Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Breaking: Patriots acquire Eagles DT Isaac Sopoaga
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Quote:
"@MikeReiss: Random thought: Two years in a row the Patriots have acquired a player from team in which they held joint practices with in training camp."

Next August:

"OK, Bill. Lets just do this now. Who do you want?"

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not an especially good player, but his niche is exactly what the Pats need right now.

They got him in return for trading down about half a round from the late fifth into the early-mid 6th and are paying him half a million this year, but my biggest question right now is that $1M in guaranteed salary that he supposedly has next season. I can't see getting that full $3.75M, so it might be a situation where he's cut but the Pats pay him $1M anyway.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
He's not an especially good player, but his niche is exactly what the Pats need right now.

They got him in return for trading down about half a round from the late fifth into the early-mid 6th and are paying him half a million this year, but my biggest question right now is that $1M in guaranteed salary that he supposedly has next season. I can't see getting that full $3.75M, so it might be a situation where he's cut but the Pats pay him $1M anyway.

The good news is that we now have some sort of Wilfork insurance policy for next year, if he cannot play right away for whatever reason.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Sciz wrote:

The good news is that we now have some sort of Wilfork insurance policy for next year, if he cannot play right away for whatever reason.

To be honest, I doubt Sopogoa is around next year. Barring a total rejuvenation, I expect him to be released before/just after the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Sciz wrote:

I doubt you'll keep him around after this year. Sopoaga's contract is kind of big for what he brings, and his skillset is very replaceable late in the draft or even UDFA.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pickup IMO.

Even if the guy's skillset/level of play isn't great....just having a huge body to clog the middle will help big time.

Sig credit: Deadpulse
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the assumption is that he will take Vellano's snaps, but it wouldn't surprise me if Vellano gets more 1st and 2nd down snaps than Chris Jones.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I know the assumption is that he will take Vellano's snaps, but it wouldn't surprise me if Vellano gets more 1st and 2nd down snaps than Chris Jones.
...I feel like I just heard someone in a position of power say "nucular".

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Sopoaga. He missed the Halloween party!
Richter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when I scouted him way back and had him as a potential fit as a guy that could play multiple positions in a 30 front. Like the move, cheap and necessary.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Jones has been really bad at times in the run game. He might be a better overall player than Vellano (of whom, I'm no fan) but it's possible they view Jones - not Vellano - as the weak link in run D.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Jones has been really bad at times in the run game. He might be a better overall player than Vellano (of whom, I'm no fan) but it's possible they view Jones - not Vellano - as the weak link in run D.
Well, hopefully Kelly comes back soon so this becomes a moot point.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
PoWww

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I'd like to see Vellano and Sopoaga and replace Vellano with Jones on passing downs. I think Jones has the potential to be a good player in this league and a possible steal by Belichick and co.

Can't wait for our defense to have Kelly and Talib back as well.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:
Looking forward to a Top 10 pick this year.
terbo559

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fell in love for the first time ever. I love this move. The guy has always been a good run stopper.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under the radar move that could pay big dividends. In a defensive unit that is actually good, he should be solid.

Sigs-Taking Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: