Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mid Point Awards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Mid Point Awards Reply with quote

Half way through the season and it's time to see who your Cowboy Mid Point Awards (current players) are going to.

MVP

OPY

DPY

Rookie of year

Most Improved Player

Coach of year

Biggest surprise

Biggest disappointment

Once you have completed that, now you can throw in your expectations of these players and the rest of the team for what is going to happen in the second half of this season.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Last edited by textaz03 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVP: Lee
The heart and soul of the defense. A playmaker and a fantastic student of the game.

OPY: Romo
Playing perhaps his best statistical performance ever.

DPY: Hatcher
The last survivor of the DL. And with scrubs around him, he rises even higher.

ROY: Fredbeard
What an improvement he has made to the OL. Williams is close, but Fred has done more.

COY: Rod
The man is a miracle worker.

Surprise: The OL
The OL has held up really well. Selvie comes to mind as well as does Williams.

Disappointment: Ware
I don't think I need to say much.

I am seeing a 9-7 Finish. Winning the Division.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is who I have:

MVP - Sean Lee

OPY - Tony Romo

DPY - Sean Lee

Rookie of year - Travis Frederick

Most Improved Player - Doug Free

Coach of year - Rod Marinelli

Biggest surprise - George Selvie

Biggest disappointment - DeMarcus Ware

I went with Sean Lee over Romo as MVP due to the fact I really feel like he could make a strong case for DPY for the league. He is second in tackles and tied with the lead in INT's so far through 8 games (IIRC). He is having a very strong season so far. Romo for OPY is a no brainer. He has been much improved over last season and we still wouldn't be where we are Offensively if it wasn't for Romo.

I put Doug Free as most improved player because everyone was willing to just write this guy off. It's amazing the turnaround he has made in a single season.

My biggest bust of the season goes to Ware. There was so much offseason hype surrounding Ware in this new system. We just haven't seen it yet.

My expectations going forward into the end of the season are I expect Ware to pull out of his funk and start making some plays. 4 Sacks in 8 games is just not Ware like. I expect to see him triple that number in the next 8 games. I think the staff will find a better way to keep him fresh.

I also expect to see Dez over take Romo as OPY. I think something will click with our Offense and we will see Dez just start taking over games.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVP
Romo

He gives the team a chance to win every week, no matter who they play. Hes off to a much better start this year than he was at this time last year, and could end up having a career year if he keeps it up.

OPY
Dez

Easily the most dangerous weapon on the offense, and has outplayed everyone else up to this point.

DPY
Lee

Probably the most consistently good player on the defense, and the best playmaker as well. Is there a LBer playing better than him right now in the entire league?

Rookie of year
Frederick

I can't remember the last time we've had this kind of quality in the middle of the line. Coming along way faster than expected. Hope he can keep it up.

Most Improved Player
Doug Free

Good thing the organization didn't give up on this guy, because hes playing like one of the best RTs in the league.

Coach of year
Rod Marinelli

No explanation needed

Biggest surprise
Hatcher

I knew he was a solid player heading into this season.. but wow. The guy is on pace for 14 sacks from the DT position..

Biggest disappointment
Bill Callahan

I'll take Garrett's play calling any day of the week

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid Point Awards Reply with quote

MVP: Tony Romo. As he goes, this team goes. And although the parts around him struggle, he is quietly having one of the best seasons of his career. And coming from a guy who's thrown 30 scores in a season already, that says a lot.

OPY: Dez Bryant. He is a weapon every team dreams of having.

DPY: Sean Lee. He tackles, he covers, he blitzes, he sheds blocks, he does it all.

Rookie of year: Terrence Williams. Miles Austin who?

Most Improved Player: Cole Beasly. Had you told me this summer that he would be a successful third receiver for this team and lead the league in target-to-reception ratio, I'd have called ya crazy.

Coach of year: Callahan. While his play calling hasn't been great, he's made use of what he has and he's helped put together a rather acceptable patchwork offensive line. I'd like to say Rod here, but really, I struggle to put any defensive coach on this list considering how poorly the whole unit has been playing.

Biggest surprise: George Selvie. Six sacks and counting over eight games? Impressive for a guy who didn't even figure to be much more than a spot duty player going into this season.

Biggest disappointment: Jason Witten. He's missed chips, he's struggled in run blocks, and he's been slow out of his break. He needs to be that stud TE again if this team is to break the .500 barrier by season end.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my opinions have already been covered her.

Selvie is an obvious choice for surprise, but T Williams might be my choice. Rookie receivers so rarely have an impact like he has. I didn't think there was any way he would earn a starting job over Austin by merit... But he sure has.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVP: Sean Lee

OPOTY: Tony Romo, Murray would be a decent argument if he played the past 2 1/2 games.

DPOTY: Jason Hatcher, Lee would obviously be here but I'm just gonna give him the MVP

ROTY: Travis Freebeard

MIPOTY: Doug Free

BS: George Selvie/Morris Claiborne*

COTY: Rod Marinelli, this is pretty self explanatory

BD: Bill Callahan/Miles Austin

*That is not a good surprise, it is a bad.
LeeV1990

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVP - Romo. Playing much better this season then we have seen in awhile. 18 TDs vs. 5 interceptions. Without Romo we would be in serious trouble as I don't exactly trust Orton.

OPY - Dez. On pace for 1300 yards and 16 TDs. If he can put together a second half like last season who knows what kind of numbers he will put up.

DPY - Lee. Hands down the best and most consistent defensive player we have had all year. Hatcher is worth consideration, but from a game changing aspect, Lee has been the only defensive player to provide that kind of spark. Great player, great leader and works his tail off. You really can't say enough about Lee. Just an all-around player that will be here for a long time and I think we are all extremely happy about that.

Rookie of year - T-Will. As much as Fredbeard has improved our offensive line, where would we be without the emergence of T-Will? I don't believe in ghosts, but Ghost Hunters should run a two-hour special to try and find Miles Austin. T-Will gives us a legitimate outside threat that I don't think any of the other receivers could provide.

Most Improved Player - Doug Free. Not great by any means, but day and night difference from last year. Glad he turned it around. It's always nice to see a player who struggled the year before work his butt off and improve the next year.

Coach of year - Rod. The defensive line hasn't been great, but the way they have played with the injuries and the nobodies we picked up is remarkable.

Biggest surprise - George Selvie. Guy has played great for us and I think most people thought he was just going to be a training camp body (I know I did). His play throughout this year has been outstanding considering what everyone was expecting. Congratulations to him though for earning his spot on the team and performing well beyond his expectations.

Biggest disappointment - Anthony Spencer/Jay Ratliff. I think our defensive line would have been stout if both of these guys were healthy. However, good riddance to the both of them. So glad we didn't sign Spencer to a long-term deal. I was a big Ratliff fan until all these shenanigans came about. Not sad to see either of them go, but we would be in a much better position defensively if both of them were healthy and playing for us.
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVP : Tony Romo. He's carrying the club - again.

OPY: Dez Bryant. He causes me to say he's a beast in just about every game. I was going to go off the wall and say Brian Waters but he got hurt. I feel that Waters was the glue that really helped improve the OL.

DPY : Sean Lee. Nothing needs to be said.

Rookie of year: Williams. Close with Frederick but I think we knew what we were getting with Frederick. Williams has been awesome. Exceeded expectations.

Most Improved Player: Doug Free. Beasley a close second.

Coach of year : Marinelli. He has worked wonders with a patchwork line.

Biggest surprise : George Selvie. I keep waiting for the wheels to come off but he keeps making plays. Good for him.

Biggest disappointment : Ware. Hurt again. Close second Demarco Murray. On a team that needs some running Murray is hurt again.
htfryar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MVP: Lee
The heart and soul of the defense. A playmaker and a fantastic student of the game.

OPY: Romo
Playing perhaps his best statistical performance ever.

DPY: Hatcher
The last survivor of the DL. And with scrubs around him, he rises even higher.

ROY: Fredbeard
What an improvement he has made to the OL. Williams is close, but Fred has done more.

COY: Rod
The man is a miracle worker.

Surprise: The OL
The OL has held up really well. Selvie comes to mind as well as does Williams.

Disappointment: Ware
I don't think I need to say much.

I am seeing a 9-7 Finish. Winning the Division.

Ditto

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 sacks
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVP - Romo

OPY - Romo

DPY - Lee

Rookie of year - Frederick

Most Improved Player - Selvie

Coach of year - Marinelli

Biggest surprise - Selvie

Biggest disappointment - Team

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mid Point Awards Reply with quote

MVP - Sean Lee. This is the no brainer. He's been the best player on the team by a wide margin, in my opinion.

OPY - Fredbeard. I know that Romo will be the popular choice, but Romo would not be in a position to have made the plays he's made without Fredbeard's strong play at Center. O-linemen rarely get love, so I'm gonna give him some.

DPY - Sean Lee. Hatcher is a VERY close second, but it's still Lee in my opinion.

Rookie of year - Fredbeard. Again, the offense runs through the Center. His play has been the best Center play we've seen in a really long time, and it has opened up many opportunities for this offense, even though Callahan rarely calls any plays to take advantage of them.

Most Improved Player - Doug Free. He was horrifyingly bad over the last 2 years, so this season has been a welcome change. Some of it has assuredly been due to the help from others on the o-line, but his play has still improved regardless.

Coach of year - Marinara. Wink Seriously, Marinelli's influence has been profound. He's taking a bunch of scrubs off the street and making them competitive. Are they good? No, but that's why they were on the street to begin with. Given the limitations we have, the lack of depth, and an organization which openly ignores d-linemen with high draft picks, he's done an outstanding job.

Biggest surprise - George Selvie. He's played much better than any of us expected.

Biggest disappointment - The front office. It has, yet again, failed to live up to its obligation to field a decent team (read: no Pat McQuistan) and give the coaching staff the best players available to coach (again read: no Pat McQuistan). It knew that a number of players (Ratliff, Spencer, Austin, Murray, Hatcher, Free) were either not going to play, chronically injured, unreliable, on bloated and/or expiring contracts, underperforming, and/or any combination thereof, yet did virtually nothing in the draft to minimize the very real probability of having to compensate for those issues this season. Ultimately, the resulting 8-8 season which we'll likely have (for the third straight year) won't solely be on Garrett's inability to coach and manage games, but will be on the front office's refusal and inability to provide him and the coaching staff enough talent in key positions to field and coach a reasonably competitive team (Pat McQuistan). The front office has failed us for too many years, and it has hurt this team greatly. (Bring back Pat)

I don't expect anything more than us being an 8-8 team. Even though we have a real chance to win 6 of our remaining 8 games (Minnesota, NY Giants, Oakland, Chicago, Washington, Philly), we'll find ways to lost at least 2 of them and end the season in the same fashion as the last two years: in a position to win the division in Week 17 and screw it up.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: