Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You are what you are
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: You are what you are Reply with quote

What are the 2013 Dallas Cowboys halfway?

They manifestly are NOT a team that plays down to it's competition, as is popular to say around here.

They are 3-1 at home, 1-3 on the road. They are 4-0 against teams with losing records. They are 0-4 against teams with winning records.

Wins by 5 (but with 12 pt lead at 0:12 to play), 24, 15, and 14 against teams with a combined record of 10-21.

Losses by 1, 9, 2, and 1, against teams with a combined record of 24-7.

They are a team that dominates weaker competition and is routinely in the game in the 4th quarter against stronger competition but has come up short every time thus far. Nonetheless, they have carried the two best teams in the NFL right now (if you disagree, certainly 2 of the top 4) right to the wire.

They are a defense that shuts down weaker QBs (91/172, 918, 3TD, 4INT, 64.5 rating) and gives up huge yardage to, but still picks off, stronger ones (128/174, 1753, 12TD, 7INT, 111.59 rating, at least 1 INT in every game). A team that is dead last in passing yards given up, but #18 in passer rating against and #17 in points per game.

They are badly injured, having lost more games to starters so far this year than even last year, yet they are a game better, are playing better special teams, are better in the red zone, are generating more turnovers, and have much better division and conference records.

They are a team that has 5 games remaining against teams with losing records and 3 games against teams with winning records. Last year at this time Romo put the team on his back and went on a tear of the best football we've seen a Dallas QB play, which was promptly forgotten in the wake of his 4th qtr INT against the Redskins. Last year at this time, the team also began to lose players at an increased rate and had no bye week to attempt to recover them. This year we are also losing players but, unlike last year, the injuries have been less severe and we've experienced better play from our back ups. We also have a bye week coming up to help with some of the healing.

What is in the future for this team? Likely it is what it is: headed for 9-7 or 10-6, a division championship and a home playoff game. I hope it's against Detroit, because it would be nice to have that game as a do over.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a pretty fair assessment of the team.

We still lack depth. But to a degree, that is expected with a major rebuild like the one Garrett has done.

At the end of the day, we should not be an 8-8 team. We need to do better.
cowboys_50

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as win our division games we will have a home playoff game
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have all seen in a number of sports a team that is like Dallas as described in this post. Besides staying healthy what does this team need to do to learn to put games away, and take that next step?
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
We have all seen in a number of sports a team that is like Dallas as described in this post. Besides staying healthy what does this team need to do to learn to put games away, and take that next step?

i think our whole team is scared in the closing minutes of close games....especially when trying to hold a lead.....doesn't seem like we ever actually have a plan.....and far too often we play NOT TO LOSE......we need to show some balls....period.....we don't have a good defense...we've given up 400 yards 4 times so far this year......in EIGHT games.....so why would we put ourselves in a position to kick it back to detroit.....when clearly tony and the offense are our only chance at closing out that game?.....sunday was just one example too

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think players like Tyron Smith, Morris Claiborne, Jakar Hamilton and Terrance Williams need to grow a little more. they are all young players whose mistakes (though if you ask me, Claiborne's PI against KC was ticky tack at best) caused issues with close games.

I think Romo needs to play better down the stretch and rely more on his studs and less on his open read-- let Dez and Witt make more plays. I think he's playing too cautiously right now... And the team is almost, but not quite capable of allowing him to be a bus driver. Think Terrance Williams needs to continue to be a factor. I think the return of Ware and Austin in health makes this team much better. I think we've established the run enough that more play action is in order. I think I want to see more nickel/man/church in the box that we saw against the eagles and I think the return of Wilcox is important for that reason. I think we need to stay away from traditional cover two.

Just my opinions. I are not a geniuses.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
Northland wrote:

i think our whole team is scared in the closing minutes of close games....especially when trying to hold a lead.....doesn't seem like we ever actually have a plan.....and far too often we play NOT TO LOSE......we need to show some balls....period.....we don't have a good defense...we've given up 400 yards 4 times so far this year......in EIGHT games.....so why would we put ourselves in a position to kick it back to detroit.....when clearly tony and the offense are our only chance at closing out that game?.....sunday was just one example too
I totally disagree. The only problem in Detroit was not kneeling on 3rd down and allowing the penalty. I immediately suggested in chat that the course of action was three runs and a FG. I think Garrett played that right and a dumb penalty and dumber secondary play cost us an epic collapse.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:

The answer to that question comes down to "team identity." IMO this what Dallas still lacks or at least lacks confidence in. Teams need to have a "to go" to seal a game. The Cowboys under Jimmy was Emmitt Smith. They would the ball in his hands with the game on the line. The Giants under Parcells would rely on their defense to close out a game... They just needed their offense to be good enough to get a lead. The really good teams in the NFL have an identity and build around that identity.

This is one of the main reasons I wanted Garrett gone last year. He's gone back and forth between ZBS and PBS. He's gone from liberating Romo to handcuffing Romo. From 3-4 to 4-3. So, what would improve the team? Get an identity and build the team til it's elite at what the coach wants to accomplish as his top priority.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Northland wrote:

The answer to that question comes down to "team identity." IMO this what Dallas still lacks or at least lacks confidence in. Teams need to have a "to go" to seal a game. The Cowboys under Jimmy was Emmitt Smith. They would the ball in his hands with the game on the line. The Giants under Parcells would rely on their defense to close out a game... They just needed their offense to be good enough to get a lead. The really good teams in the NFL have an identity and build around that identity.

This is one of the main reasons I wanted Garrett gone last year. He's gone back and forth between ZBS and PBS. He's gone from liberating Romo to handcuffing Romo. From 3-4 to 4-3. So, what would improve the team? Get an identity and build the team til it's elite at what the coach wants to accomplish as his top priority.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Northland wrote:

Slam, stop being so bloody patronizing. Why are you limiting your expectations to something as trivial as "identity"? Can't you be more open minded to the notion that football isn't everything, that these guys have lives, and that losing games just isn't the end of the world? Even Jerry said that they earned moral victories before and openly expressed how proud he is of their performances over the years. Why can't you be happy, too? Why do you always need to be so negative? Why are you such a pessimist?

Clearly, this "go to", or as you put it, "to go", person is irrational at best, and utterly meaningless at worst. Have you not noticed that these players are all the "to go" kinds of guys? I'm sure they've all asked each other, "Hey dude, where do you want 'to go' to dinner after this afternoon's loss?" If you think that missing out on a fine steak at a 5-Star Texas steakhouse following a game isn't what helps create a team's identity, then you sir, are dead wrong...and obviously, an idiot.

I'm so sick of people like you constantly berating these humble gentlemen with your petty and selfish level of expectation. You know, winning. Why can't you support these men for the happy-go-lucky, footloose and fancy free, loser millionaire they are? Stop this mindless belief that they have any interest in winning. It's just a game. Remember?

If you're always angry with this team, why do you root for them?

The message was certainly not brought to you by the DCRA or any avid supporter of Pat McQuistan.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Northland wrote:

Slam, stop being so bloody patronizing. Why are you limiting your expectations to something as trivial as "identity"? Can't you be more open minded to the notion that football isn't everything, that these guys have lives, and that losing games just isn't the end of the world? Even Jerry said that they earned moral victories before and openly expressed how proud he is of their performances over the years. Why can't you be happy, too? Why do you always need to be so negative? Why are you such a pessimist?

Clearly, this "go to", or as you put it, "to go", person is irrational at best, and utterly meaningless at worst. Have you not noticed that these players are all the "to go" kinds of guys? I'm sure they've all asked each other, "Hey dude, where do you want 'to go' to dinner after this afternoon's loss?" If you think that missing out on a fine steak at a 5-Star Texas steakhouse following a game isn't what helps create a team's identity, then you sir, are dead wrong...and obviously, an idiot.

I'm so sick of people like you constantly berating these humble gentlemen with your petty and selfish level of expectation. You know, winning. Why can't you support these men for the happy-go-lucky, footloose and fancy free, loser millionaire they are? Stop this mindless belief that they have any interest in winning. It's just a game. Remember?

If you're always angry with this team, why do you root for them?

The message was certainly not brought to you by the DCRA or any avid supporter of Pat McQuistan.

Fine. I'll tell you what. I'll even be the guy to take them out and buy the steak dinner. I'll put it on my credit card. See, if there's one thing I learned from Jerry is that there is no need to buy today what I can pay interest on tomorrow.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to work on your satire. You have to actually understand the points you're mocking to do it right.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/10/29/5043574/nfl-power-rankings-summary-week-9-how-far-will-the-cowboys-drop#comments

Our average power ranking is 10-12. I think that's exactly right.
TheGame316

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
Northland wrote:

I totally disagree. The only problem in Detroit was not kneeling on 3rd down and allowing the penalty. I immediately suggested in chat that the course of action was three runs and a FG. I think Garrett played that right and a dumb penalty and dumber secondary play cost us an epic collapse.

The FG attempt would have been 50+ yards, Garrett would have punted and made Detroit go 45 years in 35 seconds for a FG instead of 80 yards in 1:03 for a TD - I don't like our odds in either case given what we saw Sunday...
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame316 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
Northland wrote:

I totally disagree. The only problem in Detroit was not kneeling on 3rd down and allowing the penalty. I immediiately suggested in chat that the course of action was three runs and a FG. I think Garrett played that right and a dumb penalty and dumber secondary play cost us an epic collapse.

The FG attempt would have been 50+ yards, Garrett would have punted and made Detroit go 45 years in 35 seconds for a FG instead of 80 yards in 1:03 for a TD - I don't like our odds in either case given what we saw Sunday...
my point is not that kneeling was the only solution, but that playing it safe there was the right call. Any incompletion stops the clock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: