Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You are what you are
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are what you eat!

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:

Quote:
You are what you eat!

I remember those commercials!

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
You guys need to work on your satire. You have to actually understand the points you're mocking to do it right.

No we don't. We can regurgitate the same worthless crap that's been tossed at us for years under almost any situation. Why? Because empty rhetoric is the homers' "go to" mantra.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/10/29/5043574/nfl-power-rankings-summary-week-9-how-far-will-the-cowboys-drop#comments

Our average power ranking is 10-12. I think that's exactly right.

How watered down is the league, when we are a top ten team.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/10/29/5043574/nfl-power-rankings-summary-week-9-how-far-will-the-cowboys-drop#comments

It's crazy, really. All of the RBs in the NFL have sucked this year. Just. Odd.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
You guys need to work on your satire. You have to actually understand the points you're mocking to do it right.

No we don't. We can regurgitate the same worthless crap that's been tossed at us for years under almost any situation. Why? Because empty rhetoric is the homers' "go to" mantra.

And continuous bishing is yours. Both the homerism and haterism get old after a while. Almost makes it not worth coming here sometimes.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

We are one of the only teams that can compete with anyone in the league - even if we find embarrassing ways to lose against teams with winning records.

Last edited by Matts4313 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
Northland wrote:
We have all seen in a number of sports a team that is like Dallas as described in this post. Besides staying healthy what does this team need to do to learn to put games away, and take that next step?

i think our whole team is scared in the closing minutes of close games....especially when trying to hold a lead.....doesn't seem like we ever actually have a plan.....and far too often we play NOT TO LOSE......we need to show some balls....period.....we don't have a good defense...we've given up 400 yards 4 times so far this year......in EIGHT games.....so why would we put ourselves in a position to kick it back to detroit.....when clearly tony and the offense are our only chance at closing out that game?.....sunday was just one example too
I totally disagree. The only problem in Detroit was not kneeling on 3rd down and allowing the penalty. I immediately suggested in chat that the course of action was three runs and a FG. I think Garrett played that right and a dumb penalty and dumber secondary play cost us an epic collapse.

The FG attempt would have been 50+ yards, Garrett would have punted and made Detroit go 45 years in 35 seconds for a FG instead of 80 yards in 1:03 for a TD - I don't like our odds in either case given what we saw Sunday...

I REALLY would have like our odds of making Detriot go 45 years in 35 seconds. Unless Marty McFly is secretly a lions fan... I'd say our odds were certainly better than average. I won't say 100% because its very possible JG still would have found a way to lose.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this posted by NAV22 on another website. I dont know where it goes, but I thought it was interesting none the less.

Quote:
Ware, Wilcox, Claiborne, Austin, Waters, Spencer, Ratliff. That's seven projected starters entering the season. How many other teams are going to be down that many starters this week?

That's not even counting Murray and Church, who are coming off injuries and might be playing at less than 100%.

My optimism for the season isn't waning because we've lost a few close games vs. good teams. The fact that we can seemingly play with anybody is really the one thing that GIVES me optimism. Say what you will about Jason Garrett, the team plays hard for him.

My optimism's waning because, once again, we're getting royally screwed by the injury gods. There's only so many "next man ups" a team can take before the wheels fall off and they're no longer contenders, and it feels like we're already close to hitting that limit.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone who wants to make the argument that we were better the first half of last season than we were the first half of this season?
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Is there anyone who wants to make the argument that we were better the first half of last season than we were the first half of this season?

Like the title of this thread states... you are what you are. Or, as Parcells used to say, "You are what your record says you are." Our record says we are a .500 team that's leading the division.

But, I also think time is running out on Jason Garrett to do something more. The whole reason that Jerry is mortgaging against future caps is because he is expecting more. Certainly, more and more of the fan base is starting to turn against Garrett (definitely moreso than last year). And, last year... Jerry Jones was nothing but supportive publicly of Jason Garrett. Just this week, when Jerry was asked about this season, he said:

Quote:
I'm disappointed. I take no solace in the fact that we had our losses to teams that were by a point or less

Rumor had it last year that Jerry went to meet the Jon Gruden at the end of the year. If he was exploring his options last year, I gotta think that the pressure is even greater this year.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Tony7188

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
Northland wrote:
We have all seen in a number of sports a team that is like Dallas as described in this post. Besides staying healthy what does this team need to do to learn to put games away, and take that next step?

i think our whole team is scared in the closing minutes of close games....especially when trying to hold a lead.....doesn't seem like we ever actually have a plan.....and far too often we play NOT TO LOSE......we need to show some balls....period.....we don't have a good defense...we've given up 400 yards 4 times so far this year......in EIGHT games.....so why would we put ourselves in a position to kick it back to detroit.....when clearly tony and the offense are our only chance at closing out that game?.....sunday was just one example too
I totally disagree. The only problem in Detroit was not kneeling on 3rd down and allowing the penalty. I immediately suggested in chat that the course of action was three runs and a FG. I think Garrett played that right and a dumb penalty and dumber secondary play cost us an epic collapse.

The FG attempt would have been 50+ yards, Garrett would have punted and made Detroit go 45 years in 35 seconds for a FG instead of 80 yards in 1:03 for a TD - I don't like our odds in either case given what we saw Sunday...

Is it crazy to think that if we had went for it on 4th down, we could have actually picked it up

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Like the title of this thread states... you are what you are. Or, as Parcells used to say, "You are what your record says you are." Our record says we are a .500 team that's leading the division.

But, I also think time is running out on Jason Garrett to do something more. The whole reason that Jerry is mortgaging against future caps is because he is expecting more. Certainly, more and more of the fan base is starting to turn against Garrett (definitely moreso than last year). And, last year... Jerry Jones was nothing but supportive publicly of Jason Garrett. Just this week, when Jerry was asked about this season, he said:

Quote:
I'm disappointed. I take no solace in the fact that we had our losses to teams that were by a point or less

Rumor had it last year that Jerry went to meet the Jon Gruden at the end of the year. If he was exploring his options last year, I gotta think that the pressure is even greater this year.

I doubt Gruden would leave the broadcast booth to coach again anyway. He enjoys his gig, and got to call it quits as a coach at the right time.

Besides, in the NFL history, no coach has won a super bowl with two different teams. The odds would be against this team winning one if we were to hire Gruden.

The big thing in today's NFL is new takes on old philosophies utilizing young coaches. Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, etc etc all had great success putting a new era take on a very old style. And all were relatively young for a HC when they took over their teams.

Jason Garrett DID fit the bill, but not every coach like that works out. Garrett, up to this point, is showing he is more like Josh McDaniel than Sean Payton.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this deeper and I think the whole thing distills down to a wonderful lesson on why QB play is the most important aspect of the game.

I have a detailed article up at cowboysnation on this, but let me fill you in on the particulars:

I mentioned the QB numbers here earlier. There's a clear disconnect in pass defense strictly based on QB performance. But here's some further food for thought:
4 games against top QBs - 5 sacks, 7 INT.
4 games against mediocre QBs - 16 sacks, 4INT and three of those by Matt Barkley at the end of the Eagles game.

Clearly top QBs are willing to let the ball go early and we can get picks that way (7 INT matches last year's full season total!) and they don't take the sacks because of their decisive play. Weaker QBs are less decisive and put up low yardage, less than a TD per game, and take a lot of sacks, but don't turn the ball over. Nick Foles is the premiere example here. It's very obvious that this is the case.

What's less obvious is the HUGE effect that this has on the rest of the game. 3 of the 4 good rushing games against us came from those big QB performances. The Giants and Redskins swap because the Giants abandoned the run when they got down (14 carries) and the Skins kept going back to it (33 carries, 4 for 39 + a penalty play in the 4th qtr down two scores). Otherwise there's a very clear lesson-- teams run against Dallas by passing against Dallas and getting the defense on its heels.

Even more stunning, the results simply speak for themselves:
top tier QB points scored: 31, 30, 51, 31, for an average of 35.75 per game

lesser QBs points scored: 16, 7, 16, 3, for an average of 10.5 points per game.

It's all there in black and white.

I believe, too that this can explain our offensive situation as well. The QBs who can make the daring throws are successful, but turn the ball over. Romo, I believe, has been coached to play it close to the vest for the most part. He's picking spots to make those tight throws and generally playing like the weaker QBs most times so as not to turn the ball over... and Dez gets left without the ball at many of these times. The sudden "why haven't they done that all along?" bursts of offense come when Romo takes a few risks and plays like one of the top tier QBs. when he makes quick decisive throws into tight windows (which he absolutely can do... his throw to Dez on the 50 yd TD was a thing of beauty-- watch Broaddus' breakdown video of it!) the offense explodes. But this also leave them open to turnovers because if anything goes wrong with those throws it's a pick (see Denver game, where getting tangled with Tyron Smith greatly affected the outcome of one of these throws).

We're actually getting what we asked for: a Romo who plays bus driver most of the time, but turns on the gunslinger at choice moments. It just doesn't look like what we thought it would. This is why we have boring but dominant performances against weak teams (Skins, Eagles), close games against good teams (Chiefs, Detroit) and exciting shoot outs with Denver.

It's all so very clear... and, I believe, by design. I feel very confident about this team going forward, that you'll see them continue the pattern of strong games against weaker opponents and close games against stronger ones. I predict 10-6, with close losses at New Orleans and at home against Green Bay. And I predict a good performance in a playoff game assuming (knocking on wood) that there's no further serious injury to a key player (like Romo, Lee, or Hatcher)

further, if I'm right, I'll bet that Drew Brees and Eli Manning are the only QBs who have multi-pick games against us the rest of the year... unless Vick plays against us week 17.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
We're actually getting what we asked for: a Romo who plays bus driver most of the time, but turns on the gunslinger at choice moments. It just doesn't look like what we thought it would. This is why we have boring but dominant performances against weak teams (Skins, Eagles), close games against good teams (Chiefs, Detroit) and exciting shoot outs with Denver.

I'm sorry but who exactly asked for this? 3 of the 4 losses I attribute primarily to Romo being neutered in this offense. Here's the thing... Apparently the coaches want to turn Romo into Alex Smith. But the Cowboys don't have the chiefs running game or defense. The ONLY thing going for this offense is Romo and a nice set of receiving threats. That's it. If anything, this demonstrates how truly out of touch the coaching staff is with not only the offense but the NFL in general.

Quote:
It's all so very clear... and, I believe, by design. I feel very confident about this team going forward, that you'll see them continue the pattern of strong games against weaker opponents and close games against stronger ones. I predict 10-6, with close losses at New Orleans and at home against Green Bay. And I predict a good performance in a playoff game assuming (knocking on wood) that there's no further serious injury to a key player (like Romo, Lee, or Hatcher)

Dirk no offense, but you were very confident last year. You were very confident the year before and the year before. That's part of your charm... You are always very confident in the cowboys no matter how many time they knee you in the groin.

A lot of things would have to go right for the cowboys to win 10 games (Cutler misses game in Chicago, Eli plays poorly in NY, and RGIII is not fully healthy in DC). The most likely scenario is 8-8. Catch a break here or there I could see 9-7.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: