Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for Steeler fans:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Draft question for Steeler fans: Reply with quote

Taylor Lewan or Mike Evans, if both are on the board, with no better option available at either position, with your 1st-round selection?
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big Lewan fan. I just don't see the tools to ever be an elite LT. I don't think there's one in the draft, frankly. At least not in the top 3 everyone mentions. Maybe some diamond in the rough I'm missing.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i have pick for my 1st round selection? Taylor Lewan 100/100 times. I'm sorry, but I'm not sold on Evans at all.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it both are LTs? I haven't kept up on draft prospects this year.

Than answer is neither.

The Steelers won't take an LT unless it is the top LT in the draft, and even then.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
I take it both are LTs? I haven't kept up on draft prospects this year.

Than answer is neither.

The Steelers won't take an LT unless it is the top LT in the draft, and even then.

Evans is a WR.
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced to pick between the two at this point, I'd go Lewan.

Anything that Evans brings to the table will be irrelevant until Haley gets his walking papers.

I'm hoping things change enough that in the near future I can change my mind on this and say Evans.

That said, I'm not sold on either guy.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

Anything that Evans brings to the table will be irrelevant until Haley gets his walking papers.

I'm hoping things change enough that in the near future I can change my mind on this and say Evans.

Frankly, I agree, this isn't a great year to need a WR or OT.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Frankly, I agree, this isn't a great year to need a WR or OT.

I like the WR class quite a bit. Watkins is a legit top ten talent and there are at least 2 and maybe 3 other legit first rounders. Reasonable depth beyond that too.

I do think Evans will take a couple years to develop ala Vincent Jackson. Otherwise, he's a great compliment to our current stable of receivers.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be pleased with either guy.

Evans is precisely the big WR the Steelers need to play along AB. For as good as AB is he doesn't score many TDs. 207 career receptions and only 9 touchdowns. People are saying that that he needs a good #2 so he can get in the end zone but for a few years he had Wallace on the other side and still scored few TDs. Landing Evans will give the Steelers the desperate red zone presence they need. The team simply can't score TDs and Evans has the potential to be a big time threat. He's toying with defenders in the SEC.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Lewan at this point. I like his skills but two concerns, #1 durability, #2 strength.

If we are selecting as high as I believe you are figuring, Louis Nix would probably be very high on our radar.

If we are picking perhaps a little later than you are figuring then Eric Ebron should definitely be a consideration for this team. Regardless of needs we are always looking for best player.

As much as we'd like a good left tackle the Steelers have never truly had any type of elite left tackle, good to decent at times (it's been a while) but not elite.

LT is at or near the top of our needs, but getting an elite NT and or a TE that is a playmaker/difference maker could be dynamic for this team.

...you have a forum resume?
armsteeld

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
I'd take Lewan at this point. I like his skills but two concerns, #1 durability, #2 strength.

If we are selecting as high as I believe you are figuring, Louis Nix would probably be very high on our radar.

If we are picking perhaps a little later than you are figuring then Eric Ebron should definitely be a consideration for this team. Regardless of needs we are always looking for best player.

As much as we'd like a good left tackle the Steelers have never truly had any type of elite left tackle, good to decent at times (it's been a while) but not elite.

LT is at or near the top of our needs, but getting an elite NT and or a TE that is a playmaker/difference maker could be dynamic for this team.

Ebron would be beastly and I would support the pick. I am leaning more towards Richardson from TN. He is big and powerful with natural balance. I like his game overall compared to the other top tackles. If not him, then give me Gabe Jackson from MS ST. Dude is a man child!

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are in such desperate need of playmakers on both sides of the football.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evens is like Patterson but less raw. His route running is very basic. It consists of fly and post with an occasional slant. All routes are deep. What is nice is that he goes up to get the ball. With "johnny Football" throwing up balls, Evens tends to just out jump and out muscle to get to the ball.

He would need a least 1 season to learn his craft.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Ebron would be beastly and I would support the pick. I am leaning more towards Richardson from TN. He is big and powerful with natural balance. I like his game overall compared to the other top tackles. If not him, then give me Gabe Jackson from MS ST. Dude is a man child!

Agree very much with this.. Preseason I had Richardson #1 OT and #3 prospect overall.

I bumped up Matthews previously because I loved his use of hands and keeping separation with arms. This past week I was disappointed in what I saw from Matthews. There are some concerns I have with Richardson, but worse case he makes a great RT.

Gabe Jackson is off the charts with how he sits in his stance and anchors. While I wouldn't fault a team for taking him in the top 10 Id very much prefer we find a way to avoid selecting an OG this early in the 1st as I believe there are two other very good options at the position that can be had late 1st early 2nd. As usual OT's fall off as you get into the 2nd.

...you have a forum resume?
jcm412

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:

Nix is very overrated. Not worth a pick that high.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: