Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sally Jenkins has a read on the BoyWonder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Sally Jenkins has a read on the BoyWonder Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-isnt-getting-better-does-he-realize-he-needs-to/2013/10/31/efa75766-4233-11e3-a751-f032898f2dbc_story.html

Capital P PrimaDonna
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and you were singing his praises last year and will be this year or next year when he leads us to our second division title in the past 14 years.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Yeah, and you were singing his praises last year and will be this year or next year when he leads us to our second division title in the past 14 years.

I hope you're right ! \
I don't remember being overly evocative last year ,,but maybe I did get excited. He's great when he runs,,but right now as a dropback passer .. He's pretty bad.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right ! \
I don't remember being overly evocative last year ,,but maybe I did get excited. He's great when he runs,,but right now as a dropback passer .. He's pretty bad.
he's average. His performance and production are average as a drop back passer w/o the read option going full blast.

That being said, he's getting better and better. It's not all his fault, OL has to play better, wrs have to play better also.

You seem to forget he's coming off a torn LCL and repaired ACL, which he spent all offseason rehabbing Instead of working on the drop back passing game with his receivers.

He's rusty and they're out of sync. I think they're going to have a good second half if they run the ball first to open up the passing game.

We had last weeks game won if we run out the clock with RG3 in the read option, Morris & Helu. Then passing with play action and boot legs when we need to off of the run action.

I have no clue why Kyle abandons what gets him leads in the second halves. He's been doing it since 2010 as our OC. He did it last year in our playoff game vs Seattle also.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right ! \

Of course he's average, it hasn't even been a year yet since he destroyed his knee for the second time. He missed all of the pre-season, our OL and WR are awful.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right ! \

Of course he's average, it hasn't even been a year yet since he destroyed his knee for the second time. He missed all of the pre-season, our OL and WR are awful.
... Sounds like 2009 all over

Except I'd say we have an adequate WR core. The best we've had since 1993. None of them are in sync though, the WR core is far from awful.

Rg3 has been sailing balls on them, throwing it behind them and flat out missing them when they're open since the Philly game. He missed a few Tds to wide open wrs vs the bears and the same last week and he threw it behind Morgan on a big gainer.

lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right ! \

Except I'd say we have an adequate WR core. The best we've had since 1993. None of them are in sync though, the WR core is far from awful.

Rg3 has been sailing balls on them, throwing it behind them and flat out missing them when they're open since the Philly game. He missed a few Tds to wide open wrs vs the bears and the same last week and he threw it behind Morgan on a big gainer.

How is it "far from awful"? Morgan is slow and rarely makes plays. Santana has been dropping everything and his age means he has no upside whatsoever. Hankerson stands and waits for the ball to get to him, he's slow and plodding, rarely makes plays. Robinson cannot catch and he's a receiver so that tends to be a bit of a problem. Garçon is an animal and the only nfl quality receiver on the roster. The receiving core is horrible, one of the worst in the NFL.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right ! \

How is it "far from awful"? Morgan is slow and rarely makes plays. Santana has been dropping everything and his age means he has no upside whatsoever. Hankerson stands and waits for the ball to get to him, he's slow and plodding, rarely makes plays. Robinson cannot catch and he's a receiver so that tends to be a bit of a problem. Garçon is an animal and the only nfl quality receiver on the roster. The receiving core is horrible, one of the worst in the NFL.
No. When Moss was our #1, Galloway was #2, Armstrong was #3, Roydell Williams was #4 and Terrance Austin was #5 - that was the worst WR core in the NFL!

And we expected Donovan Mcanbb to come in and make that WR core good and take us to the playoffs?

We have a #1 WR who's going to be the first Redskins WR to go over 100 receptions since Art Monk 29 years ago.

Our rookie TE is also having a pro bowl type year also, and is on pace for 80 recs, 950 YDs and 5 Tds.

We have #2, 3 WR's are going to be close to, and could go over 50 recs and 500 YDs. Our #2 WR is on pace for 7 Tds.

To have those kind of receptions spread around for wide receivers in a primarily a run offense, is pretty good.

I've actually been thinking of breaking down our "receivers" this way:

1. Garçon - 107 recs, 1200 YDs, 6 Tds
2. Reed - 80 recs, 950 YDs, 5 Tds
3. Hankerson- 45 recs, 600 YDs, 7 Tds
4. Moss- 45 recs, 575 YDs, 3 Tds
5. Morgan- 25 recs, 300 YDs
6. Robinson- 15 recs, 200 YDs, 3 Tds

Add in Roy Helu and Logan Paulsen and you have another 45 recs, 575 YDs and you have these stats from Rg3: 4400 YDs, 24 Tds

See. Now when you break it down like that, it looks pretty solid. Our TE is really our #2 WR, it's similar to Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis being two of the top targets on their offenses.

tyler735

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right ! \

No. When Moss was our #1, Galloway was #2, Armstrong was #3, Roydell Williams was #4 and Terrance Austin was #5 - that was the worst WR core in the NFL!

And we expected Donovan Mcanbb to come in and make that WR core good and take us to the playoffs?

We have a #1 WR who's going to be the first Redskins WR to go over 100 receptions since Art Monk 29 years ago.

Our rookie TE is also having a pro bowl type year also, and is on pace for 80 recs, 950 YDs and 5 Tds.

We have #2, 3 WR's are going to be close to, and could go over 50 recs and 500 YDs. Our #2 WR is on pace for 7 Tds.

To have those kind of receptions spread around for wide receivers in a primarily a run offense, is pretty good.

I've actually been thinking of breaking down our "receivers" this way:

1. Garçon - 107 recs, 1200 YDs, 6 Tds
2. Reed - 80 recs, 950 YDs, 5 Tds
3. Hankerson- 45 recs, 600 YDs, 7 Tds
4. Moss- 45 recs, 575 YDs, 3 Tds
5. Morgan- 25 recs, 300 YDs
6. Robinson- 15 recs, 200 YDs, 3 Tds

Add in Roy Helu and Logan Paulsen and you have another 45 recs, 575 YDs and you have these stats from Rg3: 4400 YDs, 24 Tds

See. Now when you break it down like that, it looks pretty solid. Our TE is really our #2 WR, it's similar to Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis being two of the top targets on their offenses.

These are the real numbers for their current projections, yours are all higher than they really are currently:
Garcon- 107 rec, 1170yds, 5 tds
Reed- 78 rec, 887yds, 5tds
Hankerson- 43 rec, 580yds, 7 tds
Moss- 43 rec, 535 yards, 2 tds
Morgan- 25 rec, 283 yards, 0 tds
Robinson- 7 rec, 201 yards, 2 tds

These stats are slightly inflated due to the number of garbage time yards we had in the first couple games vs Eagles/Packers. We also likely won't be passing quite as much as we have to start the year, so I'd be shocked if we finish out the year like this.

I think we more than likely see Garcon finishing with about 1000-1050 yards 6-7tds, Reed about 850-900 yards 6-7tds, Hankerson about 500 yards 5-6 tds, Moss about 450 yards 4tds, Morgan about 250 yards 1 td, Robinson about 250 yards 2 tds.

It's the play on the field that has been problematic. The stats don't tell the whole story here.

Lavar703 also sees that:

Garcon=Beast
Hankerson=plays soft/doesn't fight for the ball/isn't quick
Moss=drop issues/old/not as explosive as before
Mogan=waste of cap/slow/doesn't make plays
Robinson=butterfingers

Reed=Beast

I will give you that Reed likely could be used in the mold of a Jimmy Graham as a top target, but the Saints also have:

Marques Colston-Big bodied possession WR that attacks the ball, and wins matchups vs. CB's in tight coverage, and great hands

Lance Moore-Very quick WR gets good separation in his routes and has very good body control to adjust to the ball, and great hands

Kenny Stills-One of the steals of the draft, has been lights out for the Saints since the preseason. Is going to replace Lance Moore in the very near future. Plays very similar to Lance Moore, but is even bigger and faster. Has shown great hands, tracks the ball very well. In the preseason abused some really good CB's on some of his routes, and is on pace for 750 yards and 7tds as a rookie. It's not just the system with him either. He was abusing some good CB's during the pre-season, and making plays/circus catches. He has continued his high level of play into the regular season as well. Would've been a nice pickup in the 5th round for us. He really would have been the perfect slot WR replacement for Moss. 6'1" 4.32 40 at the combine.

Made a thread about him a few months ago:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16662313
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also have Drew Brees throwing them the ball. The guy who might have the best ball placement in the nfl.

Why do you always leave out the fact that these other teams you decide to compare our WRs against have good to elite qbs?

Not, an average/developing pocket passing qb who's a year or two away from being a great pocket passer - if he ever gets there.

Oh and I loved Kenny Stills coming out also, but I'm still glad we took 3 DBs and I'd rather have Jordan Reed now over any of those Wrs you keep mentioning.

I didn't like Reed before the draft or on draft day but I'll admit, I was 100% wrong about him.

tyler735

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
They also have Drew Brees throwing them the ball. The guy who might have the best ball placement in the nfl.

Why do you always leave out the fact that these other teams you decide to compare our WRs against have good to elite qbs?

Not, an average/developing pocket passing qb who's a year or two away from being a great pocket passer - if he ever gets there.

Oh and I loved Kenny Stills coming out also, but I'm still glad we took 3 DBs and I'd rather have Jordan Reed now over any of those Wrs you keep mentioning.

I didn't like Reed before the draft or on draft day but I'll admit, I was 100% wrong about him.

Lol maybe you should read one of my last posts in the draft thread. I don't just compare to guys with elite QB's...Josh Gordon 2nd rounder last year...Brandon Weeden, Hoyer, Campbell have been his revolving door of QB's in his first two seasons.

Robert Woods was also mentioned another 2nd rounder who has had EJ Manuel and Thad Lewis throwing him the ball. He has had no problem putting up numbers so far either.

I know it is hindsight, I'm not mad about our draft, but had we taken Stills instead of Jenkins/Thompson, we could have really had an amazing draft with such limited resources.

Man I love how down people are on RG3. If he ever gets there? Last year he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and now we are questioning if he ever can be a great pocket passer. Sure it sucks watching right now, but his ability didn't just disappear from last year. He will be just fine.

On a side note, one other WR that has caught my eye a bit as a Santana Moss replacement if he comes out this year, he could stay and continue to raise his draft stock. Brandin Cooks out of Oregon State. He is about the same size as Moss, and when I watch him play the explosiveness/playstyle kinda reminds me of Moss. They have very similar times for personal best in track as well so the speed is really comparable, along with the quickness.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/brandin-cooks-vs-colorado-2013/
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Lol maybe you should read one of my last posts in the draft thread. I don't just compare to guys with elite QB's...Josh Gordon 2nd rounder last year...Brandon Weeden, Hoyer, Campbell have been his revolving door of QB's in his first two seasons.

Robert Woods was also mentioned another 2nd rounder who has had EJ Manuel and Thad Lewis throwing him the ball. He has had no problem putting up numbers so far either.

I know it is hindsight, I'm not mad about our draft, but had we taken Stills instead of Jenkins/Thompson, we could have really had an amazing draft with such limited resources.

Man I love how down people are on RG3. If he ever gets there? Last year he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and now we are questioning if he ever can be a great pocket passer. Sure it sucks watching right now, but his ability didn't just disappear from last year. He will be just fine.

On a side note, one other WR that has caught my eye a bit as a Santana Moss replacement if he comes out this year, he could stay and continue to raise his draft stock. Brandin Cooks out of Oregon State. He is about the same size as Moss, and when I watch him play the explosiveness/playstyle kinda reminds me of Moss. They have very similar times for personal best in track as well so the speed is really comparable, along with the quickness.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=buffalo-bills&id=3426&src=desktop

Robert woods, silent since Qb change...

Quote:
Week 1 vs. Patriots: 2 targets, 1 receptions, 18 yards, 1 touchdown
Week 2 vs. Panthers: 6 targets, 4 receptions, 68 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 3 vs. Jets: 8 targets, 2 receptions, 35 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 4 vs. Ravens: 8 targets, 4 receptions, 80 yards, 1 touchdown
Week 5 vs. Browns: 13 targets, 5 receptions, 64 yards, 0 touchdowns

Since Thad Lewis has taken over the starting role, Woods' numbers have dipped:

Week 6 vs. Bengals: 6 targets, 2 catches, 9 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 7 vs. Dolphins: 4 targets, 3 catches, 24 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 8 vs. Saints: 4 targets, 1 catch, 7 yards, 0 touchdowns

Asked Monday about Woods' recent drop-off, Bills coach Doug Marrone noted that it hasn't been Woods' playing time that has fallen off; it's been his production.

So I'm supposed to sit here and think this guy is blowing Hank's production out of the water this year? And he's played in one more game...

He has 3 more receptions, and one less TD and he's played one more game.

Keep reaching bro. Keep reaching...

Brandin Cooks is a good player. I'd still rather take one of the top ILB's to replace Fletcher in round 2. Depending on what OL and DL are available in round 3, I'd consider taking a WR in round 3. More than likely though, I see us waiting till the 4th or later to take a WR and develop them behind what we have and the free agent I think we'll sign.

tyler735

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=buffalo-bills&id=3426&src=desktop

Robert woods, silent since Qb change...

Quote:
Week 1 vs. Patriots: 2 targets, 1 receptions, 18 yards, 1 touchdown
Week 2 vs. Panthers: 6 targets, 4 receptions, 68 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 3 vs. Jets: 8 targets, 2 receptions, 35 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 4 vs. Ravens: 8 targets, 4 receptions, 80 yards, 1 touchdown
Week 5 vs. Browns: 13 targets, 5 receptions, 64 yards, 0 touchdowns

Since Thad Lewis has taken over the starting role, Woods' numbers have dipped:

Week 6 vs. Bengals: 6 targets, 2 catches, 9 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 7 vs. Dolphins: 4 targets, 3 catches, 24 yards, 0 touchdowns
Week 8 vs. Saints: 4 targets, 1 catch, 7 yards, 0 touchdowns

Asked Monday about Woods' recent drop-off, Bills coach Doug Marrone noted that it hasn't been Woods' playing time that has fallen off; it's been his production.

So I'm supposed to sit here and think this guy is blowing Hank's production out of the water this year? And he's played in one more game...

He has 3 more receptions, and one less TD and he's played one more game.

Keep reaching bro. Keep reaching...

Lol how am I reaching...would you consider a rookie in EJ Manuel, or Thad Lewis to be a better passer than RG3? I know I wouldn't...What I do know is that Woods is better than Hankerson in every statistical category this season minus touchdowns...

What I do know is that when he had EJ Manuel as his QB for the first 5 games this season he had 265 yards receiving and 2 tds. Considering if you just take just those first 5 games he has more receiving yards than Hankerson does this season through 7 games...yeah I would consider that to be pretty telling. In other words, a guy with a rookie QB has put up better numbers in his first 5 games than Hankerson who is a 3rd year player with a 2nd year QB has done in 7 games.

You didn't even touch the Josh Gordon comment...I don't blame you...we both know the answer to this...It is okay to admit defeat Turtle...

You know what is the worst part of Hankersons stats this year...is how he has gotten them lets do a quick review session:

Hankerson had his only big game of the season against the Eagles in week 1 in this game he had 0 receptions in the first half. He didn't have any yards until the game was out of hand and the Eagles were winning 33-7. He got all 5 catches, 80 yards, and 2tds in garbage time of that game. EVERY SINGLE STAT HE COMPILED WAS WHEN THE GAME WAS OUT OF REACH AND THE EAGLES LET UP. Really let that sink in for a second.

In case you don't believe me there's the play by play from the game:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=330909028&period=0

That is 1/3 of his entire season yardage came in garbage time in that game. 2/3 of his entire season TD total came in garbage time in that game. If you want to be technical 31.5 percent of his receiving yards this season were in that game. 66.666% of his touchdown total was in that game. Some might call a game like that an outlier. Laughing

Even worse is the only other big play he's had this season was a 26 yard catch against the Bears where it was a blown coverage assignment and NOT A SINGLE defender covered him on the play. That was the only play he made in that game against the Bears on 5 targets. This is a 3rd year player we are talking about here. Don't give me the he's only played so many games excuse. He has spent 3 years under Shanahan now this is inexcusable.

How many yards has he actually earned this season when he's facing real defense?

If you take away his Eagles game...his 16 game average stat totals would be...464 yards receiving and 3 td's I even left in the garbage time stats from the Green Bay game, and the easiest 26 yard reception anyone will ever make in their career against the Bears.

As mentioned above his numbers still get beat by guys like Gordon and Woods. As mentioned before those we just the first two guys that popped into my head that were picked in the 2nd round that didn't have good QB play. You are the one that is trying to deny what is so obvious here...Hankerson isn't very good right now, and numerous young WR's regardless of QB are outplaying him right now.

The Bills have been in every game this year and haven't had the luxury of compiling garbage stats like Hankerson has done so well with us this year. Heck even worse is Woods has posted over 50 yards receiving in 3 games this year...Hankerson has only done so 1 time and that was in the Eagles game.

Heck I might as well stick with Bills rookies and include my man man Marquise Goodwin. He has played in only 3 games this season...I don't count week 1 since he broke a bone in his hand right away in the game, and only had 1 target because of it. He just came back from the injury 3 weeks ago...right now Goodwin has played in 3 games and has over 50 yards receiving in 2 of his 3 games. He also scored a big TD to send a game to overtime in 1 of the 3 games he's played.

This is something you don't see Hankerson do, Goodwin can actually make plays on the ball when it isn't a good pass:
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Goodwin-fingertip-catch/87e4b940-dd09-42f1-8be3-fd741323c76c

Not many people can pull this off either. Goodwin absolutely blows by Terrance Newman, who is still a very fast CB.
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Lewis-40-yard-TD-pass/d65526b2-e68c-4c01-8e78-8c41a5f7c21d

I might as well add in that he averages close to 4 more yards per return than our kick returners as well and has the speed to do this:
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Goodwin-107-yard-kick-off-return/81afac98-81f2-4776-b577-26ab66fd0696

Goodwin hasn't had to many chances, but he is already making them count much more than any of our WR's outside of Garcon/Reed have been. I mean seriously do you see any of our WR's outside of those two making plays like that...didn't think so.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to blame the first half of the Eagles game on the WR core?

Come on man, really?

First possession, fumble Alfred.

Second possession pitch in the endzone, it's high and Alfred Drops it - safety.

So we had already lost our confidence. Then we had RG3 just looking bad, throwing off his back foot, not stepping through his passes, afraid to get hit and throwing behind his wrs and not seeing them open in the first half.

Then, we had RG3 panic and throw a 40 yard pass to Moss down the middle of the field when he was triple covered - intercepted.

Beyond that, You ignored my main point of my last post....

Woods has 3 more receptions and more yards because the bills have played 1 more game than the Redskins and the Bills will continue to have played 1 more game the Redskins until the bills have a bye week, so you can't really compare their stats straight up.

And yes, EJ Manuel and even Thad Lewis have been more consistent passers than RG3 this year.

The entire passing game has to play better from the OL in protection, to the WRs in getting open and catching the ball, but the worst thing about our passing offense right now is by far RG3. Until RG3 does better as a passer, thee wrs are not going to have outstanding games with a lot of catches and more than 100 YDs and a few Tds.

You put any of these 1 and 2 year wrs on other teams you've been strokin for the past several weeks and they'd be doing nothing with RG3 as their Qb because RG3 can't see that their open, will wait till their open out is their break, can't get them the ball on time, in stride, infront of them on their route so they can get YAC, and can't get them the ball accurately and make it catchable for them.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys have to whine about WRs in every thread?

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: