Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jarvis Jones benched
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Jarvis Jones benched Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/97148/tomlin-explains-benching-of-jarvis-jones

Quote:
“He’s just not doing enough detail work right now,” Tomlin said of Jones, “and really Jason Worilds is and that’s just the reality of it. Part of playing really good defense is having detail with your work and there’s more detail in Worilds’ work right now. Jarvis needs to continue to work. I think he’s open to that and we’re open to giving him an opportunity to do so.”

Translation - he's not making splash plays, and he's blowing assignments.

I liked the pick at first, and I don't think any pass rusher is set up to rack up sacks right now, but it's concerning watching him. It's usually something a guy flashes the physical ability to do, even as a rookie. His first step doesn't seem to be there.

An issue with first round whiffs - they tend to lead to compound mistakes in the draft. Say this year a tremendous pass rusher is sitting there when the Steelers are on the clock. Do they take him? What do you do with Jones, move him to ILB? Is he maybe best suited there anyway, if he doesn't have more ability to get after the QB? It's the sort of investment that teams loathe to give up on quickly.

It's early, but these are my early concerns right now.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the pick.

Had to keep from swearing at my (then) 11-year old daughter's clarinet recital. I tried drinking the Kool-Aid, but unfortunately, what we're seeing now is exactly what we saw in Georgia.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy struggled mightily his rookie year as well.

This doesnt worry me at all. Jones flashed plenty of ability despite your claims that he hasnt. He needs to get stronger and learn the defense. Not all rookies can have an immediate impact. I wish we drafted some that did, but it is what it is.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jones was struggling with coverage or the running game, I would expect that and understand the Troy reference people keep making. But when you are rushing the passer against a OT, shouldn't he be flashing a bit more? I'm hoping an off-season of NFL level weight training helps him, but I think it's pretty reasonable to be a bit concerned. And getting after the QB is that spot's primary purpose. Outside of the Chicago game, I haven't seen much in that area. He's not able to get the edge right now.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
chrisororke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
I hated the pick.

Had to keep from swearing at my (then) 11-year old daughter's clarinet recital. I tried drinking the Kool-Aid, but unfortunately, what we're seeing now is exactly what we saw in Georgia.

I like him inside. I too didn't like the pick. It was my least favorite of the first four picks and then a chunk of poo came with Landry Jones

The OT's are getting more athletic and likewise the DE/OLB, the best guys are normally long armed, quick, strong guys (like 25-30 rep guys) and I think Jarvis goes 0-3 there. Like Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, JD Clowney are the guys that work in that spot. However, he has such a nose for the ball I'd like to try him out at the Buck position which doesn't do as much covering as the Mac. Guards are easier to shed than say a 6'8" 320 guy where you try to get the edge on. He could be like an awesome version of Brandon Spikes in the middle

I think he could Kendrell Bell-esque, ahh, maybe not that good but he could be the best blitzing ILB we've had in a while. Maybe like a Chad Brown. I just picture some of the stunts we could use with his skill set in the middle

6'2" 245 with not a ton of speed gets neutralized by these guys in the NFL. At UGA he could get the edge on the guy by bending or a simple move, but these guys are just too big and fast. I'm sure some of the best OT's beat him in the 40. Though I guess we're more concerned with 10 yd splits and explosion off the ball
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep.

To be a truly effective pass rusher, you gotta have 1 (or preferably more) of 3 traits:

1. Speed/first step
2. Strength/leverage
3. Length

as you said, Jones is 0-3
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
yep.

To be a truly effective pass rusher, you gotta have 1 (or preferably more) of 3 traits:

1. Speed/first step
2. Strength/leverage
3. Length

Can't agree with this one.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing that Jason Worilds is doing enough detail work. Nevermind he hasn't made any plays since he's been on the team and isn't part of the future. The Steelers have just four interceptions and Jones' pressure was the direct result of two of them. The seasons in the crapper already so instead of letting him go through his rookie pains they bench him. It's too bad the stubbornness of the coaches not to play their young players and start planning for the future instead of going with has beens and never weres. Speaking of that maybe they should have traded for the OLB equivalent of Levi Brown.

Sure he could wind up being a bust but Polamalu, Timmons, and Woodley didn't make much of an impact either in their first seasons too. It's just seven games into his career. I definitely would like to see him work on his strength. There's been times where he is out of position but he never quits hustling to get back into the play. He does have areas to improve at but while I wish he could have come in and destroy the competition I haven't seen anything as of right now that makes me panic about his future with the team.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
chrisororke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
yep.

1. Speed/first step
2. Strength/leverage
3. Length

Because he didn't run at the combine, I can't find anything on his 10yd split time
chrisororke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Good thing that Jason Worilds is doing enough detail work. Nevermind he hasn't made any plays since he's been on the team and isn't part of the future. The Steelers have just four interceptions and Jones' pressure was the direct result of two of them. The seasons in the crapper already so instead of letting him go through his rookie pains they bench him. It's too bad the stubbornness of the coaches not to play their young players and start planning for the future instead of going with has beens and never weres. Speaking of that maybe they should have traded for the OLB equivalent of Levi Brown.

Sure he could wind up being a bust but Polamalu, Timmons, and Woodley didn't make much of an impact either in their first seasons too. It's just seven games into his career. I definitely would like to see him work on his strength. There's been times where he is out of position but he never quits hustling to get back into the play. He does have areas to improve at but while I wish he could have come in and destroy the competition I haven't seen anything as of right now that makes me panic about his future with the team.

Lol at the first sentence. Love Coach Tomlin pressers. It takes two to tango

Maybe he doesn't pay as much attention to detail as Worilds because when I was looking for Jones' 10 yard split I stumbled on he got a 13 on the wonderlic
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:

Good point about Jones pressure leading to the turnovers, and he still gets the bench. Nice one tomlin Rolling Eyes

Jones can be kept around as worilds will be gone and perhaps draft Mack or KVN3. I think the team should try to have 3 quality OLB's in this scheme in case of injury. KVN3 would fit the scheme well
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
I hated the pick.

Who did you want instead? If worilds leaves , could you see Mack or KVN3 being drafted by the steelers?
jcm412

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I was never big on the pick. He just lacks that explosiveness and doesn't play as fast as I would like. Now it the NFL he also lacks size and strength. Hopefully that can be developed. I have said it before, he will play ILB before he leaves here.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about the pick yet.

Initially, I really liked the pick actually, but other than a few big hits, what has he done? Let's not pretend Worilds is starting because he is SO much better, he's starting because Jones ISN'T so much better.

Who would we have taken instead? That's a tough question to answer, honestly, I have no idea. I do think its possible that we see Jarvis Jones moved inside next year and I do think it's possible that we could draft Khalil Mack.

I wouldn't hate it, in fact, think about what our LB Corps would then look like....jesus.. Woodley, Timmons, Jones, Mack..good lord..

The problem with our defense however, I have always felt, is development of players and I think we have that on both sides of the ball honestly.

IF for any reason Jarvis Jones doesn't pan out...Colbert really does need to lose his job. This will be a long series of early picks that have not ultimately panned out for the Steelers.

We have Holmes, who, while he was excellent here and helped us win a Super Bowl, ultimately got traded for peanutes because of character issues.

There was Plaxico Burress who was a walking character issue and took the first train to big money he could get.

There's Marcus Gilbert....

There's Limas Sweed & Curtis Brown

Rashard Mendenhall, Ziggy Hood

The jury is STILLLLL out on Cam because this is the first time we've got to see him in a true starter role.

The list goes on and on. Everyone talks about how great Colbert is at finding talent but the problem is the talent he's finding doesn't last very long on the Steelers' roster. The 'mainstays' are few and far between.

I mean look, sure Antonio Brown, Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley & Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, Heath Miller, & Ike Taylor have all worked out.

But honestly, that's where I stop the train. As much as I like Maurkice Pouncey, he hasn't been on the field for the last season and a half. We have no idea yet what we really have in DeCastro. We have no idea what we have in Adams because there's obviously a question about his work ethic.

We have nothing in Gilbert, we have nothing behind Ike and Allen (not counting Gay). Sanders has proven to be useless and who know whether we have anything in Wheaton or not.

Shamarko looks like he could turn into a great pick. Vince Williams I think will make for solid depth moving forward, I don't really see him being the starting ILB next to Timmons but I could be wrong.

Behind Heath, we have nothing at all. Let's be honest, our roster situation is a mess and as much as people want to talk about all these other factors, it does, really, come back to drafting and the fact that as much as people praise Colbert, he really hasn't done THAT great of a job.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!

Last edited by wwhickok on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
yep.

1. Speed/first step
2. Strength/leverage
3. Length

1 or more. Not all 3.

Obviously speed/first step is something that guys like Freeney and Abraham have. I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: