surprised by those contracts? Not sure why considering they were all key players with nothing to replace them with. Potsie was the only one that surprised me at all. I was also a bit surprised with how much they gave Timmons, but not that they signed him.

LSH was a nice signing. He is merely a role player though. I dont think he wouldve had any major impact, but I think he wouldve helped in certain situations.

And Levitre...yes, he was overpaid. I never expected him to make that much. I was just naming the players I was suggesting this past offseason.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

I understand that.

A part of that, however, is because of bad contracts. They are so set on resigning their own...whether they deserve it or not.

You were surprised by those contracts? Not sure why considering they were all key players with nothing to replace them with. Potsie was the only one that surprised me at all. I was also a bit surprised with how much they gave Timmons, but not that they signed him.

LSH was a nice signing. He is merely a role player though. I dont think he wouldve had any major impact, but I think he wouldve helped in certain situations.

And Levitre...yes, he was overpaid. I never expected him to make that much. I was just naming the players I was suggesting this past offseason.

Levitre was the person that came to mind when you mentioned Hartings, Ellerbe was the person that came to mind when you mentioned Farrior.

I really think LSH could've provided more than that for this offense, a significant role player at the very least a dynamic one that could open up this offense and loosen up the concentration at the LOS.

Would've been good to keep Lewis within reason but I don't think he or Wallace wanted to be here and I've always figured he was a big factor in the locker room leaks/issues.

I was surprised to a degree because of the franchise's previous practices in the mid 90's, the reputation was not to pay. I didn't expect it to be the same but I didn't expect them to hand over the checkbook for 5 year contracts for a bunch of 30+ year old players which seemed more like rewards for the past. Wood and Timmons make sense for the age but not exactly cheap contracts. The transition should've started at that point, instead we signed everybody. I do like how they have approached the Clark situation by not over signing him and I loved how they handled Wallace which as you recall was my hope all along. I think they are starting to do things right, it just took them too long to realize it. To me too many fans just want a winning season, blah, blah. Its like an economy or a business that shows profits for one year because of some extravagant promotion, such as lowering the mortgage rate extremely and loosening up the regulations and saying "see we have a strong business" when in reality that house looks pretty wobbly resting on those toothpicks. Thats how Ive seen this team since those contracts really, I had immediate concerns but reluctantly drank the Kool Aid but with an immediate sourness in my stomach.

Anyway blah, blah, blah I gotta run, Physics class... Have a good one. We'll figure it out....!!

...you have a forum resume?
The Curtain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'll give Ben, for playing behind so many bad lines and being so consistent with making dumb media comments - He has never thrown his line under the bus. Always refers to them as great players, a great line, etc..

Ben's getting murdered this year. He has no time to do anything. Out of every terrible line we've put out since Ben was drafted, this one looks like the worst to me.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
They are so set on resigning their own...whether they deserve it or not.

and that's why Pouncey will be the highest paid center in the NFL next season (and one of the most overpaid players in the NFL)

FourThreeMafia wrote:

I was shocked that they paid Timmons that much. Then there's Willie Colon and Kemo. They also surprised me with how much they paid Antonio Brown.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
They are so set on resigning their own...whether they deserve it or not.

and that's why Pouncey will be the highest paid center in the NFL next season (and one of the most overpaid players in the NFL)

FourThreeMafia wrote:

I was shocked that they paid Timmons that much. Then there's Willie Colon and Kemo. They also surprised me with how much they paid Antonio Brown.

Thats what I fear with Pouncey as well.

Colon and Kemo...obviously. We were speaking of mainly good, but aging players though.

And the Antonio Brown deal wasnt bad IMO. The guaranteed money isnt bad, and IMO, he is living up to the deal he got. Mike Wallace got more guaranteed and overall and is playing about half as well as Brown, so cant be too upset about that one.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
And the Antonio Brown deal wasnt bad IMO. The guaranteed money isnt bad, and IMO, he is living up to the deal he got. Mike Wallace got more guaranteed and overall and is playing about half as well as Brown, so cant be too upset about that one.

Truth!!! Despite having Wallace in my Dynasty league its good to see we made the right move! Has any Steelers WR we let walk done much? Plax was for a while but shot himself in the leg. Smile

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree there is a failure on the FO's part when they bring bums in.

But, when said bums are even worse then anticipated the failure is two fold. Player and FO. Scott and Mahan were failures in their own right.

That said, I again agree that this FO needs to understand that in the modern salary cap era FA plays an important role in plugging the hole in the dike. Thing is they try to plug boulder sized holes with pebbles...at least bring in the occasional average rock and see what happens.

They also need to adapt and understand how valuable and important it is to teams to get maximum production out of their C1 players. The practice of grooming a player for 3 years before they get starter volume snaps just doesn't work any longer.

The equation is pay the core players, get C1 production, and fill in the middle with inexpensive C2s and FA's. Recently the only variable this FO has been successful at is paying people, many of whom have been misidentified as core players.

A lot in there that I agree with Treat. I don't know what is happening behind closed doors, but we are failing at getting quality production out of a lot of our players' 1st contracts; we also extended or signed too many 3rd contract players and marginal players. It is a systemic failure and will take ginormous efforts, and some time to fix. I don't know if the defensive scheme we have lends itself for 1st year starters, or super production from first pro contracts. But, I don't know if FA would matter there or not, or if it would be better hit the FA market on offense.

On offense, I don't know what kind of clusterflub is occurring behind closed doors, but they are certainly doing all sorts of things wrong. If you can not block, you won't have any sort of offense no matter what you attempt to do, or it will just rely on luck and will not be sustainable. I suppose if we sign Pouncey to a ridiculous contract in lieu of addressing the LT position or resigning Velasco we will be talking about Ben getting destroyed and a struggling running game again this time next season. I'll be right there with everybody else throwing things at that point.

Thanks Lyasr 529
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Roethlisberger being hit at record pace Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:
Well, Arians is long gone but the sacks of Roethlisberger are up. He has been sacked 26 times in 2013, fourth most in the NFL and on pace for a career-high 59. If he plays all 16 games, that is.

“It’s frustrating,” said Marcus Gilbert, who has started every game at right tackle and continues to improve his grade there. “Coaches aren’t pleased with that. I know he’s not. I wouldn’t be, either. We have to take pride in that and get better.”

“He’s the toughest quarterback in the league but after a while, obviously you get sick of that,” Gilbert said of seeing his quarterback knocked down so often. “Any of us would. He’s trying to get the job done and he feels pressure every time or gets hit with shots to the leg or to the head. We have to take more pride in it. Whether it’s change up the scheme or just get better with the line — and the injuries aren’t helping.”

Asked how he feels physically after getting hit more often than at any time in his career, Roethlisberger laughed.

“I am all right so far. As long as we slow it down soon,” he said.

His teammates, though, see on Mondays the damage done each game.

“It stinks to see him come in the next day limping around, barely walking,” Gilbert said. “You got to be better, you have to take pride in that.
"

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/11/01/Big-Ben-taking-hits-at-record-pace/stories/201311010089

What a crybaby Ben is...I mean, so what if he can barely walk Mondays because his OL sucks, and he gets hit every play? I mean, he should be lighting it up. Keep his mouth shut and do as told...NEVER question Haley in public!

I fail to see how your bolded comments from his offensive lineman stating how bad they're playing is apparently Big Ben being a big baby... Eh?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Roethlisberger being hit at record pace Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:
Well, Arians is long gone but the sacks of Roethlisberger are up. He has been sacked 26 times in 2013, fourth most in the NFL and on pace for a career-high 59. If he plays all 16 games, that is.

“It’s frustrating,” said Marcus Gilbert, who has started every game at right tackle and continues to improve his grade there. “Coaches aren’t pleased with that. I know he’s not. I wouldn’t be, either. We have to take pride in that and get better.”

“He’s the toughest quarterback in the league but after a while, obviously you get sick of that,” Gilbert said of seeing his quarterback knocked down so often. “Any of us would. He’s trying to get the job done and he feels pressure every time or gets hit with shots to the leg or to the head. We have to take more pride in it. Whether it’s change up the scheme or just get better with the line — and the injuries aren’t helping.”

Asked how he feels physically after getting hit more often than at any time in his career, Roethlisberger laughed.

“It stinks to see him come in the next day limping around, barely walking,” Gilbert said. “You got to be better, you have to take pride in that.
"

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/11/01/Big-Ben-taking-hits-at-record-pace/stories/201311010089

What a crybaby Ben is...I mean, so what if he can barely walk Mondays because his OL sucks, and he gets hit every play? I mean, he should be lighting it up. Keep his mouth shut and do as told...NEVER question Haley in public!

I fail to see how your bolded comments from his offensive lineman stating how bad they're playing is apparently Big Ben being a big baby... Eh?

I'm not sure how he couldve possibly made that any more sarcastic.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
You don't say?

LT with the top 10 pick - lock it up!

The only LT Id definitely want in the top 10 is Matthews.

Lewan is good, but depends how he finishes his year. He has his issues.

Wouldnt touch any other LT in the top 20. David Yankey might get up there.
Matthews is who I was thinking of, and if the Steelers miss on him, Lewan should be the pick if they pick around 10th.

If they're both gone. The Steelers will probably take one of the top WRs - Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins.

Or FS Haha Clinton-Dix

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Roethlisberger being hit at record pace Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

"

How was I supposed to tell? Have you not seen half the insane posts around here lately?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Roethlisberger being hit at record pace Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

"

How was I supposed to tell? Have you not seen half the insane posts around here lately?

Well, I guess you get a pass since you may not have seen this, but he is clearly mocking a certain Ben basher...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=534026
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Roethlisberger being hit at record pace Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

"

Well, I guess you get a pass since you may not have seen this, but he is clearly mocking a certain Ben basher...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=534026

yeah, I picked up on that one immediately. I still can't help but laugh at that guy
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they can restructure and get the older largest paid players to take pay cuts to stay so that they can sign two good free agents.

I'd really like to see the Steelers sign Brandon Albert and Jarius Byrd.

They have to make room by extending Ben, Timmons and Woodley and then asking Troy and Ike to take pay cuts to stay.

If they can get that accomplished, I think they're a definite playoff team and possibly a Super Bowl contender next year.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: