Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stephen Hill
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETSFOOTBALL25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Stephen Hill Reply with quote

Does Hill remind anyone else of a young Damaryius Thomas? Raw, from GT (a triple option offense), came into the NFL tall, fast, but scrawny. First 2 or 3 years of Thomas in Denver and they all felt he was a bust. It looked like he put on some size going into his 4th year and broke out.

Hill is still pretty skinny and would probably play more confidently if he added another 10-15 pounds. Does anyone disagree that the comparison applies?
JMG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not nearly as physical as him and he was taken 20 picks after DT for a reason

[]_[] Family
RollTide99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alittle, he's not as physical and dosnt have a Peyton Manning throwing him the ball

JMG on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how people can group them 2 together bc of their size and college (Megatron also went there as well) But Hill is far from the player Thomas was/is. Hill is taller by an inch but is still 20lbs lighter than him and it shows, b/c Hill lacks the physical trait to go up and really grab the ball no matter how well he's covered. Let's also not forget a huge reason why Thomas' stats got better last year was b/c Peyton was throwing him the ball. Hill I really do think will be a good player and become a force but I still think he's a year or so away from that. He has to work on his hands, route running, be more physical and develop a chemistry with Geno to take that leap that Thomas did.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas had better hands and was more physical. Thomas's growth was slowed down by Tebow.

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Hill is nowhere close to D.Thomas. Hill is still invisible on 90% of the snaps. THe progress is really coming along slow. I just dont see anywhere near enough. Next year has to be a big year from him or hes going to be buried on the depth chart.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far Hill is a total bust. The guy just can't get open. He never did anything in college, to prove he is a high second round draft pick. Geno Smith needs all the help he can get and he is getting next to nothing from Hill. I am not saying cut him, but he is not a starting WR yet.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stephen Hill Reply with quote

JETSFOOTBALL25 wrote:
Does Hill remind anyone else of a young Damaryius Thomas? Raw, from GT (a triple option offense), came into the NFL tall, fast, but scrawny. First 2 or 3 years of Thomas in Denver and they all felt he was a bust. It looked like he put on some size going into his 4th year and broke out.

Hill is still pretty skinny and would probably play more confidently if he added another 10-15 pounds. Does anyone disagree that the comparison applies?

He was compared to Thomas coming out, since they both played at GT and were pretty raw. Next year will be the true measuring stick of how good he can be. Last year was basically a redshirt year for him, and this year he has shown growth but still needs to improve.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 73 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT: 0
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the comparison is off-base. If your speaking of raw talent, they have similar skill sets. I think you can nit-pick about their styles; Hill having more long speed whereas Thomas being the stronger player, but the biggest difference between the two is the fact that Demaryius Thomas has Peyton Manning throwing him the football. It's unfair logic to suggest that "Demaryius had a breakout-year in his 3rd season, thus Stephen Hill will" just because they are similar prospects. I think Stephen Hill will make a jump in his 3rd year, but don't expect him to be the next Demaryius.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Hill has performed like a competent #2 this year. He hasn't been great by any stretch, but he has certainly flashed greatness at times. I'm really excited to see him potentially grow into a top 10 (or better) receiver.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference I see is that Thomas is a natural pass catcher; he uses his hands much better and his timing on jumps is a notch above Hill.

Hill is a freak of nature but he's really learning how to be a receiver. He still catches way too much with his body.

- Cliff Burton
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither are in the same class of player, but Thomas is built more like Terrell Owens while Hill is more built like a Randy Moss type with deceptive strength.

They've got almost identical career paths, though. Thomas was just as raw Hill coming out and grew exponentially in his third year, which is common for a receiver. Thomas is case in point why the talks of Hill being a bust at this point is absurd, when this is what we signed up for when we drafted him.

ekill08x wrote:
Stephen Hill is nowhere close to D.Thomas. Hill is still invisible on 90% of the snaps. THe progress is really coming along slow. I just dont see anywhere near enough. Next year has to be a big year from him or hes going to be buried on the depth chart.

Thomas and Hill are pretty much in the same spot at the same point in their careers. Thomas, just like Hill, spent his second season disappearing for games at a time and half of his modest second year production are a product of two games. I could not have described Stephen Hill any more.
JETSFOOTBALL25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
Neither are in the same class of player, but Thomas is built more like Terrell Owens while Hill is more built like a Randy Moss type with deceptive strength.

They've got almost identical career paths, though. Thomas was just as raw Hill coming out and grew exponentially in his third year, which is common for a receiver. Thomas is case in point why the talks of Hill being a bust at this point is absurd, when this is what we signed up for when we drafted him.

ekill08x wrote:

Thomas and Hill are pretty much in the same spot at the same point in their careers. Thomas, just like Hill, spent his second season disappearing for games at a time and half of his modest second year production are a product of two games. I could not have described Stephen Hill any more.

exactly my point. I was not trying to compare Hill to Thomas now--that would be asinine.

correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe DT was 230 coming out of GT. He put that weight on over a few years in the league. My hope is that Hill adds the muscle and becomes more physical.

I would also have to agree that the biggest gripe is how Hill is always catching with his body and not his hands.
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hill already is pretty damn strong, deceptively so for a receiver with his leaner frame. Honestly I wish we did more to get the ball in his hands on designed plays. But that's the body type he has and how he'll always be. He'll probably cap off at 220ish whereas Thomas is in the 230 range and a bit shorter.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we took advantage of his 40inch vert in the redzone. Put him in more jump ball situations.

Quote:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: