Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Prospect Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTOW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Prospect Debate Reply with quote

Figured we could use something to talk about with the extra week so I figured making a thread where we could debate our feelings of prospects at certain positional groups.

I'll start with the TE position:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins
6'6 265
Big athletic TE that many people have fallen in love with. He is an excellent pass catcher and a good route runner. Needs some refining but shows potential to be a good blocker. Doesn't have great speed and isn't an overly fluid athlete. Not saying he will be as good as him but he does have similarities to Gronkowski.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyhk5A3iRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_OwXL6Rqtk

Eric Ebron
6'4 250
Not quite as big as Seferian-Jenkins but he is an athletic freak. Very fluid athlete for someone with his build. Has the speed to beat almost any LB and the size to overpower DBs. I think he has vastly improved his catching ability. Makes plays that leave you going wow. Not as refined as Seferian-Jenkins but in my opinion has a higher ceiling. I see him and think he can be what everyone thought Jermichael Finley should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3-rEZT1ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkWifHC78s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXB1OUFWY6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1gWxZVfN4

Overall, I think Sefarian-Jenkins has a higher floor but Ebron has a higher ceiling. I think Jenkins is a bigger, more refined player that is more well rounded as a blocker and a receiver. Ebron on the other hand is smaller with more athleticism and is the better receiver. Ebron is a WR in a TE body. I think if I had a choice I would take Ebron because I think he would really fit well in our scheme.
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally a fan of guys who have supposed "higher ceilings" just because I feel as if you're confident in your ability as a coach/team you'll be able to tap that given players potential. But it really depends on what our depth chart looks like, regarding the tight end position of course, as to who I would take since both of them looked very impressive on those highlights. Looking at our tight ends right now (Williams, Pettigrew, and fauria) I might go with Ebron because I love the fact that he's such a dynamic pass-catcher; looks just like a receiver on some plays. We KIND OF had that receiver/tight end hybrid guy with scheffler but he's gone and ebron would do a better-than-adequate job of filling that spot. However, if we did take Seferian-Jenkins instead I wouldn't be displeased at all. I like how after each catch (namely the one at 2:35 in the first vid) he looks to get up the field rather than simply falling down or lunging forward like how many players tend to do. He also has some gronk similarities as you alluded to. A few of those catches and runs were very reminiscent of that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ASJ. He reminds me of Antonio Gates where Ebron reminds me of Jared Cook/ Jermichael Finley.

I guess pick your poison but I like the size and overall ability Austin Seferian-Jenkins brings.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Ebron for me.

My biggest knock on him coming into the year was letting some passes get away from him and his concentration to bring in contested catches and he's fixed those issues. He's already so versatile, lining up out wide, in the slot, as a traditional in-line blocker, and in the backfield as a HB. He's pretty much the complete package IMO.

And he doesn't come with any known off-field concerns.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both. ASJ is very similar to Brandon Pettigrew but has better body control. Doesn't drop as many passes either.

Eric Ebron is very similar to a Julius Thomas/Jimmy Graham type TE. He is an outstanding receiver at TE and is a top athlete as well. He could improve his blocking, but it isn't as bad as you usually see with the WR type TE's.

R.I.P. Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
ASJ is very similar to Brandon Pettigrew

AND....ruined

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiffleballtony wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
ASJ is very similar to Brandon Pettigrew

AND....ruined

haha I almost considered comparing him to Grew but I think he is more athletic and is much more of a pass catcher than Grew is.

I'm not saying that I necessarily want to draft Ebron but I do like him more as a prospect and I do think that Ebron would be a nightmare in our offense. The reason I made this thread was to discuss multiple positions as well as position that are a need for us.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron would be my choice but don't wanna waste first on TE
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace Amaro
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Ebron would be my choice but don't wanna waste first on TE

Ebron for me as well but as you said I don't think I would use a first to take him even though it would take a first to get him.

A great pass catching TE would be huge for our offense though. I'm really torn but if there is a solid CB or LB available I would probably take that route depending on how some of our D players develop in the second half.
EhJae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me the faster prospect with better hands and without the "off the field problems".

I'll take Ebron.

If Sammy Watkins isn't available, I would have no problem with Detroit cutting ties with Grew and selecting the versatile TE.
#71 Riley Reiff
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EhJae wrote:
Give me the faster prospect with better hands and without the "off the field problems".

I'll take Ebron.

If Sammy Watkins isn't available, I would have no problem with Detroit cutting ties with Grew and selecting the versatile TE.

Pettigrew is a FA and simply not worth the $ attached to his inconsistent play. I think there are a couple FA guys out there I would take compared to wasting a 1st rounder on TE.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other TEs that I really like (can't think of there names or spell) is the one from Texas Tech and the one from Iowa. Both are good options. I think the one from Texas Tech is a first rounder and possibly the first one off the board while I think the kid from Iowa goes anywhere from 2nd to 4th.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stafford=legend wrote:
I'm generally a fan of guys who have supposed "higher ceilings" just because I feel as if you're confident in your ability as a coach/team you'll be able to tap that given players potential. But it really depends on what our depth chart looks like, regarding the tight end position of course, as to who I would take since both of them looked very impressive on those highlights. Looking at our tight ends right now (Williams, Pettigrew, and fauria) I might go with Ebron because I love the fact that he's such a dynamic pass-catcher; looks just like a receiver on some plays. We KIND OF had that receiver/tight end hybrid guy with scheffler but he's gone and ebron would do a better-than-adequate job of filling that spot. However, if we did take Seferian-Jenkins instead I wouldn't be displeased at all. I like how after each catch (namely the one at 2:35 in the first vid) he looks to get up the field rather than simply falling down or lunging forward like how many players tend to do. He also has some gronk similarities as you alluded to. A few of those catches and runs were very reminiscent of that.

I'm not picking on you its just I keep hearing commentators talk about the bolded.

I think its a really over played statement that has very limited meaning. Its a fancy way of saying the guy should end up as a better player.

The term, "ceiling," just makes me chuckle. In listening to some of these analysts I've seen them asked point blank why player X has a higher ceiling and it pretty much drew a blank stare as a response.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: