Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for fans of the Rams.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kgarrett12486


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 9585
Location: Busch III
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These mocks are a pick #2 re-write...
_________________

IDOG_det on the sig...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StLunatic88


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 7679
Location: How good is your Good?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree.
With what exactly...?

Is it the FACT that both Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have reiterated on multiple occasions that they are Committed to Bradford as their Franchise QB?

Or is it the FACT that they have already opened negotiations into a contract extension?

We can debate how good of a QB he is or the type of year he is having (Top 20 in Yards & Comp%, Top 15 in QB Rating, Top 10 in TDs and Top 5 in INTs) but on the topic of Sam Bradford being the Rams QB in 2014 is not something that you can really disagree with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suffering_Bills


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 4043
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree.
With what exactly...?

Is it the FACT that both Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have reiterated on multiple occasions that they are Committed to Bradford as their Franchise QB?

Or is it the FACT that they have already opened negotiations into a contract extension?

We can debate how good of a QB he is or the type of year he is having (Top 20 in Yards & Comp%, Top 15 in QB Rating, Top 10 in TDs and Top 5 in INTs) but on the topic of Sam Bradford being the Rams QB in 2014 is not something that you can really disagree with.

I just think it's a terrible investment in a guy who hasn't shown he can be the catalyst for a WINNING team, and now he's coming back HURT, with his return being even more expensive.
Just lousy strategy. Wish you guys the best, but that junk looks awful.
_________________
Why have a signature? I don't need to be famous.................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BamaRam


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 403
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:

I just think it's a terrible investment in a guy who hasn't shown he can be the catalyst for a WINNING team, and now he's coming back HURT, with his return being even more expensive.
Just lousy strategy. Wish you guys the best, but that junk looks awful.


Well if you're wanting to do a mock based on what Suffering_Bills would do, then you're free to give us Albert Pujols for the #14 pick for all we care.

But you asked what would be more realistic. Our HC/GM chose to stick with Bradford over RG3, they have reiterated that he is our QB in 2014 and going forward, they are willing to sign him to an extension (that would hopefully help the cap numbers), and as of now his #'s make him very difficult to cut.

We're telling you that Bradford is going nowhere. We SHOULD draft a mid-round developmental QB because we have no backup. A guy to develop as a backup is very valuable in the NFL today and would be a good investment in rounds 2-4. This is our last year with multiple first rounders, so we will continue to support Bradford and potentially fill a defensive void.

Protecting Bradford is priority 1. Jake Matthews is ideal because of his experience playing on the right side where he can be plugged in immediately then move over when Jake Long is done. Lewan has immense physical tools and arguably has more potential as a blindside protector.

As for the #14 pick, there are a few directions. The team has placed great value on the defensive backs, and Cortland Finnegan has been pathetic this season. We have no FS so a guy like Clinton-Dix would be an immediate starter. If we are set on running an off-man scheme, we could even draft a CB who is a better fit for the scheme than Trumaine Johnson,despite him being a talented player. We all hope the scheme is adjusted to fit our current players and thus CB would be a late-round need.

Brockers is a stud at DT. However, Langford has regressed. We need another DT that can help clog running lanes because of our wide 4-3 alignment. A guy like Nix would be a good fit here. If we want more of a complimentary DT to Brockers that can penetrate, then Ra'Shede Hageman would be the best choice in my opinion.

Despite pouring tons of resources into the WR and TE positions, our team is still bottom-5 in terms of offensive weapons. Because of the amount of talent/money we have spent here, I have to place blame on the coaches. I like Ray Sherman but our receivers are still poor route runners and have some of the worst hands in the league. Unfortunately I think Sherman AND Schottenheimer should be replaced. However, it would be hard to argue giving us a WR at #14 because of how poorly our guys have performed. Austin is a nice toy, but he is poorly utilized and raw. If a guy like Sammy Watkins (doubtful) or Mike Evans is there at #14, it would be difficult to pass on them.

There you have it. I hope this helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suffering_Bills


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 4043
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamaRam wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:

I just think it's a terrible investment in a guy who hasn't shown he can be the catalyst for a WINNING team, and now he's coming back HURT, with his return being even more expensive.
Just lousy strategy. Wish you guys the best, but that junk looks awful.


Well if you're wanting to do a mock based on what Suffering_Bills would do, then you're free to give us Albert Pujols for the #14 pick for all we care.

But you asked what would be more realistic. Our HC/GM chose to stick with Bradford over RG3, they have reiterated that he is our QB in 2014 and going forward, they are willing to sign him to an extension (that would hopefully help the cap numbers), and as of now his #'s make him very difficult to cut.

We're telling you that Bradford is going nowhere. We SHOULD draft a mid-round developmental QB because we have no backup. A guy to develop as a backup is very valuable in the NFL today and would be a good investment in rounds 2-4. This is our last year with multiple first rounders, so we will continue to support Bradford and potentially fill a defensive void.

Protecting Bradford is priority 1. Jake Matthews is ideal because of his experience playing on the right side where he can be plugged in immediately then move over when Jake Long is done. Lewan has immense physical tools and arguably has more potential as a blindside protector.

As for the #14 pick, there are a few directions. The team has placed great value on the defensive backs, and Cortland Finnegan has been pathetic this season. We have no FS so a guy like Clinton-Dix would be an immediate starter. If we are set on running an off-man scheme, we could even draft a CB who is a better fit for the scheme than Trumaine Johnson,despite him being a talented player. We all hope the scheme is adjusted to fit our current players and thus CB would be a late-round need.

Brockers is a stud at DT. However, Langford has regressed. We need another DT that can help clog running lanes because of our wide 4-3 alignment. A guy like Nix would be a good fit here. If we want more of a complimentary DT to Brockers that can penetrate, then Ra'Shede Hageman would be the best choice in my opinion.

Despite pouring tons of resources into the WR and TE positions, our team is still bottom-5 in terms of offensive weapons. Because of the amount of talent/money we have spent here, I have to place blame on the coaches. I like Ray Sherman but our receivers are still poor route runners and have some of the worst hands in the league. Unfortunately I think Sherman AND Schottenheimer should be replaced. However, it would be hard to argue giving us a WR at #14 because of how poorly our guys have performed. Austin is a nice toy, but he is poorly utilized and raw. If a guy like Sammy Watkins (doubtful) or Mike Evans is there at #14, it would be difficult to pass on them.

There you have it. I hope this helps.

VERY well-stated, and I agree with MOST of your points. Just not all.
_________________
Why have a signature? I don't need to be famous.................................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BEASToftheEAST4


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 2727
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most others have said, the Rams are sticking with Bradford--for better or worse, so regardless of if us fans like it or not, it is a moot point. That said, I would like to see us draft a QB (IN ROUNDS 2-4). Regardless, if we were to take a QB in round 1, I would hope to God that is wasn't Manziel. That's where you're catching so much flack with your scenario. Personally, I don't see Manziel as an NFL quarterback, but even despite that notion, our team isn't built for a QB of his style.
_________________

^El Ramster^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SAK11


Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their is a concern for Bradford it's more so his injury and not his play. But he's not a running QB so you'd have to think with the treatment and rehab of today, he'll be okay health-wise.

His play this year was that of a top 10-12 QB this year, pushing more towards top 10 status when you look at what he had to deal with. For most of his starts he had absolutely no run game, the special teams deficiencies left him with poor field position drive after drive, and the team was once again amongst the league leaders in drops. I heard so many people call this a make or break year for him, and I didn't agree seeing as he was playing with such a young group and so many new faces, but he was still able to put together impressive numbers. He was in all all 14 of the teams offensive touchdowns. He completed over 60% of his passes even with the drops, and these fancy new weapons of his haven't done a whole lot to help (due to their own mistakes, as well as the inability of our play caller to use them right).

He makes too much money but that's just because of the ridiculous rookie salaries from before, unlucky for the Rams that he was the last 1st pick to get that type of money, but the management knows this is their guy and I'd say most fans agree. Even if you don't you're better off looking at other positions for your mock so you're not way off the mark with your picks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StLunatic88


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 7679
Location: How good is your Good?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
I just think it's a terrible investment in a guy who hasn't shown he can be the catalyst for a WINNING team, and now he's coming back HURT, with his return being even more expensive.
Just lousy strategy. Wish you guys the best, but that junk looks awful.
Well you clearly dont know what Sam Bradford has done for this team, and apparently refuse to acknowledge what the top talent evaluators still see in Bradfords game (something even some Rams fans do)

His injury is likely to have minimal or no effects on his game. He isnt a runner, like barely at all, he is a pocket passer. So that argument does not apply.

And in actuality, his next contract is going to cost the team LESS than his rookie contract. You know the last one before the pay scale, so the Richest rookie contract in the History of the NFL. By Cap hit he is already a Top 10 paid QB, and by Base Salary he is Top 5. And in 2014, even with all the new Huge QB contracts being handed out, his Cap Hit will be the 6th Highest in the league.

So if he is our Franchise QB, which the Front Office clearly believes he is, This would be the perfect time to get him locked up with a New Contract Extension. After he has proven he is an NFL QB so it will drop his number, but before he shows he should be making Ryan/Stafford type of money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonezy


Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 3176
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Lewan and sure I'll love Manziel.......in the 3rd Smile
_________________

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 23147
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:

I'm sorry. I just can't see the optimism in Bradford returning as being the great revival. Very Happy
Then why did you ask for our advice and opinions if you're just going to ignore them?
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45635
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Be that as it may, you dont draft a QB in the first to sit em these days, unless you have every other need filled prior which definitely isnt the case for us.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Rams cutting Bradford LOOSE, then drafting a QB, be it Johnny Football, Mettenberger, Boyd, WHOMEVER, to take over for and START for Sam, effective immediately.
He was ineffectual WHEN healthy, and now he's got a wrecked knee.


Why even ask for opinions if you're going to ignore them all?

And you don't dump a guy playing as well as Bradford did(ineffective? Come on) for the guys you named.

Teddy Bridgewater would be the only QB that I'd move on from Bradford for.

The Rams aren't cutting Bradford. Bradford was playing at a very high level before he went down.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45635
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamaRam wrote:
I like Ray Sherman but our receivers are still poor route runners and have some of the worst hands in the league.


We have zero veteran WRs. Firing Sherman would be a mistake. Go look at the leaps and bounds that Pettis has improved in his time here. Austin already looks like a polished route runner and is excellent at beating the jam.

The only real "knocks" on him are Chris Givens and Brian Quick. And I have to question Givens's desire to improve seeing how much Pettis has improved. And Quick has improved...he just can't stay in the game mentally. That's not something the WR Coach can fix.

As far as drops, you can't magically improve a WR's hands. That's more on the player then the coach. Although a large chunk of our drops are from Austin. That's pure rookie jitters.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45635
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft question for fans of the Rams. Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
ASSUMING.... (However briefly) -that St. Louis winds up picking around, say, 7th and 14th overall in the 2014 NFL draft. Which is not a COMPLETELY unreasonable estimate, although I'm doing it based on average likelihood.
Now, presuming that's at or around the case, which of these two draft scenarios would you all prefer? Curious.

SCENARIO #1: Taylor Lewan and Johnny Manziel...

OR.......... Very Happy

SCENARIO #2: Jake Matthews and Lache Seastrunk?

Thank you.


If you want my opinion...Scenario #3:
Jake Matthews
and
the BVA at the positions of WR/DT/G/S/CB
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tim199009


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 1268
Location: I post for Bitcoins
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been one of Bradfords biggest critics but this year made me realize he is our franchise QB, and talent wise there arent many QBs in the league better than him. He has yet to proven himself on the big stage and the reason for that is because he lacks the risk taking trait. I would love manziel as a backup but he isnt replacing bradford.
_________________
All Hail Lord Yeezus

Every one feel free to send your Bitcoins here:
16o9K2FJ7qYtGR2mypgFnQ2ee5H3p4vnR7

Rams Rams Rams



Kanye West= the GOAT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FRO


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 1155
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Be that as it may, you dont draft a QB in the first to sit em these days, unless you have every other need filled prior which definitely isnt the case for us.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Rams cutting Bradford LOOSE, then drafting a QB, be it Johnny Football, Mettenberger, Boyd, WHOMEVER, to take over for and START for Sam, effective immediately.
He was ineffectual WHEN healthy, and now he's got a wrecked knee.


Why even ask for opinions if you're going to ignore them all?

And you don't dump a guy playing as well as Bradford did(ineffective? Come on) for the guys you named.

Teddy Bridgewater would be the only QB that I'd move on from Bradford for.

The Rams aren't cutting Bradford. Bradford was playing at a very high level before he went down.

28 TDs 11 INTs in his last 16 games. Was on pace for 36 TDs this year. When Stacy was the starting RB he had 7 TDs to 1 INT and if it weren't for a drop and a stupid penalty would have had 9 TDs in that stretch. So if that's ineffective then there must be some super high standards. Now most national fans probably only saw the 49er game where he was terrible.

Sam isn't the problem. The problem is our receivers aren't that good still and until Stacy we had zero run game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group