Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for Steeler fans:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing Heath's play fall off this year (maybe still not 100%, not sure), I'd be happy with taking Ebron in the 1st after watching some video of him. Even if we are top 10, I'd be fine with a "reach" for a stud TE.

As far as WR goes, I think Watkins is more polished than Evans, and if Lee checks out, he even more so, I think. Along the lines of keth's thinking in the other thread, though different position, we can't afford to wait a year for our next 1st Rd pick to develop, and pretty sure Ebron or Lee/Watkins would be better suited as our 1st rounder. Let's look at the past 5 drafts 1st/2nd Rd guys and see which was able to start effectively at their position in their rookie year:

Jones (nice try, but not so much) / Bell (jury's still out)
DD (injured) / Adams (drafted at LT, plays better at RT-great, now we have 2 RTs, ugh)
Heyward (nope) / Gilbert (yes, but fell off last year, slowly making his way back)
Pouncey (yep) / Worilds (yeah, right...)
Hood (not even close) / traded

So that's two and a half (Adams) out of 10. Not so good. Agree with JPN, keth, 43M, heck, the whole board, we need a playmaker.

As far as LT, is there a single prospect that would be able to start at LT, at least somewhat effectively? If so, then great, otherwise, what's the point? Spend the money on a FA. And JPN said that worse case, Richardson would be a RT...woo hoo, that would make 3 RTs. Not knocking you, JPN, just looking at facts. Brick wall I think once Pouncey comes back, we are good at every position on the OL, but not at the most critical position. Poor Ben...

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stay away from Taylor Lewan. Mike Evans and Richardson too. Only guy I like is C. Erving from FSU. And I wouldn't go LT in first round at all.

Heck if we draft Louis Nix I'm going to bash my head against every wood I can find until I no longer can. Nix is not a nose tackle in our scheme and even as a DE its pretty stupid to draft other one.

I'm truly high on those players: Khalil Mack, ASJ (the TE from Washington), or Sammy Watkins.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with what I've seen of Nix this year. It is also the offense's turn in the 1st Razz

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, as much as we need a LT, my gut feeling is..

We either need to do whatever it takes to get Jake Matthews or we need to do whatever it takes to get Sammy Watkins.

If we really fall so far off a cliff that we get Clowney..you're not going to hear me complain about that.

If we can't get those too.. I think we need to start thinking about trading back..significantly.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
After seeing Heath's play fall off this year (maybe still not 100%, not sure), I'd be happy with taking Ebron in the 1st after watching some video of him. Even if we are top 10, I'd be fine with a "reach" for a stud TE.

As far as WR goes, I think Watkins is more polished than Evans, and if Lee checks out, he even more so, I think. Along the lines of keth's thinking in the other thread, though different position, we can't afford to wait a year for our next 1st Rd pick to develop, and pretty sure Ebron or Lee/Watkins would be better suited as our 1st rounder. Let's look at the past 5 drafts 1st/2nd Rd guys and see which was able to start effectively at their position in their rookie year:

Jones (nice try, but not so much) / Bell (jury's still out)
DD (injured) / Adams (drafted at LT, plays better at RT-great, now we have 2 RTs, ugh)
Heyward (nope) / Gilbert (yes, but fell off last year, slowly making his way back)
Pouncey (yep) / Worilds (yeah, right...)
Hood (not even close) / traded

So that's two and a half (Adams) out of 10. Not so good. Agree with JPN, keth, 43M, heck, the whole board, we need a playmaker.

As far as LT, is there a single prospect that would be able to start at LT, at least somewhat effectively? If so, then great, otherwise, what's the point? Spend the money on a FA. And JPN said that worse case, Richardson would be a RT...woo hoo, that would make 3 RTs. Not knocking you, JPN, just looking at facts. Brick wall I think once Pouncey comes back, we are good at every position on the OL, but not at the most critical position. Poor Ben...

I agree on Ebron.

I dont agree we are good on the OL. Foster and Gilbert should not be starting and for me the jury is still out on Adams to a degree. Personally Id highly consider relacing all 3 as starters, I do like Ramon as the swing man.

Watkins does look like he has definitely upgraded his game this year. Last year he was really outclassed by Hopkins IMO but he looks to me like he's taken a few lessons from Hopkins. He is an explosive player and I'm kind of struggling to find a comparison for him. To say he reminds of C. Patterson is a disservice to him. His explosion after the catch is Santonio Holmes like, I picture Fitz running away from us in the Super Bowl when I see him catch the ball on skinny posts and crossing routes. His hands have improved greatly.

Marquise Lee has deficiencies in his game that concerned me before the injury. He could be a boom or bust prospect, but is not on the level of Watkins at all really based on past performance.

As for Richardson, I'll get back to you on my concerns, most of which had to do with resetting his feet and his pack pedal. To this point I have been bogged down with school work so I haven't been able to "study" in season as I normally do. I have just begun to turn that up a few /several notches. Its all good, for me the base is set and I know where they are coming from, now I just need to see where they have gotten to, then I can tell you where they are going Wink

The thing I like best about Richardson is his attitude, he likes to win and doesnt like to lose. None of our OT's are like that really, maybe Beachum is actually but he's not talented enough to have that matter.

For the reason above is why I like players like David Yankey and Xavier Sua Filo but..They are nasty finishers., this is one thing that Jake Matthews has not displayed. Perhaps the most nasty player Ive watched is Cyril Richardson but he minds me a good bit of everybody's favorite Willie C.

...you have a forum resume?
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was comparing Evens with Patterson. Sorry if there was confusion.

The only other LT I like is Cameron Erving from FSU.

Lewan needs coaching for technique. He is not ready to start out of the box. He is nasty but his poor technique will burn him bad in the NFL.

The same can be said of Kouandjio. Athletic with ( now) 2 seasons as a starter but poor technique. Most college players can get by on pure athleticism for their college playing days. Not in the NFL.

Mathews is all technique but poor ( when compared to Lewan, Kouandjio and Evans) athleticism. He has less foot speed than Adams but his technique is great.

Not knowing their smarts, I would say that Mathews has the lowest Ceiling of the 4 but the highest Floor by far. He is a safe pick.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Lewan needs coaching for technique. He is not ready to start out of the box. He is nasty but his poor technique will burn him bad in the NFL.

The same can be said of Kouandjio. Athletic with ( now) 2 seasons as a starter but poor technique. Most college players can get by on pure athleticism for their college playing days. Not in the NFL.

Mathews is all technique but poor ( when compared to Lewan, Kouandjio and Evans) athleticism. He has less foot speed than Adams but his technique is great.

Not knowing their smarts, I would say that Mathews has the lowest Ceiling of the 4 but the highest Floor by far. He is a safe pick.

I didnt see you comp to Patterson i threw that out there. I dont see the Evans / Patterson comp though.

jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I didnt see you comp to Patterson i threw that out there. I dont see the Evans / Patterson comp though.

Both are tall WR with limited playing time. But Evens is more Vincent Jackson than Patterson.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Both are tall WR with limited playing time. But Evens is more Vincent Jackson than Patterson.

I see the Jackson comp a lot more but not the Patterson comp, Patterson's game was more likened to Josh Cribbs actually.

I believe Patterson is a small 6'2 as well (more like 6'1 something), he doesn't play big, in other words his game is not vertical.

Eaglehoc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the Michigan Michigan State game I would say that Lewan is not the highest LT on my draft board. There has to be other LT options out there that are not making the list for left tackles or this has to be a very bad year for them.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: