Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should the Bears trade McClellin to a 3-4 team?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Should the Bears trade McClellin to a 3-4 team? Reply with quote

If the Bears stay as a 4-3 team next year should they trade Shea McClellin?

-He clearly cannot play in the 4-3. He has been terrible against the run and has been equally bad against the pass where his lack of pass rush moves and power has made his speed a non-factor. Every week he seems to get worse despite starting and playing a ton of reps.

-He counts 2.5 million against the cap and the Bears can save almost 1.5 million if they cut or trade him.

-The longer we hold on to him and the longer he looks terrible the more his value falls.

As much as it sucks to have wasted a 1st round pick, but we should try and save whatever value we can and move him to a 3-4 team trying to get a 3rd or 4th back.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a team give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him?...trades aren’t as simple as the team wanting the player given up as much as they feel he is worth to them…it’s also about assessing how much the player you are trying to trade for is worth to his current team…if I’m a 3-4 team and I feel as you do that he can’t play in a 4-3 D (which I personally feel it’s too early to do) but I would then throw out the offer of a 6th round pick for him but certainly not a higher pick if I don’t feel he holds any value to his current team…

If we were to trade McClellin the best idea would be to try and trade him for a player who also doesn’t fit his teams current scheme…for example a guy like Bjorn Werner who can’t really stand up in a 3-4 D...

Anyway I feel we hold on to him at least for depth next season.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they should trade him to the Packers for Nick Perry Laughing
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sense in getting rid of him. the depth is already hurting at the dline and we need him in the rotation. if they trade him they should wait until after this year

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
no sense in getting rid of him. the depth is already hurting at the dline and we need him in the rotation. if they trade him they should wait until after this year

Well they have no choice now since the trade deadline already passed yesterday.
bears2308

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. He's a waste of a roster spot after this year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to, but I don't buy that any team would imagine a guy who can't produce as a 4-3 DE would suddenly be worth a 4th and be productive as a 3-4 OLB. It would be better for them financially to just get a rookie rather than a guy who won't produce and has more years and money dedicated to him to fill the roster. He'll only have 2 years left and be owed over 2 mil, he's simply not worth it, when a 4th rounder would be about 4 years with about the same money spread out.

Next year I'm adopting all the NFC North rivals

Thanks to chisoxguy7 for the awesome sig!
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:

What depth and rotation?

He is a liability on the field. He is pretty much the defenses version of Gabe Carimi.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the minimum pick that you would take for McClellin?

I would take a 5th round pick. That seems to be the round where Emery finds starters [Mills, Frey]. Anything lower and I say we keep him.
MemphisBear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to take away from your point, but I thought Frey was a 6th round pick.
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:

What depth and rotation?

He is a liability on the field. He is pretty much the defenses version of Gabe Carimi.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. He was advertised as a rotational pass rusher on 3rd down plays. He's playing for 1st and 2nd down plays and is playing to his weakness of playing the run. Gabe Carimi was supposed to be a long term solution at the left tackle position and didn't pan out.

And you answered your own question as far as "what depth and rotation" At this time the way this injury plagued season is going there really isn't any depth, that's why shea is on the field so much.

He's in his 2nd season. Be patient. It's not solely his fault this defense is struggling. I'm sure if there was any kind of presence at the DT position and peppers was producing shea would be looking a lot better right now.

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that we're having him stand up. He's just seems far more comfortable standing up even when rushing the passer. I'm still on the move the Sam bandwagon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/30/bruce-irvin-move-to-linebacker-saved-my-career/

An article about Bruce Irvin saying that the move to SLB saved his career.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:

What depth and rotation?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. He was advertised as a rotational pass rusher on 3rd down plays. He's playing for 1st and 2nd down plays and is playing to his weakness of playing the run. Gabe Carimi was supposed to be a long term solution at the left tackle position and didn't pan out.

And you answered your own question as far as "what depth and rotation" At this time the way this injury plagued season is going there really isn't any depth, that's why shea is on the field so much.

He's in his 2nd season. Be patient. It's not solely his fault this defense is struggling. I'm sure if there was any kind of presence at the DT position and peppers was producing shea would be looking a lot better right now.

We are talking about next season, when we would have a chance to replace him with better talent.

I understand that he has to play this season.

But I rewatched our last 2 games and not only did I not see flashes of talent and ability. I actually laughed out loud at how badly he was being beaten. Sometimes a bust just screams bust.
G08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy, you saw ZERO flashes of talent/ability?

Seriously?

No speed, athleticism, pressures... nothing?

Come on. I know we're watching the same games here.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Windy, you saw ZERO flashes of talent/ability?

Seriously?

No speed, athleticism, pressures... nothing?

Come on. I know we're watching the same games here.

Running straight up field and while getting blocked is not speed. Speed is the ability to get the edge on the OT.

What flashes have you seen?

I have seen nothing from him that I could not see from an UDFA. I semi play in 10 is unacceptable. I have seen more from David Bass on a consistent basis in the last couple do games. When your 1st round pick almost gets a pressure I do not count that as a flash.

It is time for Cornelius Washington to get some time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: