Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential Draft Dilemma
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you do?
Clowney it is!!
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Draft pick compensation for Clowney!!
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Mariota!! (if he declares)
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Hundley!! (if he declares)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Potential Draft Dilemma Reply with quote

The way I see things, Jaguars could go 0-16 and have the #2 overall pick with Tampa Bay having a weaker schedule and also and 0-16 record. This would obviously suck enormously and would likely create a major dilemma.

Personally, regardless of which (if any) of the redshirt sophomore QBs declare, I try my hardest to move out of the spot with a team that wants to grab Clowney.

How about you? Do you think Mariota or Hundley is deserving of the #2 overall pick and potentially passing on Clowney or draft pick compensation you can get from a team that wants to move up for Clowney?
Luke1592

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best case scenario, Tampa fire Greg Schiano and they beat either Miami, Atlanta, Buffalo or St Louis.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Clowney. And we embark on a mission to tank next year to the extreme, and actually get our QB.

Maybe take a flier on a 2nd/3rd round QB this year. But this team isn't going to be what most of us really want it to be until we hit on that legitimate 'franchise QB'. And if we miss out on Bridgewater because the universe hates us and karma wants to kick us in the shins for some reason...I honestly just don't see another QB worth a #2 pick.

Mariota is worth looking at i guess, but there's just so many questions about him.

Hundley is just...not very good, at least at this point. I'm skeptical he'll ever develop into an 'elite' QB even if he goes back to college for the extra year of development he badly needs.

There's just nothing.

And while ransoming the #2 pick off to a team hard after Clowney is appealing in some regards...if we truly want to get our 'franchise QB' next year...i'd really prefer we just get the potential monster on the DL and not patch several holes that takes us out of top QB territory next year.
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowney is well ahead of any of the QBs as a prospect. Grab him and take a guy like Sean Mannion in the second round if he is there. I don't see any single great quarterback prospect in this draft, but there is quantity and lots to choose from in the first couple rounds by the look of it. I think you have just as much chance of success with the fifth or sixth QB drafted as the first.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
I don't see any single great quarterback prospect in this draft
Then maybe you should actually watch Teddy.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think cry should be an option in the poll...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

It really is the only viable option in this scenario.
Jags

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

It really is the only viable option in this scenario.

Crying time ended a long time ago. It was time to cry when Del Rio just gave up on this team.

Now it is time to get angry!

If we do not draft Clowney or Bridgewater, then we better come away with 2 first round picks and they both better still be in college!

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
Vino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't the number 1 pick and miss out on Bridgewater, then we shouldn't reach for a QB. We should draft Clowney with the second pick. None of the other QBs in this draft are worth a top 2 pick, not even Mariota (who is overhyped as hell at this point by dumbasses like Kiper just because Oregon is doing well and he has raw talent). Caldwell has already shown he won't reach, which is good.

But there's still the chance that if Tampa gets the first pick, they may decide Glennon is good enough and draft Clowney over Bridgewater.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to address why I think both Mariota and Clowney do not make sense at #2.

Mariota: As I think we all agree, 'franchise QB' is the #1 priority this coming offseason. When a guy with the overall skillset and ability of Mariota comes along, it would make sense that a team needing a franchise QB take him, right? WRONG!!! Mariota is the kind of QB who makes sense for a team that is a QB away from competing, kind of like the Chiefs were last year and I think teams like the Browns and Vikings could find themselves this coming year. Mariota is a guy who, like Gabbert, I think benefits from sitting a year. Having said that, he will not be sitting if he gets taken so high, so it is in his and his new team's best interest to have him n a situation where there is ample talent on the 53 man roster. I hate to say it, but the Jaguars can not really offer that. To be honest, I think Mariota becomes another Gabbert if he were to be taken at #2. (While I assume a trade down would be for Clowney, a trade for Mariota could also happen, and that could net a swap of 1's with an additional 1 and even multiple 2's)

Clowney: Clowney is a beast, and what Luck was to offense in the 2012 draft, Clowney is to defense in the 2014 draft. By that logic he should be worth the pick for the Jaguars, yet he is not for a few reasons. First of all he plays DE, so the comparison to Luck fails there. Second, if you think about why the Jaguars roster is so lacking, I think you have to consider just how terrible they have been at drafting. You build a team through the draft and when your early round picks stink or find themselves in constant trouble, and your middle and late round guys, who should make up the depth, all stink, you are screwed!! So if this team wants to get good, they NEED to grab draft picks in early and middle rounds. When one considers what a good team needing a pass rush would give up to grab Clowney, I think the impact of the players taken with those picks far exceeds what one DE would do for this team in the grand scheme of things.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if we can't get Teddy I say we give Gabby another year
see if he's the guy, y'know

I hate the Jaguars
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Teddy goes #1 and we don't take Mariota or Clowney at #2 then somebody is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Vino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagsFanInNY wrote:
I just want to address why I think both Mariota and Clowney do not make sense at #2.

Mariota: As I think we all agree, 'franchise QB' is the #1 priority this coming offseason. When a guy with the overall skillset and ability of Mariota comes along, it would make sense that a team needing a franchise QB take him, right? WRONG!!! Mariota is the kind of QB who makes sense for a team that is a QB away from competing, kind of like the Chiefs were last year and I think teams like the Browns and Vikings could find themselves this coming year. Mariota is a guy who, like Gabbert, I think benefits from sitting a year. Having said that, he will not be sitting if he gets taken so high, so it is in his and his new team's best interest to have him n a situation where there is ample talent on the 53 man roster. I hate to say it, but the Jaguars can not really offer that. To be honest, I think Mariota becomes another Gabbert if he were to be taken at #2. (While I assume a trade down would be for Clowney, a trade for Mariota could also happen, and that could net a swap of 1's with an additional 1 and even multiple 2's)

Clowney: Clowney is a beast, and what Luck was to offense in the 2012 draft, Clowney is to defense in the 2014 draft. By that logic he should be worth the pick for the Jaguars, yet he is not for a few reasons. First of all he plays DE, so the comparison to Luck fails there. Second, if you think about why the Jaguars roster is so lacking, I think you have to consider just how terrible they have been at drafting. You build a team through the draft and when your early round picks stink or find themselves in constant trouble, and your middle and late round guys, who should make up the depth, all stink, you are screwed!! So if this team wants to get good, they NEED to grab draft picks in early and middle rounds. When one considers what a good team needing a pass rush would give up to grab Clowney, I think the impact of the players taken with those picks far exceeds what one DE would do for this team in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with this. If we miss out on Bridgewater I'd rather we not reach for Mariota, who may not declare at all in the first place, and hold a king's ransom for Clowney if the Bucs pass on him. I can see us getting an 2 first round picks, and extra second rounders as well, if not future picks too. I can totally see a team like Arizona who is a pass rush away from contending in the NFC making a deal like that.

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
If Teddy goes #1 and we don't take Mariota or Clowney at #2 then somebody is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Did you read JagsFan's post? I think it makes a lot of sense. We shouldn't reach for Mariota or Clowney just because the consensus is they're great talents. Especially Mariota. I'd actually be upset with Caldwell if he makes the same mistake as Gene Smith and wastes a top 10 pick on a QB who isn't NFL ready when our team is a dumpster fire with multiple needs that could be addressed in the first round.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read his post, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I think Marcus Mariota is an NFL-ready QB. He may not have the same immediate success as an Andrew Luck or possibly even Teddy Bridgewater, but I definitely view him as the #2 QB and a guy who would be able to start for an NFL team from day one. I felt his analysis fit Brett Hundley a lot better. Hundley is much better served sitting a year, but he probably won't. Additionally, if Teddy Bridgewater is off the board, I'm fine with them taking an elite talent like Jadeveon Clowney that can instantly bring great improvement to our pass rush.

What else are we going to do? Trading down isn't as easy as it looks on paper. There'd likely be interest, but there's no guarantee that we'd be able to find a trade partner willing to give us the adequate compensation to move down in the draft and potentially miss out on an elite prospect. Besides trading down, who else is there to select at #2? Anybody besides Mariota and Clowney and it's probably going to be a reach and one that doesn't make sense at that.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Yeah if we can't get Teddy I say we give Gabby another year
see if he's the guy, y'know

not even funny to joke about

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: